What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RCA cable audio to intercom

BlackRV7

Well Known Member
Don't ask me why I am asking this question but it is in my airplane:)

I need to connect an RCA audio cable pair (red and white) to my in-panel intercom. The harness to the intercom is wired with one wire for right, one for left. The wire inside the RCA cables is like antenna wire, inner core wrapped in strands, much like your ol basic cable TV wire. Quick question, how do I use the male red/white RCA plugs, snip the wire and connect these wires to the R/L single wires on the intercom?

BTW, the single pair intercom wire is shielded.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Mo info

BlackRV7 said:
Don't ask me why I am asking this question but it is in my airplane:)

I need to connect an RCA audio cable pair (red and white) to my in-panel intercom. The harness to the intercom is wired with one wire for right, one for left. The wire inside the RCA cables is like antenna wire, inner core wrapped in strands, much like your ol basic cable TV wire. Quick question, how do I use the male red/white RCA plugs, snip the wire and connect these wires to the R/L single wires on the intercom?

BTW, the single pair intercom wire is shielded.

Thanks,
You have a few choices:

First try to connect just the center lead from the RCA plug to the respective input to the intercom. (I'll tell you how I suggest below) Forget the ground from the RCA plug. It should work with one wire. Just connect the center conductor to their respective L or R channel. Single wire may work, but if not you will have to do something different. I have ideas of how to overcome that.

The intercom should (?) have a ground for the audio, at least one for both left and right. You should avoid connecting the RCA plug grounds (ring) DIRECTLY together or to the airframe ground, usually, but if needed there is a right way to do it. You use small capacitor and resistor to connect the ground together and than intercom audio ground (which I think you have but you indicate you do not). This "isolates" the channels. It may not be necessary but depends on the audio source. Avoid grounding the RCA jack grounds to airframe if at all possible. It's a great way to make noise in your audio systems.

RCA plugs and Cables
Going from RCA to aviation is a pain and little messy. I suggest not dealing with the pre made RCA patch cables; I would consider tossing them and making your own cable up from RCA plugs and using a shield AWG18 braid aviation wire or hookup wire.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/dappletoftebay/neutrikphono2.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/edmotefzel.php
or
http://www.steinair.com/wire.htm
(awg18 shielded, get the one with outer insulation over the braid.)

Those patch cable wires are hard to work with and nothing special, just cheap and mass produced. If you must use them, consider using an adapter at the plug a RCA jack, than wire from there. Cutting and splicing may not be pretty with low quality cables. You can use high quality patch cables and chop it up, but I like wiring a plug with aviation wire.

If you don't use the shield (ground) just terminate it at the intercom with out connecting it to the intercom. If the intercom has an audio ground than use that. I still think you may have to connect the ground one way or another. Most intercoms have audio grounds. Again L & R ground tied together in one will work but suggest a small non-polarized capacitor and/or resisitor. I can explain if you get to that.

NEED MORE INFO:

What kind of intercom do you have?
What are the RCA plugs coming from? (radio, CD, audio device).
Check for a common audio input ground? (most have one ground)

Email me if you like more info: [email protected]

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
You have a few choices:

NEED MORE INFO:

What kind of intercom do you have?
What are the RCA plugs coming from? (radio, CD, audio device).
Check for a common audio input ground? (most have one ground)

Email me if you like more info: [email protected]

George, I have a PS Engineering PM3000 Stereo panel mount intercom. I am going from a DVD player to the intercom. The intercom is wired into the Garmin 430, etc. using a pre built harness from Steinair (great work). I have the headsets wired in and can talked on the radio, use the intercom, etc. The two inputs left each are paired/shielded wire aviation wire. Each pair is pre marked left and right. My totally inept electrical mind said, "Dana, that braided shield on the RCA cables has to go somewhere". Apparently not. I was only going to use a very short, 1", portion of the existing RCA black cable to splice in aviation wire to go to the intercom harness.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Its a tangled web we weave

BlackRV7 said:
My totally inept electrical mind said, "Dana, that braided shield on the RCA cables has to go somewhere". Apparently not. I was only going to use a very short, 1", portion of the existing RCA black cable to splice in aviation wire to go to the intercom harness. Thanks for the thoughts.
Yes an audio speaker needs a positive and a ground. That ground can come from different places. We're talking about connecting two amp, the audio source amp to the intercom amp.

YOUR PS Engineering does have an audio ground and you may want to use it. You can try the one wire approach but I would use the audio ground provided, which I am pretty sure PS Eng has.

You are using a Car audio device CD/DVD or an audio source; some of these amps have separate "grounds" for each channel. This is a balanced audio output and really is two HOTs and a ground null, but for conversation we will call it discrete grounds. This is typical of high powered hi-end car audio. Make sure you know what you have. A little portable device and high powered radio are two different things.

Others amps typical of little portables or less expensive car audio have the same ground for both channels L&R (un-balanced).

Some have NO ground and its all in common ground through the chassis which the radio and speaker are attached. This "no ground" approach was done in (old) cars for years. They stopped because its terrible, but in those installations there was ONE wire to the speaker.

Know what kind of intercom and audio source you have. I can guess but you have to confirm.

