What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Band Saw

rleffler

Well Known Member
I'm gettnig ready to take the plunge......

I see that many have band saws. Can I get by with an inexpensive Ryobi/Rigid/Delta for $99? These all seem to run 3000 rpm.

Or do I really need a variable speed to drop things down to the 300-400 rpm range?

Is the distance between the blade and the saw critical? I'm not sure how long a typical piece being cut is and how long the stock it's being cut off are?

For ten years I've had excellent success with an el-chepo Delta band saw & 1/4" by 6 tpi "wood blades". It's "one" speed too, and does wonders with aluminum sheet, aluminum pipes, and aluminum angle stock!

For woodworking, I have a much larger bandsaw, but don't care to use it on aluminum.

L.Adamson

edit: if you need to cut a long tube, angle, etc, either use a tubing cutter or a cutoff wheel on a handheld air diegrinder. Another excellent tool, is the Delta 1" bench grinder. I've seen wider belt grinders that have a round grinding disc on the side, that gets in the way.

Last edited:
No to Ryobi

I tried one of the 99.00 Ryobi band saws for general, non-metal use around the shop. It is an unmitigated piece of junk. Pieces began falling off almost immediately. During a blade change, I discovered that the tensioner had a screw twisted off during manufacture. Finally, the plastic tire on the top wheel snapped, killing it. Neither Ryobi nor Home Depot showed the slightest interest in fixing it under warranty so I scrapped it.

Bought a 12" Craftsman floor standing bandsaw (119.224000) on sale which I like a lot. It is steel-frame construction rather than cast but seems pretty robust. Runs at 1450/3000 FPM (use 1450 for Al). I had some 14tpi 1/2" hardback blades made and it works great. Slices Al like butter. Did a home project using some 2" steel angle stock. 1400 fpm is too fast for steel but with Boelube and light feed pressures it did OK with that too. (Changed the blade after, though).

In contrast, the Ryobi DP100 10" 5-speed drill press is a little jewel and I love it. I am told that the Ryobi name has been bought and sold and stuck on lots of stuff. Some of it is great, some is junk.

I consider both essential.

Hope this helps
John

I've got the Delta $99 model. It came with a wood blade but 59 1/2" metal cutting blades are easy to find at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Push comes to shove you can get the blades off the internet. I recommend getting at least 2 because they do wear out. The saw works well and you can't beat the price.

Todd

I've got the small Grizzly. Great on wood, can't get it to cut straight on AL, no matter how much I fiddle with the blade guides it always wants to veer off to the left. The little Delta seems to be popular around here and I hear no complaints. Get a blade with 12 tpi or more & it will cut Al quite well.

OTH, since I can't seem to cut Al straight, I have tried the die grinder & it works very well and you can buy one for less than $20 from HF.

Do yourself a favor and replace the blade that comes with the Band Saw right off the bat with a metal-cutting blade. You can get one quickly from McMaster-Carr. The default blade wouldn't not cut straight on aluminum thicker than 1/16". With the new metal blade, no problem!

If a bandsaw cuts to one side, it's a sign that the "set" has been knocked off the blade. A new blade should cut straight.

Ryobi = ****-ola!

Save yourself the misery and get anything other than a Ryobi. Throat is always too shallow, eats blades like there's no tomorrow, absolutely will not cut a straight line after about 3 cuts. It is due to the set - but ****! And try buying a rubber "wheel" for the blade wheel. Fagiddaboutid!!

The 12" Craftsman mentioned above is worth the price. Now a chop saw... I've been using the Harbor Freight cheapo for 3 years, absolutely no problems - but hey, come on, it's a chop saw :D

Last edited:
watch out for plastic bandsaw table parts

I have the $99 Ryobi bandsaw, and I bought a metal cutting hacksaw type blade right away. It works "ok" on aluminum angle, but not the best. The only problem is that there is a yellow circular plastic insert in the table where the blade goes through, about 1.5 inch diameter. Guess what happens when you are cutting metal and it gets hot! You get a melted plastic insert!!

Still, a useful tool that I wouldn't want to be without. I use it for very rough cuts only.

Harbor Freight sale

Tailkit is here, but shop is not ready. BUT getting closer. Today, I picked up a small horizontal/vertical 4.5" bandsaw on sale for $150. 1hp, 3 speeds, Cast iron and not much plastic. Should be a good enough unit for a hobbyist. Spare metal blades $9.99. Can't have too many tools...can ya?

p.s. 1% of the time, I envy you builders who live close to Aircraft Spruce, Avery, Harbor Freight, etc...I drove 200miles(1way) to spend $300 on goodies. But the other 99%, I glad I'm in Montana.

hydroguy2 said:
Tailkit is here... Should be a good enough unit for a hobbyist. .

Hobbyist !!!??? Brother - stand by for assimilation !! :) This ain't no hobby. :eek:

Tools etc

Sorry to put this with band saw but didn't know how to start a new thread. Was at Harbor Freight and found on sale the three pack of step drills (to 1/2" in 5 steps and 1/2" in many steps and larger one to 3/4"). I've used these on much of my project and although they have two cutting flutes instead of one, work about as well as my very expenseve Irwin bits, even on the firewall. They are on sale for $12.99 - what a deal, even come with a little pouch. The chuck ends are slightly larger than the Irwins so don't fit in their extensions. They also have a click stop 3/8 torque wrench for just under $20. Haven't tested it yet. Wish I new about these before spending megabucks at my local hardware store. Bill

Well I broke my first blade on my El Cheapo Delta this weekend, which one should I replace it with?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=0&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=59%201/2"%20metal%20cutting%20blades

This one, maybe.

18 TPI x 3./8"

But pretty slim pickins' there. You might be better off looking up a saw shop that makes bandsaw blades (Its not hard, cut to length, butt-weld, grind smooth). Tell them what you are cutting, what saw you have, how fast it runs in feet/min (the cheapies are about 3000) and let em make one to spec.

That's what I did. After consulting Machinerys Handbook and scratching my head over the options, I called D&R Saw in Dallas, told them what I wanted to do and took what they recommended (an assortment of 14-18 TPI, 1/2"-1/4" wide, hardback and bimetals). They work great.

I never found what I wanted at Lowes/HD/Sears. After getting on board with D&R, I mentioned them to the Sears guy and now he sends bandsaw customers to them as well. Its just too easy.

You should be able to find an outfit nearby that makes blades.

Hope this helps,
John

little Delta

I have the little $99 Delta job and I love it. I use the metal blade they sell at Lowes in it and it works great. I've only replaced the blade once and that is only because I found out the hard way that the "metal" blade doesn't like chromoly. LOL

Oh I also found online where you can buy a nice fence for this saw which could come in handy for making long straight cuts.

Back