What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

drill size for AN3 bolts?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Just checking before I drill my empennage hinge brackets for the AN3 bolts. I can't find on my Cleaveland pull-out chart what drill bit I should use for AN3 bolts. I believe AN3 and 1032 are the same type of bolt and the closest bit I have is a #10. Is the #10 bit the one to use?

Thanks,
Steve

I've used my bit so many times that the number is worn off. I know it's not a #10. I believe you should use a #12, which provides for a really close fit. If in doubt, drill a hole through a piece of scrap aluminum and see how good the fit is.

10 fits with just a little slop, 12 for right on. When stacking holes most poeple use a 10.

Thanks

Thanks to all for the quick replies. #12 seems logical. I put my caliper on an AN3 and it measured right between the decimal equivalent for a #13 and #12. I just assumed (yeah, I know) that my original Cleaveland kit would include a #12 if a #12 was needed. The closest they had included in the kit was a #10.

By stacking, Cam, do you mean that if I were for example, say, stacking a hinge bracket onto a spar and spar doubler, that maybe I'd have to use a bigger drill than #12 (you mention a #10) to make everything line up and get the AN3 through the 3 layers?

Thanks again for all the quick help on what should be such a common sense question.

Steve

The rule of thumb I use:

Use #12 everywhere except when a nutplate is involved, then use #10.

If it turns out that #12 is too tight in some particular application - then determine why it is tight and if a #10 would be safe in that application. I've only had to do this a couple of times.

Back