What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best primer after cleaning up surface corrosion?

mosquito

Well Known Member
Hi,

I've discovered some corrosion in the seatpan area of my 19yr old -6. I've been using Napa 7220 for 'new build' stuff, but I don't think it has the corrosion inhibition of zinc chromate, and it seems prudent to protect this area since it's already corroded once.

I'd really rather brush on this primer than spray it in my cockpit. I also feel like I could get more complete coverage brushing on.

Lastly, a single part solution that is available in a smallish quantity without breaking the bank would be just great.

Do I ask too much? Should I just get a can of Napa 7222 and spray away? Maybe the 7220 is fine if it's clean enough? Any suggestions?

As always, thanks!

-jon

Last edited:
Napa 7222

Thought the 7222 was a Zinc Chromate primer. Maybe it used to be, but doesn't appear to have any Zinc Chromate according to its data sheet: http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/871604pdf?$PDF$

...despite being called 'Zincrom.' Hmph.

I'll go two part if it makes sense. But I only have a little under 1 square foot to prime.

4" Disposable Roller

I'll go two part if it makes sense. But I only have a little under 1 square foot to prime.

On some small parts using 2 part epoxy primer and not wanting to spend the time to clean my airbrush/spraygun, I've used a 4" foam disposable house paint roller available from the aviation paint department of Home Depot.

To the OP...

I think you could drape throw-away sheets and towels over your canopy, panel, windscreen, baggage compartment, and fuselage sides. Having accomplished that, you could get a can of ZC rattle can primer from Spruce and blast away. Or, you could get a pint of the stuff and brush it on.

By the way, I draped my cockpit as described above when I was doing some panel mod's last year. I made several big cuts in the existing panel with cut-off wheels and the draped fabric kept the dust from getting *everywhere*. I assume it would do the same for primer.

Last edited:
There are some zinc chromate primers listed on SkyGeek -- just go there and search for "zinc chromate primer" and some rattle cans will come up. I don't know what specs they meet, but its gotta be better than no chromates at all. Before people get all hot and bothered by that statement, that comment only applies to copper alloys like 2024. That allow is the most difficult (by far) to protect.

Otherwise you would need someone building close to get a small amount of 2K primer with chromates. The smallest amount I could find in the last month is a gallon kit.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the input everyone, good ideas. I'll drop-cloth and mask the rest of the cockpit and shoot some real ZC on it.

-jon

Back