PDA

View Full Version : Stratus wanna-be (Stratux)

Pages : [1] 2

Raymo
08-19-2015, 07:00 AM
For those that like a challenge and have some technical skills, here is an inexpensive (~$120) way to get ADS-B in the cockpit. Improvements are on-going, according to the author.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/related/3fscia/the_11390_adsb_receiver_for_foreflight_or_pretty/

EDIT: Follow-up post with the latest info from the author.
https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/3g7urb/the_11390_adsb_receiver_for_foreflight_or_pretty/

I already bought a Stratus II but thinking of doing this anyway in the next month or so.

xavierm
08-19-2015, 08:24 AM
I think I will give it a try too.

YellowJacket RV9
08-19-2015, 10:24 AM
That is awesome. I have ADS-B-in running on a home PC with RTL-SDR and it works very well.

It looks like EFIS's like my GRT Sport use the GDL90 protocol for this info, I am wondering if I can make it work via serial link with my display...

Chris

rolivi
08-19-2015, 10:37 AM
I suspect there will be a lot of FS: Stratus II ads here and on ebay in the near future!

At least I hope so! And when I find how to get a GDL-3D clone going I'll be all over that myself!

Scrabo
08-19-2015, 10:44 AM
I suspect there will be a lot of FS: Stratus II ads here and on ebay in the near future!

Only because they drank the koolaid and purchasing the new S models.

Veetail88
08-19-2015, 11:27 AM
It looks like EFIS's like my GRT Sport use the GDL90 protocol for this info, I am wondering if I can make it work via serial link with my display...

If someone figures this out that would be awesome! I'd love a low cost ads-b in alternative to feed my AFS 4500 until the right and right priced in/out solution presents itself. The lowest cost solution so far is around $600 and that's pretty steep for something I see as temporary. :D

boom3
08-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Sweet! For that price I'll give Stratux a try. If it's lame there's a lot of other things I can do with a Raspberry Pi and a USB battery pack.

DaleB
08-19-2015, 03:17 PM
I haven't tried getting it to talk to Foreflight, but I do have a Pi and a USB DVB-T receiver sitting here... it does a pretty good job of showing me what's flying around the area, even with a teeny little POS antenna inside the office.

humptybump
08-20-2015, 05:01 AM
I have all of the parts in stock (from my iGate projects).

If there is a local[ish] pilot to 53VG and who uses ForeFlight, I'll have one of these assembled before this weekend.

PM or email me if you're up to doing some flight testing.

Mousse
08-20-2015, 08:42 AM
I wish I had the technical knowledge to built something like this.

Mike S
08-20-2015, 08:59 AM
I wish I had the technical knowledge to built something like this.

I wish I knew what the original doc was even saying:confused::confused:

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/related/3fscia/the_11390_adsb_receiver_for_foreflight_or_pretty/

boom3
08-20-2015, 09:47 AM
I wish I knew what the original doc was even saying:confused::confused:

I'm only kind of techy but this looks like an easy one. Plug all the stuff together, install the image file on the micro SD card, plug it in and power it up.

We'll see how true that all is when UPS delivers the stuff tomorrow. ;)

Raymo
08-20-2015, 11:00 AM
I'm only kind of techy but this looks like an easy one. Plug all the stuff together, install the image file on the micro SD card, plug it in and power it up.

We'll see how true that all is when UPS delivers the stuff tomorrow. ;)

Basically correct. The guy working this seems to be doing his best to make it easy. There is an updated reddit as well that I will put in my original post but all the parts in the his original post.

EDIT: Latest info from the author that makes the process easier:

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/3g7urb/the_11390_adsb_receiver_for_foreflight_or_pretty/

humptybump
08-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Friendly Warning: the authors instructions (and the latest img) are a great jumpstart. However ...

It assumes you buy exactly the pieces he links. I have a common but different wifi dongle it is does not work "out of the box". I'm having ot recompile a number of pieces. I should have it all working by the end of the day. (infamous last words)

Mark Dickens
08-20-2015, 11:52 AM
You don't have to assemble all the software yourself. Just download the finished image file from https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/releases and copy the image file to your chip using Win32DiskImager (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/windows.md), insert into your assembled Raspberry Pi, attach your wifi chip and SDR dongle, and away you go. Took me maybe 15 mins.

dynonsupport
08-20-2015, 01:15 PM
One thing to be aware of with the digitizer dongles is that the sensitivity of these devices is much lower than for dedicated designs. These USB sticks are meant to pick up TV stations that output 1,000,000 watts from 30 miles away, while an ADS-B ground station is 250 watts and can be 100+ miles away.

The dedicated designs like a Stratus, the Garmin GDL-39, or the Dynon ADS-B box have incredible sensitivity because they are specifically tuned to receive only the frequency they are designed for. SDR boxes like the USB TV sticks inherently need to have huge front end bandwidth, which hurts selectivity and sensitivity.

You may easily find that the SDR ADS-B works fine 30 miles away from the ADS-B ground station, but not the 200 miles that a specialized receiver can do.

Now, clearly I'm biased because I work at Dynon and we like our ADS-B box a lot. This sounds like a fun project. Just don't judge the coverage and performance of the ADS-B system based on one of these receivers.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

humptybump
08-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Hi Ian,

I don't think any of us are [sufficiently] delusional to believe the SDR+RPi is "the same thing" as a Stratus or GDL39 (as least I'm not :) )

At the same time, this project fits nicely with the experimental nature of our operational domain.