Besides the source, you need to know the kind of audio amp the intercom has. THAT IS WHERE THE MISMATCH OCCURS. Most aviation intercoms are the weak link and sometimes can be a poor match for the audio source. The PS engineering is one of the best so you should have an audio ground. There are solutions I'll go over.

Remember we are talking AUDIO not power distribution, so things get a little more complicated in that very small voltage difference can cause noise. The ground is a great place for noise to get in, e.g., common-mode current, sometimes called ground-loop. Also audio is more like AC current than DC. So think AC not DC with audio signals. That is why audio is susceptible to AC power 60 Hz humms. DC is good for audio but mixing DC power and AC audio can cause noise as well, especially with a AC based alternator. The AC ripple in the power system can be picked up by the audio easily if grounds are not isolated. That's why good intercoms have discreat grounds for the output amp and input (headset phone and mic jacks are isolated).

Apparently from BlackRV7's post, his intercom does not have ANY provision for audio ground. That's fine when dealing with a source of the same kind. Bad news is many audio sources are isolated and balanced. There is a way around it.

SO WHERE DOES THE AUDIO GROUND COME FROM?

Mixing power ground and audio ground is typical of most cheap amps, but it's far from ideal for Hi-Fi. It does not mean its bad, just not super Hi-Fi and is more susceptible to noise. You do what you have to do to make it work.

Here are the three choices to deal with this, I see:

My first advice is do nothing with audio ground as I suggested as see what happens. You can't hurt any thing, and if you can hear the "tunes", leave the audio grounds disconnected. Keep the shield on the center audio wire up to the intercom. Keep the jack and shield grounded on the audio source side.

If the above does not work, ground the audio device chassis to the airframe, if possible. With portable devices, typically battery powered or powered thru isolated power supply (adapters), there is no way to ground it to the airframe. That's fine but may put you in a pickle if your intercom has no audio ground input. Which leads us to the last choice.

Last choice, ground the audio ground'(s) to the airframe. This will be a good place (a must) for a noise filter (isolation filter) as I mentioned, resistor or capacitor or both. You have to play with the values. Too much resistance Ohms, volumn is shot. Check the output impedance (Ohm) and use that resistor value to start. (iPods I think are 32 ohms) Too much "attenuation" go with less resistance. For the capacitor, a small non-polarized 0.1 or 0.22 uF non-polarized type. Try to ground the audio grounds exactly at the same location the intercom pwr is grounded (the ground bus). EE types please add $0.02, you may be laughing. Feel free to correct me if I'm off base.

I do know balanced outputs are not a good match for airplane intercoms, and NOT to ground either BAL lead to ground (see comments below).​

What to do with ONE or NO audio ground for both channels (L/R)?

It gets a little sticky because some aviation intercoms have either NO audio ground or one audio ground for both L & R channel. So every case is different.

Those little amps are not that temperamental and that is normal and fine since that is all they usually output. Portable audio devices with little phone jacks have ONE ground for both L & R channels. If you tie the hots together for mono you can damage the amp.

Balance amps are typically hi-powered, hi-end, hi-fi stereos, some not. This may apply to you. If it's a balanced amp, like a high powered car stereo, do not ground the either lead to ground. You will blow it up. You must either isolate them or possibly try the one wire trick? How do you isolate? Carefully. It may be involve more than capacitor & resistors (larger ones). You may also audio isolation transformer or small amp, but this is at the limits of my ignorance. I think they sell a "Bal to Un-Bal converter" commercially (radio shack isolator, model:270-054?). I highly recommend NOT using high powered balanced car stereos w/ little aviation intercoms. Its a bad match. If you must, be careful.

Stereo to mono?

NEVER tie stereo L & R hot or positive audios together, stereo to mono. People do that with little portables and get a way with it, but its ugly. Again filters / isolation with capacitor and resistors will do the trick just like the audio ground. Again DO not do this with high powered amps, only low powered portable devices.

If you have your heart set on a car stereo get one with aux low gain output or low power. El-cheap stereo is fine because you are running it thru a milli-watt intercom and aviation headsets. No need for a $2000 high power stereo to listen thru a cracker-jack box.

Most of the so called stereo aviation intercoms are really not stereo inside or made for Hi-Fi inputs. They are for low powered portable devices. This is the quandary, but we can force it with enough capacitors, resistor, transistors and isolation transformers.

Here is an article that goes into detail: http://www.equitech.com/support/wiring.html

(PS you can just cut the RCA patch cable and splice but some are poor quality. Good quality patch cables are better but hate to ruin it just for an RCA plug. My choice is buy RCA plugs and connect with aviation shielded wire from the get go, it's cleaner.)

Last edited:
Easy fix

OK gang, splicing into the RCA cables close to the plugs on the DVD player worked fine. No need to to do anything with the grounds other than keep them out of the way. Same deal with the Ipod. Get a splitter that goes form the Ipod headphone jack to R/L RCA plugs (Radeo Shack). Cut the plugs off and splice into the R/L stereo input of the intercom. I ran the Ipod cable into my center console. Now all I do is open the console lid, plug in the Ipod and instant music or audio books for Elaine on long cross countries. Now, where to put that cup holder?????

Thanks George.

Back