What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Props for rv-6

49clipper

Well Known Member
anyone have a list of the proper length and pitch for an RV-6 with an O-320-D1A? I have a 70CM7516-0-79. Sounds like a lot of pitch to me, but I am new to the RV series.
Jim

The Sensenich propellers for the 0-320 engines have a 2600 RPM red line. The large pitch numbers are designed to keep the propellers below the critical RPMs through the flight envelope of the airplanes they are designed for.

RV6 Prop

My RV6 with an 0-320-E2A, 160 hp., had a Sensenich 70CM6S9-0-79 prop which is a 79" pitch which is what Sensenich recommended and worked just fine. I recently converted to a Hartzell C/S which did improve climb and takeoff performance and possibly some level speed as well but I have not decided if it was worth all the trouble and $$$. I figure at least a $1000 per mile per hour gain or more(more $$$ that is) whereas the FP was not really that bad.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD
165 hours
Northfield, MN

FP to CS prop

I changed fm a FP to CS prop in 2004 on my O-320D2B RV6. The difference in performance is substantial, and was well worth it. Also went fm about 8.5-9 gph at cruise back to about 7.5. Cruise speed the same. The reasons for these results are well known. Note, your engine must have a hollow crank, D1A? Also, the rear crank plug of such an engine must be intact or made so.

I have an RV-6A with an O-320. Initially I had a 150hp motor and a 77" prop, which was a good match. I then upgraded to a 160hp motor and had to get the prop re-pitched to 79" to keep the rpm under control. That wasn't really enough as I was running an E-mag, and so went up to 80". Recently I have made some cooling improvements, installed an updated E-mag and new Slick harness and can now get up to 2640 rpm at low level, not that I stay there for very long. So 81" may not be too much. Bear in mind this is with a 6A. A taildragger might need up to an inch more. Clearly there is a compromise with climb rate, but at 80" I'm still getting >1000 fpm at max weight.

Hope this helps, Pete

Back