Quick update: I recompiled the necessary modules to get the RT5370 based wifi dongles to work. My ground tests successfully connect with ForeFlight (but obviously I am not receiving any weather data).

The local offer still stands for anyone who wishes to test flit this weekend.

http://thesalmonfarm.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/uploads/2015/08/IMG_9735-575x431.jpg

Raymo
08-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Agree. Fun project to play around with and maybe pick up weather (if close enough to the airport) and traffic overhead while working.

Others have flown with these and found that they have to get a good bit higher (3000+ ft AGL) compared to their *real* ADS-B device that might pick up stations at lower altitudes (500 ft AGL).

xavierm
08-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Haven't flown with it yet but it works good with ForeFlight on the ground.
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/fatesclown/DIY%20ads-b.png

humptybump
08-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Xavier, when you say "works good on the ground" can you provide some details an what info/data/statistics you are seeing?

ChiefPilot
08-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Hi Ian,

I don't think any of us are [sufficiently] delusional to believe the SDR+RPi is "the same thing" as a Stratus or GDL39 (as least I'm not :) )

At the same time, this project fits nicely with the experimental nature of our operational domain.

Quick update: I recompiled the necessary modules to get the RT5370 based wifi dongles to work. My ground tests successfully connect with ForeFlight (but obviously I am not receiving any weather data).

The local offer still stands for anyone who wishes to test flit this weekend.

http://thesalmonfarm.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/uploads/2015/08/IMG_9735-575x431.jpg

What are you using for an antenna? A properly tuned antenna, oriented vertically, will provide the best reception. Then again, reception on the ground *at all* will be difficult in many places due to LoS restrictions.

humptybump
08-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Hi Brad. I just swapped my "quick test" antenna (in the picture) for an antenna tuned for 978Mhz. But I'm sure the majority of the deficiency is that I'm still located on the ground :)

humptybump
08-21-2015, 09:22 AM
I shirked my duties this morning and flew with the Stratux up on my glare shield. As a point of comparison, I have a GDL39 with a dedicated antenna on the bottom of my aircraft back under the RV-8 rear baggage area.

I had no problem getting my iPhone 6P to connect to the Stratux wifi. The first problem came when I tried to get ForeFlight to recognize the Stratux (FreeFlight) device. It took 20 minute of random ideas and then it connected. None of this surprised me since I had the same problem yesterday in my bench. Subsequent boot-ups of the Stratux had no problem with connecting. I'll classify it as one of those random things.

During ground ops and in flight I noticed the ForeFlight "connection" to FreeFlight would drop. This again was random. When I looked closely at the videos linked to the reddit posts I notice it happened to his system as well.

I picked up the first tower at 650' AGL. It was unreliable. I would lose it frequently. The direction and orientation of the aircraft would contribute to the loss. At 2500' AGL I had two towers but that would fluctuate often back to one and zero. By comparison, the GDL39 had five towers. At 3500' AGL I had three towers with the Stratux ranging from 30-50nm while the GDL39 had seven towers from 30-90nm.

I did receive a 4 local radar frames and 1 national radar frame with the Stratux during the test flight. I also received 280 text reports. I checked three local airports and had METAR and/or TAF for each. I don't know the data for the GDL39 but I had radar animations and weather reports for the four airports I checked.

I tested with both a 1/4 antenna tuned to 978 mhz and the little SDR supplied antenna. It's a guess but I think the tuned antenna was better. Both antennas were affected by the orientation of the airplane. I observed a tower 30 miles away while flying toward it and lost that tower when flying away from it.

My initial conclusions are:

antenna location is important - a tuned belly antenna will likely perform better than my tests
connectivity is variable - I can't compare with a real Stratus unit and my GDL39 is hard wired to my panel and uses Bluetooth to ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot on the iPhone. (for those who were wondering, "yes", ForeFlight on the iPhone immediately recognized my G3X Touch Connext)
Reception quality is "OK" - I knew going into the tests that the SDR would not be as discriminating and sensitive as the GDL39. As my altitude increased, the Stratux data improved but the GDL39 was working well at 1000' AGL and when the Stratux was at its best, the GDL39 was still 2x better on towers.

Remember, the Stratux is closest to a first generation Stratus 1.

It was a fun experiment and from that measure, it was a success. However, having flown with a first generation GDL39 for three years now, it's not reasonable to consider them in the same category. If you've got the parts readily available or you enjoy Raspberry Pi projects, it's a fun little project.

I captured lots of notes and screen grabs but since I consider this an educational experience, I'll leave those as "an exercise for the student".

moll780
08-21-2015, 10:11 AM
would this antenna work with the SDR dongle?

http://www.deltapopaviation.com/UAT_Antenna.html

Also, would installation on top of the fuse (behind the my sliding canopy when open) be the best place? I have comm antennas under the fuse (below the seats).

I shirked my duties this morning and flew with the Stratux up on my glare shield. As a point of comparison, I have a GDL39 with a dedicated antenna on the bottom of my aircraft back under the RV-8 rear baggage area.

