What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA-340 static

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Now that I've got my SL-30 figured out (thanks for the mic gain tip, guys! Works great now that I turned down low with my Lightspeed 30-3G's)...

I have static or wind noise in my intercom system, a GMA-340. It's so bad that when I'm just flying by myself, I have my GMA-340 turned down ALL the way. I turn it up and it appears... almost like a soft static or wind like noise. Are there any settings I can tweak on this box? Definitely not a squelch issue.

Thanks in advance!

Just a couple quick troubleshooting things...are your headset/mic jacks isolated? Are your antennas grounded correctly? Are all your audio wires shielded? Is the avionics ground sharing any obvious ground points with "noisy" equipment?

It may be your 340, but more likely than not it's something else....don't know what - that's always the fun part...trying to figure that out.

Cheers,
Stein.

Yes, yes and yes. Jacks are isolated. It was wired by one of your competitors (sorry!) with quality grounding.

One point to note is that I bought it from (ahem) Gulf Coast Aero. They sold to me as "new" although when I received it - it was yellow tagged. They claimed a guy bought it for his Beech but decided not to install it but it was still new. They misled me and it was yellow tagged by Garmin instead.

Maybe it has something to do with being used?

Hi Scott,

#1...yellow tags aren't slapped on units for no reason..(if the yellow tag was from Garmin it was sent back to them for some reason), if it was indeed "new" and in fine condition having never been used there would be no reason to send it back to Garmin for a yellow tag just for the heck of it.

First and foremost I would send the unit back and get a "real" new one. Other than that, I'm afraid that there isn't much for adjustment on the unit itself other than the knobs up front. The "pots" that you can access from the top are: MKR Sense & Audio Level, Music Mute Trip Level, Mic SPKR levels for pilot & co pilot and then radio spkr level. The squelch adjustments are from the knobs.

If your unit was sold to you as brand new then it should cover new warranty.....I'd go that route if it were me!

Cheers,
Stein.

Resolution!

Thanks to Alan and Jamie for helping me get this figured out. Now that I'm outta Phase I and can actually take people, they helped me eliminate this white (wind) noise. Turns out it was a squelch problem. Not on the pilot side but on the copilot side. It was like having a stuck mic.

So I guess I never paid attention (or should have gotten the better PMA 8000 audio panel with automatic squelch). The noise is gone and there is no ground loop! That's music to my ears - errr I mean - no more static to my ears.

Scott Will said:
Thanks to Alan and Jamie for helping me get this figured out. Now that I'm outta Phase I and can actually take people, they helped me eliminate this white (wind) noise. Turns out it was a squelch problem. Not on the pilot side but on the copilot side. It was like having a stuck mic.

So I guess I never paid attention (or should have gotten the better PMA 8000 audio panel with automatic squelch). The noise is gone and there is no ground loop! That's music to my ears - errr I mean - no more static to my ears.

Scott,

Glad to help, you have a wonderful airplane - and one that's faster than my lancair (at the moment - he mad me concede that until mine is flying :) ).

I had a great time, with you yanking and banking, while my head was under the instrument panel (oh, I can't wait for the comments to that one) - Not...

Any time, you know my number.....

Back