What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 ADS-B Update Letter

mwardle7

Well Known Member
There is a letter on Van's website that mentions the availability of ADS-B 2020 Compliant Avionics Kits (for both Dynon and Garmin) "sometime in February, 2016."

Am I missing something? I can't find a 2020 compliant ADS-B solution on the RV-12 Avionics Kit order forms.

It's being held up by a software bug on the Dynon side, fix is in progress but not complete. Go see the Dynon tech forums for more details. I don't have any information about the Garmin solution.

I figured now that everything has to be SLSA approved.... that might have the effects if slowing things down, so I just ordered it direct from Dynon, and installed it with the new version of 14.

So far, so good. ELSA.

Service bulletin

I got the GPS 2020 through Spruce and installed in Feb. I haven't got to fly with it outside the pattern yet but maybe Thursday morning. However my version 14. Software has been changed several times because I have a Skyview with a serial number below 6000. These early units have revealed some issues and the great support at Dynon have been working on a software resolution.
I haven't had any issues mostly because I haven't had a chance to fly. The SB suggested if you had one of these earlier serial numbered units to install the test V14 software so I have. This most recent version noted this change should do it.

I got the GPS 2020 through Spruce and installed in Feb. I haven't got to fly with it outside the pattern yet but maybe Thursday morning. However my version 14. Software has been changed several times because I have a Skyview with a serial number below 6000. These early units have revealed some issues and the great support at Dynon have been working on a software resolution.
I haven't had any issues mostly because I haven't had a chance to fly. The SB suggested if you had one of these earlier serial numbered units to install the test V14 software so I have. This most recent version noted this change should do it.

I think I was lucky...I did the dual touch upgrade (so newer screens) and then got the 2020 and installed the original V14 and haven't yet updated it.

So far no problems.

I haven't yet done the FAA ADS-B test, but that's because I haven't been flying as much as I would like to be lately.

ADSB 20 20 compliant

I ordered the ADSB from Van's seeing that they were now 20 20 compliant, after receiving antenna I found out it was not the 20 20 compliant ADSB...seems there was a miss communication ...so now I will have to upgrade when it comes available...oh well

I wonder if Van's will sell a plug-n-play ADS-B "out" kit for the early RV-12's w/ Dynon D-180, Garmin 296, Garmin GTX327?

I emailed Van's about selling a plug-n-play ADS-B ?out? kit for the early RV-12's w/ Dynon D-180, Garmin 296, Garmin GTX327.

There response... Not at this time. When the D-180 was conceived, Dynon had no idea that ADS-B was coming, and there were no solutions at the time. We may be able to develop something, but we have not yet looked at what the least expensive practical option might be. Obviously it?s not an immediate problem as it is not required til 2020, and even then only in some airspace.

Garmin fix for D-180

I received a brochure from Garmin a couple of weeks ago. They suggest using a GDL 84 and a flight Stream 110 for use with a GTX 327 and an Ipad to have ADSB in/out.
They also were offering a $200 saving for a limited time.
Anyone else get this brochure?

Gary

I believe all the Garmin products only play nice with the Garmin Pilot app, so if you use some other navigation app you would not get data from the Garmin unit.

Thanks for the update, Steve. It still seems Garmin is taking the same strategy as Sony Beta Vision --- and that didn't go so well!

Rich

I thought this was as good as any thread to post on for this.

A few weeks ago I got a call from an FAA guy who emailed me a compliance report on my ADS-B out performance. I installed a FreeFlight XVR-978 about 18 months ago. The report had some issues with my barometric altitude rate of change (BDELT). After calling Dynon and Garmin I suspected the problem was that the D180 was passing the altitude at 10 ft resolution to the GTX-327, but the transponder was selected to Flight Level versus pressure altitude, so I selected pressure altitude on the GTX-327 and voila! --- the FAA guy sent me a report that everything is fine.

Just posting to let anybody who has the FreeFlight ADSB-Out and D180 may want to make this change on their GTX-327.

Back