I had no problem getting my iPhone 6P to connect to the Stratux wifi. The first problem came when I tried to get ForeFlight to recognize the Stratux (FreeFlight) device. It took 20 minute of random ideas and then it connected. None of this surprised me since I had the same problem yesterday in my bench. Subsequent boot-ups of the Stratux had no problem with connecting. I'll classify it as one of those random things.

During ground ops and in flight I noticed the ForeFlight "connection" to FreeFlight would drop. This again was random. When I looked closely at the videos linked to the reddit posts I notice it happened to his system as well.

I picked up the first tower at 650' AGL. It was unreliable. I would lose it frequently. The direction and orientation of the aircraft would contribute to the loss. At 2500' AGL I had two towers but that would fluctuate often back to one and zero. By comparison, the GDL39 had five towers. At 3500' AGL I had three towers with the Stratux ranging from 30-50nm while the GDL39 had seven towers from 30-90nm.

I did receive a 4 local radar frames and 1 national radar frame with the Stratux during the test flight. I also received 280 text reports. I checked three local airports and had METAR and/or TAF for each. I don't know the data for the GDL39 but I had radar animations and weather reports for the four airports I checked.

I tested with both a 1/4 antenna tuned to 978 mhz and the little SDR supplied antenna. It's a guess but I think the tuned antenna was better. Both antennas were affected by the orientation of the airplane. I observed a tower 30 miles away while flying toward it and lost that tower when flying away from it.

antenna location is important - a tuned belly antenna will likely perform better than my tests
connectivity is variable - I can't compare with a real Stratus unit and my GDL39 is hard wired to my panel and uses Bluetooth to ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot on the iPhone. (for those who were wondering, "yes", ForeFlight on the iPhone immediately recognized my G3X Touch Connext)
Reception quality is "OK" - I knew going into the tests that the SDR would not be as discriminating and sensitive as the GDL39. As my altitude increased, the Stratux data improved but the GDL39 was working well at 1000' AGL and when the Stratux was at its best, the GDL39 was still 2x better on towers.

It was a fun experiment and from that measure, it was a success. However, having flown with a first generation GDL39 for three years now, it's not reasonable to consider them in the same category. If you've got the parts readily available or you enjoy Raspberry Pi projects, it's a fun little project.

I captured lots of notes and screen grabs but since I consider this an educational experience, I'll leave those as "an excessive for the student".

okei
08-21-2015, 08:09 PM

I captured lots of notes and screen grabs but since I consider this an educational experience, I'll leave those as "an exercise for the student".

humptybump, you're not using the recommended hardware, correct? The WiFi dongle is $10 and worth it to not deal with issues, they're all hit or miss and the one in the original hardware setup doesn't seem to be causing issues for others.

In terms of reception, try using the antenna that comes with it in its retracted position. Most people report good reception with this. Some guys on beechtalk actually reported better reception than Stratus 2. At 1500' AGL I get a steady 2-3 towers.

okei
08-21-2015, 09:23 PM
One thing to be aware of with the digitizer dongles is that the sensitivity of these devices is much lower than for dedicated designs. These USB sticks are meant to pick up TV stations that output 1,000,000 watts from 30 miles away, while an ADS-B ground station is 250 watts and can be 100+ miles away.

The dedicated designs like a Stratus, the Garmin GDL-39, or the Dynon ADS-B box have incredible sensitivity because they are specifically tuned to receive only the frequency they are designed for. SDR boxes like the USB TV sticks inherently need to have huge front end bandwidth, which hurts selectivity and sensitivity.

You may easily find that the SDR ADS-B works fine 30 miles away from the ADS-B ground station, but not the 200 miles that a specialized receiver can do.

Now, clearly I'm biased because I work at Dynon and we like our ADS-B box a lot. This sounds like a fun project. Just don't judge the coverage and performance of the ADS-B system based on one of these receivers.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

TV stations in the US transmit at a maximum of 50,000W. I don't know about ADS-B ground stations but don't think your number for that is accurate either.

Sensitivity isn't a great differentiator in this case, it's not like a comm radio where you need to catch a single message. Having recorded some UAT messages with an RTL-SDR dongle, in the span of 30 minutes I got spammed with all local airports' METARs an average of 5 times over. Maybe if it were more sensitive I'd get the exact same METAR message another 5-10 times...

dynonsupport
08-21-2015, 10:33 PM
Okei,
UHF TV stations in the USA are allowed up to 5 million watts if analog and 1 million if digital (which they are all now). That's 470 to 890 MHz, and of course we're talking 978 MHz or 1090 MHz, above the TV frequencies.

It's only VHF channels 2-6 that are limited to 45 KW digital and channels 7-13 are 160 KW.

My number for ADS-B ground stations is inaccurate, you are right. Many GBT's are only 25 watts. But the FAA is allowed to tune them up to +58 dBm (630W) to get the appropriate coverage.

The issue with sensitivity is actually quite important if you are flying cross country, where you may actually care what the weather is doing in front of you while relying on the FAA's ground station spacing based on a UAT receiver meeting the TSO sensitivity. Totally agree that if you are only flying locally in a dense area it matters a lot less.

--Ian

okei
08-22-2015, 01:26 AM
Okei,
UHF TV stations in the USA are allowed up to 5 million watts if analog and 1 million if digital (which they are all now). That's 470 to 890 MHz, and of course we're talking 978 MHz or 1090 MHz, above the TV frequencies.

It's only VHF channels 2-6 that are limited to 45 KW digital and channels 7-13 are 160 KW.

