What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Key West

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
My family and I are heading to Florida for the spring break. We're spending 3 nights in Key West and 2-3 nights in Port Charlotte.

My girls are 16 and 12, and the boss of course. Any suggestions on what is a must to see? We're going to swim with the dolphins, go parasailing, and I have to find some plane time in there as well!

Going to try to get a tour of the AFB in Key West and go from there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Don

BTW, unless something has changed recently, the base is a Naval Air Station, as opposed to an Air Force Base. Was stationed there back in the 1970's. Great tour, and you will enjoy Key West and environs! ;)

Its not necesary to stay close to Duval st.
The Hilton Doubletree just east of the airport provides airport transportation plus a very frequent (like every 20 min) hotel bus service to Duval st.
I found this via purchasing a snorkel/sailing/hotel package off the internet that was priced well.

A couple of standard things to photo bomb:
Milepost 0 marker for highway 1
Most southerly point marker.
A chicken. :)

If the girls like butterflies there is a Butterfly aviary at the east end of Duval.
It is also fairly common to watch a sunset from the dock area at the west end of Duval. (EDIT. Mallory Square as 1001001 said below. Thanks Dave)

I enjoyed the lighthouse and Hemmingway house tours. The house is full of polydactyl cats (we are cat people).

Try the conch fritters.

Pete is correct, the base is a NAS.

Link to a thread about my trip

There are plenty of threads about Key West. Do a little searching.

Lastly, PAY ATTENTION TO THE CABLED BALLOON near Key West.

Last edited:
I'll put in a plug for the Banana Cafe (at Duval and Louisa; http://www.bananacafekw.com/ ). Great food, wine, and the glassé dessert is a real treat. It's a great place for a lunch or dinner with family.

If you're going to be there a couple of days and want to see more of the island, rental bikes will let you explore more and get beyond the touristy area on the west end of the island. As touristy things go, Mallory Square in the evening is a great people watching opportunity.

This is a place close to the airport, Duval Street, etc. Nice place, pool, and they have a concierge service for all your vacation needs. Try googling: OCTOPUS'S GARDEN @ CORAL HAMMOCK

Where you staying at in Port Charlotte.

Last edited:
Thanks folks!

Toga,

We're staying with my inlaws at the Maple Leaf. We will be arriving on the 15th. How far along are you on your 10? The airport is 16 minutes away from their place.

Would love to see it!

Cheers

Don

Last edited:
Great trip!

Richard,

It was a pleasure meeting you and getting to speak with you about your build and so much more. I really appreciated the opportunity and furthermore, your build looks great! I'll try to catch up to your schedule!

I'm still blown away with the opportunity of meeting Josef and looking at his amazing collection of aircraft. I've never seen such a personal and pristine collection. I would love to be self-loading baggage in the back of his P-51!

I hope your St Paddy's festivities went well and I hope I didn't take up too much of your time. If you ever make it above the frostline, make sure to drop me a note so that I can reciprocate!

Cheers,

Don

For family sightseeing I'd suggest: Little White House in Truman annex, Lighthouse tour, West Martello Gardens, Fort Zachry Taylor for swimming, snorkeling and Picnicking, Eco Center, a Sunset sail, Adubon House & gardens are a few.
For food, Kellys Caribbean bar & grill, Grunts - fish tacos +, Backspace, Abbadonza - italian, Santiagos - tappas, Roostica which is actually on Stock Island, and Better than Sex which is a dessert restaurant.

Back