What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Eggy failure

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
This came from a friend of mine who has a Glastar and is on a list dedicated to this plane. (He has originally purchased an NSI engine and lost several thousand dollars on the deal. Now has a Lycoming)

NTSB Identification: NYC07LA026
> 14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
> Accident occurred Friday, November 10, 2006 in Snow Shoe, PA
> Aircraft: Vogel Glastar 41, registration: N441AV
> Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.
>
> This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain
> errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report
> has been completed.
>
> On November 10, 2006, about 2145 eastern standard time, an amateur-built
> Vogel Glastar 41, N441AV, was substantially damaged when it impacted trees
> and terrain near Snow Shoe, Pennsylvania. The certificated private pilot
> was seriously injured and the pilot-rated passenger/owner was fatally
> injured. Night visual meteorological conditions prevailed. No flight plan
> was filed for the flight from Hazelton Municipal Airport (HZL), Hazelton,
> Pennsylvania, to Metcalf Field (TDZ), Toledo, Ohio. The personal flight
> was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.
>
> According to a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, the pilot
> was receiving flight following when he reported to air traffic control
> personnel that he had lost engine power. The airplane then descended below
> radar coverage and force-landed in some woods.
>
> The pilot subsequently reported to the inspector that the engine first
> went to partial power, then lost all power.
>
> On-scene examination of the wreckage confirmed that the engine was not
> operating at the time of impact. Further examination of the Eggenfellner
> Subaru 2.5 liter engine has been planned.
>
>
>
> To reply: mailto:[email protected]
>

This was posted on the Eggenfellner group list the week after it happened (by Jan). Jan is working with the FAA/NTSB to try and determine just what the problem was.

What happened

rodrv6 said:
This was posted on the Eggenfellner group list the week after it happened (by Jan). Jan is working with the FAA/NTSB to try and determine just what the problem was.
So what was the consciences speculation on the yahoo group? The engine was not making power at the time of the impact according to the NTSB. We may never know to true reason? The prob cause takes a year or so to be released. One of the cool Power-Sport RV-8's (rotary) went down due to a single electric switch.

Last edited:
Speculating, in my opinion, doesn't accomplish much without more investigation. That may be why no one on the Eggenfellner List is doing it. Last word from Jan (Dec. 1) was that he was trying to coordinate with the NTSB/FAA to get access to the plane to examine it. We'll have to wait and see.

gmcjetpilot said:
So what was the consciences speculation on the yahoo group? The engine was not making power at the time of the impact according to the NTSB. We may never know to true reason? The prob cause takes a year or so to be released. One of the cool Power-Sport RV-8's (rotary) went down due to a single electric switch.

George,

At this time, it is a good bet the wreckage is under lock and key by authority of the government and the insurance company. It will stay that way until a probable cause is determined and all legal matters are resolved. The only way Jan can get to the airplane to inspect the engine is if representatives of the government and insurance company are present. As of 2 weeks ago, an appointment to do this fell through.

Jan flew in from Florida 2 days after my accident 2003. I made an appointment with the FAA, AVEMCO and the guy who owned the wrecked airpane warehouse, and we all met at the secure facility to inspect the airplane. It took Jan about 5 minutes to determine the cause of the engine shut down. Based on first hand observation, the FAA, insurance company and I agreed with his finding. The matter was settled and the airplane released within 3 days.

When Jan inspects this airplane, he will find and report the cause of the engine failure, if at all possible.

David Domeier
RV-7A
H6 Subaru

Roger

David-aviator said:
When Jan inspects this airplane, he will find and report the cause of the engine failure, if at all possible. David Domeier, RV-7A H6 Subaru
Roger that, Thanks for the info, Thoughts and prayers for them and their families. G

Powersport RV-8 went down?

gmcjetpilot said:
One of the cool Power-Sport RV-8's (rotary) went down due to a single electric switch.

I never heard about this...does anyone know what switch, etc? I searched the NTSB for RV-8 accidents and didn't find it...

dl
RV-9A; 13B

This happened just after Oshkosh '05. It had two electrical systems going thru a single power (master) switch. So, when one of the electrical systems went down, the other followed immediately. Jim Clarke made a dead stick landing with his wife onboard. It was rough, and they went off the end, but they are both still with us. A broken bone and some cuts where the worst injuries.

:(

Ironflight said:
I must be missing something David....I don't see an RV-8 on that link at that date.... :confused:

Sorry about the confusion. I was refering to the GlaStar/Subby that went down in PA on November 10, not the RV-8 in the preceeding message.

dd

Back