My number for ADS-B ground stations is inaccurate, you are right. Many GBT's are only 25 watts. But the FAA is allowed to tune them up to +58 dBm (630W) to get the appropriate coverage.

The issue with sensitivity is actually quite important if you are flying cross country, where you may actually care what the weather is doing in front of you while relying on the FAA's ground station spacing based on a UAT receiver meeting the TSO sensitivity. Totally agree that if you are only flying locally in a dense area it matters a lot less.

--Ian

Do you have, by chance, the TSO sensitivity specs for UAT receivers? I'm curious to quantify the difference between the published specs on an RTL-SDR dongle vs that.

EDIT:
Ian, you probably know a lot more about this than I do. ICAO "Doc 9861 AN/460" says:

"All UAT aircraft receivers have the same receiver sensitivity requirements. The receiver sensitivity at the PMP, for 90 per cent message success rate in the absence of interference, is –93 dBm for long UAT ADS-B messages, –94 dBm for basic UAT ADS-B messages and –91 dBm for ground uplink (ground-to-air) messages."

http://superkuh.com/gnuradio/R820T_datasheet-Non_R-20111130_unlocked.pdf is the documentation I could find. It shows:

FFT:8k,QPSK,CR:1/2 Sensitivity -97.5dBm

Lower at higher data rates.
QPSK,CR:1/2 I see is 0.62 bits/sec per Hz

The same ICAO doc says the data rate is 1041667 bit/sec for UAT. So that's less than 0.01 bits/sec per Hz.

Am I looking at this the right way? From this it seems like it actually exceeds spec for sensitivity.

1.041667 Mbps.

humptybump
08-22-2015, 06:30 AM
humptybump, you're not using the recommended hardware, correct?

Correct. I experimented with what I had on hand.

In terms of reception, try using the antenna that comes with it

I tested with a tuned antenna and with the SDR's original antenna. There was not a big difference.

The towers received will depend on where they are and what interference is in the area. Comparing different geographic areas will have many variables.

BTW: when I reviewed the reddit author's videos, I noticed he was in the Detroit area and did not see towers until he was around 3000' AGL and a close look shows he edited out more than an hour of video. During a period of maneuvering at just over 300' AGL, he see 7 then 4 then 2 then 3 towers. There is also a brief moment when he too had the "not connected" status. I had the same experiences.

This is a great experimental project and encourange anyone who likes tinkering with Raspberry Pi projects to give it a try. I had fun and learned a few things along the way.

pgroell
08-22-2015, 08:26 AM
This is another project along the same lines.
www.pilotaware.com
It has a transmitter which might be illegal to use in some countries.
Some good informations on the project's forum.
I don't know if it will work without the transmitter installed, I will ask the author as soon as I get access to the forum.
Depending on which parts I receive first I'll try this one or the stratux.

okei
08-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Correct. I experimented with what I had on hand.

BTW: when I reviewed the reddit author's videos, I noticed he was in the Detroit area and did not see towers until he was around 3000' AGL and a close look shows he edited out more than an hour of video. During a period of maneuvering at just over 300' AGL, he see 7 then 4 then 2 then 3 towers. There is also a brief moment when he too had the "not connected" status. I had the same experiences.

You're referring to the timestamp just above "FreeFlight, 0 towers"? That's the last update on the current radar frame. The video wasn't cut, just sped up. Whole flight is there. The towers don't show up until 3000' AGL because it was an experimental version of the project and the backend wasn't running until then :). You can see that it would have gotten towers by 500-1000' AGL by getting 2 or so towers 300' AGL. If there's no signal, it the tower will disappear within a few seconds.

xavierm
08-22-2015, 09:22 AM

I had the same problem so I don't think it's random. it happened with both the code I compiled myself and the pre-configured image. I continued to tinker with the pre-configured image I installed and found that the NooElec must be in a certain USB port on the Pi. Mine worked with the NooElec on the lower right hand port (with the network and USB ports facing you). I powered down, and switched the port the receiver was in and it wouldn't work unless it was plugged into the port previously mentioned.

I have not tried to troubleshoot with the self compiled code. I'll probably give it a try later this weekend.

I also noticed that the number of towers seen depends on how much I extend the antenna. Again, this was tried indoors.

There's no GPS support in the pre-configured version. If you compile yourself and add a GPS receiver (RY835AI 18Hz USB GPS is reported to work) to your Pi then you'll also have GPS (or use the internal GPS in your device if equipped, or a bluetooth GPS). Apparently someone is working on adding code for AHRS.

YMMV

humptybump
08-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Hi Xavier! Thanks for your update.

This project reminds me of many RPi projects I've done - something's work "first time" and some things need "trial and error". Once everything is figured out, it's important to "leave it as it is".

Enjoy the project. I'll be interested in more reports!

humptybump
08-22-2015, 10:29 AM
You're referring to the timestamp just above "FreeFlight, 0 towers"? That's the last update on the current radar frame.

Thanks for the correction. I'm not a ForeFlight user and it looked suspicious when the time jumped forward.

catmandu
08-22-2015, 03:59 PM
. . . Apparently someone is working on adding code for AHRS.

Oh, that would be really cool. Think I will postpone my iLevil 2 purchase.

