What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Dog Island Field Day (Ned Linch RV-4)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...brought to my attention by Ned Linch (RV-4).

"I?m submitting the following article for your RV trip report files. In 2005, I flew my RV-4 to Dog Island, off the coast of NW Florida to set up my ham radio for ARRL?s Field Day. Thought you might like the report for your trip report area. Dog Island has a short grass/sand runway and is no problem for an RV. The island has a small Inn (Pelican Inn) and is very remote and secluded. The only way to get to the island is by plane or boat so you don?t see a lot of folks. No restaurants, TV, telephone etc?. so very private. $10 landing fee."
Ned Linch
N147CP RV-4

Article link: http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2005/07/11/1/?nc=1

E.jpg

Dog Island (Isle de Chien)

Took my sweetie on her first flight to Dog Island (On the Gulf of Mexico 'curve' in the state of Florida-south of Tallahassee,etc) back in 1974 in our 1939 Luscombe 8A. It was fun then.

I had an AF jet student who had a WWII era Taylorcraft L-2 (tandem T-craft). After telling my stud about the trip down, he loaded up the L-2 with bottles and cans and proceeded to bomb the sharks between the mainland and the island. I would be afraid that an engine failure would put me in the water with angry sharks.

Camp Gordon Johnston and Dog Island

My dad served three years in WWII at Camp Gordon Johnston which included Dog Island. He had a desk assignment and never went overseas but he was very proud of his service in the U.S. Army. His Army buddies had reunions every 4 years during my growing up years, and then as they got older, they got together every two years. My Mom and Dad went to every reunion except one, and that was only because Mom was battling cancer. Dad attended the last reunion in 1995 (50th anniversary of the end of WWII), and it was held at Tallahassee. Only a few were able to attend.

I wish now I had asked him more questions about Camp Gordon Johnston. I do remember my mother saying she didn't like the sand and mosquitoes!

I do know that his army outfit was a very close-knit group.

For you guys whose Dads are still able, take them to see an old friend in your RV. Dad and I made two such trips and had one more planned, but his stroke prevented the third trip.

If he were still alive, I would plan a trip to Dog Island. I'm sure he would have enjoyed it.

Don

Back