What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1 Rocket N417G Randy Pflanzer

f1rocket

Well Known Member
This is the fourth airplane that I've built and it was finished in May, 2005. It took me approximately three years from receipt of the empennage kit to first flight. The Rocket currently (as of Dec, 06) has about 120 hours on it. Flight performance is staggering. I can routinely cruise over 200 KTAS sipping just 9.5 GPH (11,000 MSL/ WOT and 2200 RPM) or I can blast off and climb at 3500 FPM guzzling about 28 GPH. Top speed at 1,000 MSL, WOT, 2600 RPM is 214 KTAS.

Paint01.jpg
Paint11.jpg

Larger Image Front View Larger Image Rear View

The paint job was completed by Bobby Potts at Tuscaloosa Interiors. He did a fabulous job and I highly recommend him. It is a PPG base coat/clear coat system using colors from the Chrysler automobiles between 2000 and 2005. The scheme is a combination of a scheme that Scheme Designers completed for me, with some last second changes that Bobby made as he completed it. A complete set of exterior pictures can be found here.

Panel003.jpg
Panel001.jpg
Panel002.jpg

Larger Picture Left Side Larger Picture Center Larger Picture Right Side

The panel is self-expanatory. I love the GRT EFIS units. I plan to add the XM Weather Option this spring. This is an all electric airplane with dual alternators and a single battery.

Rigging120.jpg
Rigging121.jpg

The seats were done by DJ at Cleaveland. She sent me a couple of extra skins and I made sidewalls myself. I added some walnut trim across the bottom of the panel and down the sides to give it a little spice.

Up front, I'm turning a MT Propeller on a Aerosport IO-540-D4A5 which is a standard 260 HP engine with Airflow Performance tuned injectors. I use B&C alternators up front and on the vacumm pad as a backup. I also use a B&C starter. I custom built a plenum system and oil cooler system that has worked great up to this point.

I can't say enough good things about Mark Fredericks and his support at Team Rocket headquarters. Mark is a real stand up guy and has always taken care of any issue I've had. Most folks know this already, but you can follow the entire build process on my web site.

Fly safe everyone.

Last edited:
Gorgeous.

Absolutely stunning, Randy. Beautiful. What power setting is 9.5 GPH? If it's not 75% (which it probably isn't), what's your cruise at 8000 and 75%?

Regards,

pierre smith said:
Absolutely stunning, Randy. Beautiful. What power setting is 9.5 GPH? If it's not 75% (which it probably isn't), what's your cruise at 8000 and 75%?

Regards,

Thanks Pierre,

I have a power chart in my glove box that gives me all the power settings, fuel burns, etc for my engine at 7,500 MSL. At 9.5, I'm probably down below 65% power running WOT and about 2200 RPM. To get 200 KTAS, I'm up over 10K altitude. Up high is where this thing loves to perform and the tuned injectors allow me to run LOP. I'm recalling from memory, but 75% power which would probably be WOT and about 2300-2400 RPM will get me a fuel burn in the area of 12.5 to 13.0 running LOP. The interesting thing is that all more power gets you is a few knots, but a much higher fuel burn. That's why most Rockets run down in the 2100-2200 RPM area. Down low it makes a difference speed-wise, but not much of one up high.

Great job!

Randy,

I think this is the nicest homebuilt plane (or production for that matter) that I have ever seen. You've got a real winner.

Mike

Randy

BEAUTIFUL>>>>>You really have to admire a job not only done, but done right, and looking good.

Now that I have buttered you up..(with the truth)...I am wondering if there is away to get your symbol library for your wiring schematics. I have been working on mine, but your have turned out some great symbols compared to the less than perfect ones I have produced with my computer challenged ability.

TIA and thanks for the great plane you haver built for us and that will challenge us to do more craftsmen like work!!!!

Frank @ SGU and SLC wiring/fiberglass

Nice

You just don't see cream color interiors much, NICE! with the wood or brown earth tones it looks "Classy". Exterior, you don't see gold (?) much either. With the maroon it looks "Rich" and sophisticated, juxtaposition with the aggressive look of the Rocket, the result is a very unique and attractive plane, nicely done, in very good taste. WHO DA THUNK! :D Sincerely jealous George

Randy,

What did you use for interior paint? I'm planning a tan interior similar to your color...

Randy:

Very well done. Your rocket is a perfect example of why homebuilts are a serious contender in SEL aircraft today. Seriously, who would not want to own that aircraft??????

cjensen said:
Randy,

What did you use for interior paint? I'm planning a tan interior similar to your color...
It is rattle can paint from Wally World, something like "American Classics" textured paint. It wears pretty good and I usually touch it up during my condition inspection.

Last edited:
What a totally beautiful airplane! I am impressed.

Your comments on more fuel burn and not a whole lot more speed are interesting. I've noticed it also on a much less grand scale.

David Domeier
Troy, Missouri

Beautiful

Very Beautiful Rocket. :) There if one MF Rocket, one Super 8 and a Harmon Rocket in my close area and I've always loved the look and stance that they have. Very nice work and performance numbers! Want to trade it for my slower -6??? :D

Nice job!

I checked some of the additional pictures on your website. Tell us more about the tubing coming out of each cowling inlet and the exhaust hangers.

The tubing is the inlet to pressurize the turbo rails on my fuel injection system. These help me to run LOP at slower power setting and higher altitudes. The exhaust hangers are the standard hangers that Larry Vetterman provides in his kit. Nothing special there.

f1rocket said:
The tubing is the inlet to pressurize the turbo rails on my fuel injection system. These help me to run LOP at slower power setting and higher altitudes. The exhaust hangers are the standard hangers that Larry Vetterman provides in his kit. Nothing special there.
OK. I'm not familiar with the rubber donut-looking part of the hanger setup. My Vetterman hangers are made of tube and rubber hose. Thx.

Back