NM Doug
08-22-2015, 04:17 PM
I put the Stratux together yesterday with the parts listed on the site and using the SD image file. I also made the read-only modification from here (http://blog.pi3g.com/2014/04/make-raspbian-system-read-only/), because I figured I'd be just unplugging the power when I was done trying it, and it seems this might keep the file system from getting corrupted when I yank the power.

We tried a test flight this morning (didn't get an early start, so it was a little hot and bumpy).

I put the Stratux between the seats:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2zyvg5f.jpg

and did a fancy install of the antenna:
http://i59.tinypic.com/a27vok.jpg

Sue monitored Foreflight on the iPad while we were climbing out, and then we both explored the data a bit.

We had one ADSB tower available still on the ground (KAEG is line-of-sight to the top of the Sandias), and we picked up a second by 1000AGL. During our brief flight, we generally had three towers show up - once it dropped to one, and once we had five, at a time when we had climbed to 4000AGL.

The local radar updated, and we were able to get METARs and TAFs with no problem. I haven't flown with a Stratus or equivalent, but the performance was good enough to inspire some more tests.

humptybump
08-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Doug, thanks for the PIREP!

humptybump
08-23-2015, 05:44 AM
Given the different PIREPs, I did some reading about various SDR-RTL dongles.

For APRS I've used the old E4000 chipset SDRs. These have proven to be somewhat superior on the 100-450Mhz range. However, they are getting scarse and are typically $40 when compared to the RTL2832U R820T based units which center around $15.

Recently, a few sellers have been offering an updated design for the low cost units. These newer dongles use an R820T2 chip and a few better tolerance supporting components.

The result is the newer units show improvement in sensitizing and reduced noise above 800Mhz.

I hope to test one of the newer units and will update my PIREP above.

boom3
08-23-2015, 07:57 AM
On Friday I received my Amazon order and put everything together. I downloaded and wrote the image to the micro SD card. After that I turned it on and stratux showed up as a Wi-Fi on my iPad. (I suggest waiting 45 secs or so because the Rasberry Pi does need to boot.) I selected it and then opened Foreflight. When I went to devices, "Free Flight" showed that it was connected. Everything seems to be working.

Saturday I was excited to try it out and was wheels up about 6:30am.

For now I just set it on the passenger seat.
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/Img_0585.jpg

The antenna has a magnetic base and I found that my pinch welt has some steel in it. Good enough for a quick test.
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/Img_0584.jpg

All ready to go, no towers showing up on the ground. Ipad mini with built in GPS (4g).
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/Img_0586.jpg

Climbing out I picked up 2 towers at about 1300 ft and then had all 4 in my area by about 2300. Reception did seem to vary between 2 and 4 towers depending on my heading. (likely antenna position)

Weather Radar was working but there were not returns yesterday.

I didn't see any traffic but figured out later that I hadn't turned it on in Foreflight.

All in all it exceeded my expectations and seems to work quite well. Granted I was pretty much local in the Puget Sound area the ground stations were relatively close.
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/Img_0583.jpg

boom3
08-23-2015, 08:36 AM
A little later my friend Darin showed up to the airport so we took it for another flight in his 9A. This time I brought my full size iPad this time because he'd be flying and I could mess around with it with the larger screen. The problem was I forgot that this iPad was wifi only so I didn't have a position source. We almost went back for my iPad mini but Darin suggested connecting to his GDL 39 by Bluetooth. It worked! Now we had GPS position by Bluetooth and the Stratux was still connected by WiFi.

Darin has a really nice new panel with all the ADS-B stuff so we could compare.
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/Img_0587.jpg

This time I just stuffed it in his side pocket.
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/Img_0588.jpg

Again I found some steel and stuck on the antenna.
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/Img_0589.jpg

About the same reception I experienced this morning only this time we were receiving traffic. (because I turned it on, duh:rolleyes:)
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/IMG_0590.JPG

We went to Chehalis for fuel and then climbed to the South to see how long it'd take to pick up a ground station in Oregon. By 4000ft or so we started picking up the Scappoose station. It took some time to update and populate. Here at 5634ft we were picking up from 2 to 4 stations depending on our heading.
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/IMG_0592.JPG

If you've heard on the news about the Pacific Northwest being on fire, they're not lying. I've never seen it this bad.
http://www.jbflying.com/Webpictures/Stratux/IMG_0591.JPG

So far so good. I'm very excited how well this works. On this flight at least it was very comparable to Darin's Garmin system. We both seemed to get weather and traffic at about the same time.

I'm not going to say at this point that Stratux is totally comparable to the good stuff because I really doubt it is. I'll need to get out on a long cross country to see how it really performs. Today though, it was awesome and soooo worth $106. :D

okei
08-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Given the different PIREPs, I did some reading about various SDR-RTL dongles.

For APRS I've used the old E4000 chipset SDRs. These have proven to be somewhat superior on the 100-450Mhz range. However, they are getting scarse and are typically $40 when compared to the RTL2832U R820T based units which center around $15.

Recently, a few sellers have been offering an updated design for the low cost units. These newer dongles use an R820T2 chip and a few better tolerance supporting components.

The result is the newer units show improvement in sensitizing and reduced noise above 800Mhz.

I hope to test one of the newer units and will update my PIREP above.

E4000 and R820T will not work for this, you'll get spotty results.

humptybump
08-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Hi "okie". I'm not sure who/where you are or your background. You're profile is blank. You only appear to be associated with this thread.

