What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

vans 35A alternator connection

henriquerv9

Hi all,

I am installing a 35A alternator kit from vans, but unfortunally i lost the manual, wondering if someone can help me with :

THERE'S 3 WIRES - WHITE (N) , GREEN (FIELD) AND BLACK (E) I CONNECTED WHITE AND GREEN WITH NO PROBLEMS, BUT WHERE SHOULD I CONNECT THE E (BLACK WIRE) ?

REGARDS

HENRIQUE CASTRO

Here is what I know

Well if you have F and N connected, plus the output to the battery you have the min wires to make it work. You still need to connect the "A" wire on the voltage regulator.

On Alternator
F is for Field
E is for Earth (gnd)
N is for Neutral (not used with some regulators careful!)
B is for Battery output from alternator

On Voltage regulator
I is for Indicator (light)
A is for Alternator (feed back, regulator control, +pos power)
F is for field and goes to alternator
S is for stator and goes to alternator N (neutral)

I assume you have an external voltage regulator with I, A, S, F? Some regs only have +, gnd and field.

You say you have N and F connected, I assume:

F from alternator to F on regulator (field)
N from alternator to S on regulator (N for Neutral, S is for stator)
E is to ground (possibly no effect if not used, but I would ground it)
B is to the main buss or battery thru circuit protection (40 amp fuse/CB)

The regulator?

"A" on the regulator connected to the main buss (pos 12 volt) thru a fuse/CB (5amps) and switch (aka the ALT switch). (Suggest a panel mounted pull-able CB for wire protection for this circuit, but a fuse will work.) The main buss is controlled or switched with the master or BAT switch and master contactor (relay). The idea is turning off the ALT or BAT switch will kill power to the "A" terminal on the voltage regulator. Consider a comb BAT/ALT switch. The other way to wire the BAT/ALT switch is with one toggle that is double poll, single throw. You need to have a way to remove power to the ALT with the master switch still on. That can be done with a pull-able CB.

"I" (IF USED) is use the low volt light which I would use. The "I" connects to one side of a warning lamp in the panel. The other side of the the light is to a switch/fused pos power supply (main buss) or even the "A" terminal will do with an in-line fuse. (you can leave the "I" disconnected if you don't want to use the light. Van for some reason leave is off always. The no charge light is cheap insurance.)

If you want more info email me, left click my member name and see email address. Good luck. It might be best if you draw it all out and shoot me a copy. I don't want smoke and sparks. I have some sketches I made for another project and old Van sketches. I can email them to you. There is a few ways to wire depending on the VOLTAGE REGULATOR you are using. Also consider installing the charge light if you do not have low volt indication of any kind.

Last edited:
Van's Aircraft publishes a drawing now OP-10 which shows the wiring of both the 35 and 60 amp alternators.

In the case of the 35:

The plug at the alternator has three wires:

Green is the regulator/alternator field connection.
Black goes to engine or alternator case as a ground.
White (sometimes yellow) is cut off and not used.

The voltage regulators can vary a little but the common one:

Green goes to the Green on the alternator.
Red goes to the master buss (+12 vdc).
Black goes to ground.
Yellow (if there) is cut off and not used.

Back