What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetos

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hi All,

What are you using for mags? My buddy just bought his Mattituck engine and got two "P-Mags" on it.

I like the sounds of it.

Any war stories?

P-Mag info

Input requested!

:D CJ

E-mag

I've been using an E-mag (P-mag without the generator) for the last 30 hours. So far no problems at all, very easy to install, and the guys who make them are a pleasure to deal with. I use automotive plugs and the manifold pressure input. I'm going to fit a P-mag inplace of the other mag in the summer.

Yours, Pete

Cool! That is a check mark in the "Good" column!

Tell me about the Lightspeeds and how they compare.

Are there any other "Electronics" that I should know about?

:confused: CJ

Keep it coming!

I too hope to use the E-mag / P-mag combo on my O-290 but am waiting until the engine is hung before buying them.

In the mean time, all the info on these things you can post is welcome!

P-Mag

I too have been running a P-Mag for about three month (30+hrs) and am very impressed by it. The engine has been tranformed quite significantly. It starts like a modern car, hot or cold, runs a lot smoother and best of all I get a 4mph higher indicated air speed in cruise on my digital AIS. If I pull the power back to the same speed as before it results in a 1" reduction in MP. Installation is very easy and clean, the system looks just like a mag with no parts outside it's mag-like body. After installing several other electronic systems, this one is a snap. The RV7A I am now building will have two P-Mags on it.

Martin Sutter
RV6, Lyc. o-360 w/ c.s. prop

What other ignition?

Martin,

I have a jeff rose system running the bottom plugs and was going to order a p-mag for the top. I understand you have a p-mag, but what other ignition source are you running?

thanks,

Jason

EMag notes

I have not run my engine yet but can share my experience with the EMag.

My O-320 has a Slick mag on the left and EMag on the right. I used the auto plugs and harness kit supplied by EMag. Very complete kit including crimping tools for the plug wires. I had the mag recalled before installation for a firmware (software) upgrade and installation of a better oil seal. All at no charge. The great folks there continue to send email info out on the mag development based on customer feedback and / or service bulletins.

Currently the Emag is being reduced in size slightly and the adjustable timing switch is being changed to a new type of switch on the body, instead of the connector.

I just timed the EMag on my engine (first start coming soon). Only problem was when the EMag was free of the engine it was not grounded. It must be grounded to get the timing beeper to beep. I suspect my ground wire in the mag harness is faulty, but I ran a jumper to the EMag for the timing process. The Slick mag will be a pain to set compared to the EMag. No extra tools required. If it beeps at TDC - it is good to go.

Hopefully I will be able to provide flight info before the end of the year. I will likely move to a PMag on the left before too long. I really like the advantages of this setup.

Back