E4000 and R820T will not work for this, you'll get spotty results.
The R820T will work. I was explaining that independent testers have data showing the R820T2 is a better option.

I hope I was clear to others in saying the E4000 has its uses in the lower frequencies (such as APRS), the R820T units are prolific (so many may have one lying around), and this project seems to benefit from the newer R820T2 devices.

I was trying to give some data to those who might be experimenting and to help with choosing the better component hardware.

The reddit user has given links to Amazon for the RPi bundle and others pieces (and may be making money from every purchase). Some of us may already have pieces and are experimenting with what we have. As I identify differences I'm trying to share to help others. We are here to learn and share.

BTW: for anyone trying to use one of the RT5370 based wifi dongles (common with the canbit bundles and used by many vendors) I have built the latest stable code for hostapd with the necessary support. I'm happy to post them somewhere if you're not comfortable doing raspberry Pi builds.

gblanck
08-23-2015, 01:07 PM
The R820T will work. I was explaining that independent testers have data showing the R820T2 is a better option.

... the R820T units are prolific (so many may have one lying around), and this project seems to benefit from the newer R820T2 devices.

I had an R820T on hand and put together a Stratux receiver with it- seems to work just fine with reception comparable to my GDL39

-Greg

humptybump
08-23-2015, 01:12 PM
I had an R820T on hand and put together a Stratux receiver with it- seems to work just fine with reception comparable to my GDL39

Thanks for the PIREP Greg. I'm glad you got good results!

I also tried an SDR-RTL based on the R820T. My results were not as good as my permanent mounted GDL-39. This may be attributed to the superior installation and antenna of my GDL-39 or something else.

I like this experiment so I'll try the different dongle and share what I learn.

okei
08-23-2015, 02:00 PM
I was trying to give some data to those who might be experimenting and to help with choosing the better component hardware.

Well, at least with 1090MHz ADS-B, it has been tested ad nauseum and R820T2 always comes out the winner. If you were using either an E4000 or R820T RTL-SDR, that is likely the cause of bad "reception" as the qualities of these are inferior for this application.

The reddit user has given links to Amazon for the RPi bundle and others pieces (and may be making money from every purchase).

If you're against him making money off of the links, just type in the name of the product on Amazon. They're not custom made for Stratux :)

humptybump
08-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Well, at least with 1090MHz ADS-B, it has been tested ad nauseum and R820T2 always comes out the winner.

"ad nauseum" is an exaggeration. The R820T2 has better test results. All of the Internet searches I conducted eventually link back to the same two tests.

Most pilots testing Stratux in this thread are focused on the weather data which is on 978Mhz.

At least one poster has had good results with the R820T. I had marginal results.

If someone has a RPi2 and the older R820T, they can get the Stratux to work. If they are buying everything new, it's beneficial to get the R820T2.

catmandu
08-24-2015, 07:03 AM
I am buying everything new (except for the Kmashi, which I have), especially after reading from the Reddit OP, "Yeah, a unit that has a good GPS, pressure sensor, and the AHRS sensors is coming for development. It'll add another ~$50 to the parts list." REALLY glad I did not buy something retail recently, as I intended to do.

rv7charlie
08-24-2015, 08:52 AM
implement the required pi software routines as an app for android and/or ios?

Sorry for my flagrant display of ignorance; the last real programming I did was back in the mid '70s (previous century).

But if the SDR uses a USB port to communicate, why couldn't the routines running on the pi be run inside android, and avoid the extra hardware? Is it just too much overhead for one device to handle ADSB tasks in addition to mapping?

Charlie

humptybump
08-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Hi Charlie.

No worries on "the learning curve".

We can dismiss building it with iOS since there is no direct way to get to the necessary internal protocols and no access to the SDR via USB. That leaves Android. ForeFlight does not run on Android.

dynonsupport
08-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Do you have, by chance, the TSO sensitivity specs for UAT receivers? I'm curious to quantify the difference between the published specs on an RTL-SDR dongle vs that.

I don't know about other brands, but the Dynon ADS-B receiver is about 15dB better than the TSO requires, and it does this in the presence of a +17dBm 1090 transponder pulse.

DrHolling
08-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Hi Charlie.

We can dismiss building it with iOS since there is no direct way to get to the necessary internal protocols and no access to the SDR via USB. That leaves Android. ForeFlight does not run on Android.

I have 3 apps on my phone that use the USB OTG feature to receive the ADS-B data from a SDR (one of the cheap ones). Avare, FIS-B Free, Avare ADSB Pro (different developer than the Avare above). There are Android solutions out there. Avare would be great but I can't get the USB OTG function on my Nexus 7 without rooting it (other Android tables work very well though).

Dave

humptybump
08-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Dave,

Very cool!

The few attempts I've made to hook devices up over OTG cables have been hit or miss.

I've gone back and edit my original comment. Thanks for syncing up our thread!

rv7charlie
08-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Hi Charlie.

Not too concerned with Foreflight, since I left ios a while back. :-)

Does your answer mean that it *is* (or might be) possible for the stuff running on the pi to get ported to an android device (the same one running Avare or other mapping app), instead?

And I don't really consider this a 'learning curve' any more. The last time I programmed, 'Basic' meant Basic Assembler Language (BAL). At this point, the gap is far to wide. I'm just grateful that you and other users of various technologies have discovered 'open source' and its variations. I'll try to take advantage your knowledge on this, and hope to pass on my knowledge of some other field.

