What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tru-Trak EFIS ?

Squeak

Well Known Member
Has anyone look at the Tru-Trak website. Looks like they are getting ready to launch an EFIS unit. Coming Soon Finally round instrument readability and true sunlight visibility. Am I reading this right? Was ready to order a Dynon to finish running the probe wires for the firewall forward work and saw this. Really like the look of round instruments on an EFIS. Anyone have more information?
Squeak

Not a true EFIS

At Oshkosh, they had literature for this unit, and it caught my eye. I talked to them at some length about it. I was disapointed to learn that it is not a true EFIS per se, but it displays pseudo-attitude information in the same way that their ADI does, and A/S and alt are GPS derived. It might make a nice backup instrument, but not as a primary.

I was at Oshkosh also but missed seeing that unit, too much to look at. That is disappointing about A/S and Alt are GPs derived. Guess need to get the Dynon 180 ordered and continue on with the project. Thanks for the reply and information.

Squeak

Firewall Forward &
Finishing Kit RV7A

Is the pitch display really pitch? Or just some "gyro stabilized vertical speed"? Just curious if it's like their ADI products or whether it's really a "flight instrument."

dan said:
Is the pitch display really pitch?
Nope, it's the same as the ADI instrument. OK as a backup if you understand it's limitations, but not as a primary pitch reference.

I saw a demo Tru-trak unit at the Vans Homecoming. It was rather strange looking.

If you want round instruments, AFS and I believe Dynon now have a round dial page on their EFIS.

Corrections

I have just returned from a couple of days at Tru-Trak, and thought I should correct some misconceptions.

The upcoming EFIS uses solid state pressure sensors to provide actual indicated airspeed from the airspeed pitot, and barometric altitude as usual with a flight instrument.

It does use GPS as an input for ground track reference, which is displayed on an HSI-like display. It will not have a magnetometer, or an AHRS. It does use 3-axes of solid state gyros, of the same high quality used in the Sorcerer autopilot, that will continue to fly the a/c for some time if the GPS signal is lost.

It will continue to display vertical speed where most artificial horizons show pitch. The display information is derived from the barometric altimeter, a gyro for short-term stability, and GPS data. Tru-track will continue to present that as a superior reference for controlling an airplane in IMC.

The vertical speed indication is instantaneous. GPS ground speed will also be indicated.

The round dials for indicated airspeed and altitude are options, a linear tape representation will also be available as a user option.

I recently read a book about the SR-71 and learned that the AH in that airplane also displayed vertical speed rather than pitch. Of course, it is easy to imagine that a 1 degree pitch-up would result in quite a rate of climb at Mach 3! I have the same problem in my RV8 :D

The sunlight readability of the display is excellent. It will be no problem in any bubble cockpit.

The unit will also include an integrated 2-axis autopilot with altitude pre-select and vertical speed select.

Mr/Ms Moderator, shouldn't this be moved to the EFIS section?

Back