Charlie

humptybump
08-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Hi Charlie,

I've put my foot in my mouth so many times on this read I may as well skip dinner!

So I'll attempt to just answer you question and not go off the rails.

Is it "possible" to port the project to Android and connect it with one of the Android based aviation navigators? yes. Is it easy? no. Is it likely? no.

rv7charlie
08-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Well shucks. Guess I'll have to spend the extra 50 bucks to save the 800 or so vs ADSB...

:-)

Charles C
08-24-2015, 05:27 PM
With all the back and forth, what do I need to buy to make this work. I am interested since at this time, I can not buy a $800 Stratus and this would be great for foreflight. I have looked at Amazon and it looks at though the grouping everything for $100. After reading, I am confused if there are other items to buy to make it work better.

Thanks,

humptybump
08-24-2015, 05:51 PM
The reddit list looks complete for the Stratux for "weather only". You will use the battery USB cable to charge and then switch it around to also to power the RPi.

There is a follow on project underway to add GPS support and to support simultaneous weather and traffic. Nothing you buy now becomes obsolete.

You will also need to have or borrow an SD card reader. You computer may have an SD slot or you may have a USB card reader that an supports SD card. If neither, then the "thing" you are looking for is something like this: http://amzn.to/1U3d7Po

If you get all the pieces and get stuck, I'm happy to get on the phone (or Skype) to walk through the process.

boom3
08-24-2015, 08:45 PM
The reddit list looks complete for the Stratux for "weather only".

I was receiving traffic of some flavor with the recommended setup. (See my 2nd post on page 4 of this thread.)

I was connected via bluetooth to a GDL-39 for my GPS position source but Foreflight was showing Free Flight via the Stratux for the ADS-B.

As I understand it the GDL-39 will not send ADS-B data to Foreflight at this point.

okei
08-24-2015, 09:46 PM
With all the back and forth, what do I need to buy to make this work. I am interested since at this time, I can not buy a $800 Stratus and this would be great for foreflight. I have looked at Amazon and it looks at though the grouping everything for $100. After reading, I am confused if there are other items to buy to make it work better.

Thanks,

The current version has full TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather, the recommended hardware is:

http://amzn.com/B00MV6TAJI
http://amzn.com/B00P2UOU72
http://amzn.com/B00JM59JPG

Then follow https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/3g7urb/the_11390_adsb_receiver_for_foreflight_or_pretty/

Most people report it takes about 10-15 minutes.

humptybump
08-25-2015, 04:57 AM
The current version has full TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather, ...

Thanks okei. Many people - me included - get confused by the various traffic data being processed via ADS-B.

The reddit thread has a few comments trying to clarify what is available with the Stratux.

Right now I've only tested weather and 1090ES traffic. Unless you buy two tuner dongles, you pick one of those because it can only pick up one at a time.
You can get traffic data with just one. GA planes with ads-b out would transmit their data directly to you on 978 ...

To further confuse the traffic question is that a number of GA aircraft are on 1090 rather than 978, especially EAB aircraft.

PaigeHoffart
08-25-2015, 05:49 AM
To see all of the traffic, you'll need to be transmitting ADS-B out. You can configure your ADS-B out transmitter to specify which frequency your portable receiver is on. Properly configured, with good ground station coverage, you should see all traffic with either a 1090 or 978 receiver.

If you are relying on other people to wake up the ground stations, a dual band receiver would be beneficial, but there is no guarantee that you are seeing all transponder equipped aircraft unless you are transmitting out, and have good ground station/radar coverage.

Paige

Raymo
08-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Paige is correct. I would add that 1090 traffic could also be seen via ADS-R if another aircraft near you wakes up the ground station for traffic.

Charles C
08-25-2015, 08:47 AM
I have placed my order and hope to have all the pieces in a few days. If I get all the pieces and get it working, I have a trip planned to Atlanta Area during the Labor Day weekend and hope to test it out on a long cross county from the Orlando area. I will keep my fingers crossed.

PCHunt
08-25-2015, 04:06 PM
I have successfully displayed traffic and weather on my iFly 740 using this Stratux setup.

In the ifly menu for connected devices, select "FreeFlight", and it appears to work.

Very happy on the first trial, but lots to learn yet.

GEM930
08-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Will this work with wingx???

humptybump
08-25-2015, 05:18 PM
I have successfully displayed traffic and weather on my iFly 740 using this Stratux setup.

Pete. Great news. Thanks for the PIREP!

catmandu
08-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Will this work with wingx???

Per post #22 of this thread (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1866380): "WingX works with no special config."

I only use WingX and am building one.

ccrawford
08-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Seems like it'd be really easy to take this and have it output on RS232 via the USB ports (USB to RS232 adapter cable). Once you do that, you can pipe it to any of your avionics.

I haven't looked at the RS232 spec for traffic or weather to something like a Garmin or GRT, but I believe it's an industry standard. Anyone know where to get documentation on that spec?

Veetail88
08-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Seems like it'd be really easy to take this and have it output on RS232 via the USB ports (USB to RS232 adapter cable). Once you do that, you can pipe it to any of your avionics.

Yeah, someone with the right background figure that out please! :D:D

jclark
08-26-2015, 04:57 PM

I haven't looked at the RS232 spec for traffic or weather to something like a Garmin or GRT, but I believe it's an industry standard. Anyone know where to get documentation on that spec?

I **think** that the GRT Systems are compatible with GDL90.
USB or RS-232.

The issue with GRT via USB is what chipset is used. I know they are compatible with more than one but not sure if all. Connecting via RS-232 should not be a problem.

If the output format is the same as DUAL, iLevil, FDS and SkyRadar, then I suspect the GRT systems will be fine as I have tested all of those.

James

Veetail88
08-26-2015, 06:02 PM
I **think** that the GRT Systems are compatible with GDL90.
USB or RS-232.

The issue with GRT via USB is what chipset is used. I know they are compatible with more than one but not sure if all. Connecting via RS-232 should not be a problem.

If the output format is the same as DUAL, iLevil, FDS and SkyRadar, then I suspect the GRT systems will be fine as I have tested all of those.

James

This is all well and good, but how do you go from a usb output on the Raspberry PI, that thinks it's communicating with a WiFi dongle and strip out the data string to feed into the RS232? I'm not a computer guy at anywhere near that level, and there's a lot of missing links here to me.

jclark
08-26-2015, 06:06 PM
This is all well and good, but how do you go from a usb output on the Raspberry PI, that thinks it's communicating with a WiFi dongle and strip out the data string to feed into the RS232? I'm not a computer guy at anywhere near that level, and there's a lot of missing links here to me.

OOOPS!

I missed that part of the dialog.
"My Bad".

Was thinking there was a serial stream out the USB port.

James

humptybump
08-26-2015, 07:12 PM
The communication mechanism - USB, wifi, Bluetooth, serial, light signals, semaphores, or smoke signals - isn't the real challenge. Internal to the code, it's just strings of numbers and characters. These strings can be transmitted on any of the methods with relative easy.

The challenge is knowing what format the vendor is expecting. It's a bit like communicating in another language. If you are speaking French and the other person only understands Chinese, not much useful gets conveyed.

The contributors to this project are using a combination of published documents and packet sniffers to figure out what is expected. For some of the target vendors, they don't publish anything, so it's a lot of difficult reverse engineering. For some vendors, there is no available Rosetta Stone.

I know there is a desire to mimic other ADSB receivers but the contributors to the project don't own the necessary original manufacturer hardware to aid with the analysis to black box engineer the packets and messages. If someone wishes to donate hardware, I'm sure it would help.

Charles C
08-28-2015, 05:21 PM
I am waiting for my items to come in the mail but looking over the site I see three down loads. Which one do I download due to there are two updates as well as the original. Any help would be great and hope the itmes come in soon.

humptybump
08-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Hi Charles, v0.1r3 is the best so far. However, like much of our latest avionics, you should keep an eye for updated builds. I am aware of a number of bug fixes and features that have not yet been rolled up into a new build.

UPDATE: a newer "release" is now there. Rather than keep editing this post, I advise taking the newest build. If you have any issues then back off the the newest "release".

humptybump
08-29-2015, 03:22 PM
For those who are interested, there is a now a subgroup over on reddit dedicated to the Stratux project.

A few highlights to pique your interest ...

Improved more stable code
Web configuration and status
GPS support
AHRS testing
3D printed case

It's been tested with the following functionality:

ForeFlight 7.2 - weather, traffic, AHRS
Naviator - weather, traffic, AHRS
WingX - weather & traffic
Avare
iFly 740 - weather & tragic

There is a standard parts list. It really is plug-n-play if you use the list. There is also a lower cost SDR (saves $10) the same specs as the original recommendation.

Follow the progress on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux
Watch for new builds on GitHub: https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/releases

Scrabo
08-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Sweet! For that price I'll give Stratux a try. If it's lame there's a lot of other things I can do with a Raspberry Pi and a USB battery pack.

Ordered parts ... Can't wait to try it out

RFazio
08-29-2015, 05:53 PM
So I couldn't resist and had to order it up. I have an RV-6 with a Dynon Skyview system in it. I have ADS-B out and a Dynon ADS-B receiver that I spent $900 on, I think. I also have an Ipad in the plane running ForeFlight. So I got the parts, assembled it, and had it up and running in about 15 minutes. I opened up foreflght on my Ipad and found the stratux device right away. I couldn't wait to try it out in the air. I went flying today and was amazed. The thing got weather and traffic exactly like the Dynon Skyview. The ipad actually displays traffic a little nicer I think than the Dynon does. There wasn't much weather around but what little there was matched on both screens. The only thing I noticed was on the return flight The traffic was not showing altitudes? On the first flight from Long Island to Connecticut I saw all traffic the same as the Dynon did, showing altitude in relation to me. On the return flight all the traffic had zeros instead of the altitude in relation to me? Weird, I flew again and still zeros. Have to figure that one out, but so far the stratux amazed me.

humptybump
08-29-2015, 06:21 PM
Hi Richard, thanks forcthexPIRE.

The "zeros" is a bug.

You can read a similar report and reply on reddit -

https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3ivj8v/uat_working_with_rpi_1_model_b_canakit_ralink/cuk5pvr

Charles C
09-01-2015, 03:06 PM
I have gotten my parts and tried to do the intructions on how to load the software onto the disk. But for some reason I am having dificuties. I am not sure if it is me or my laptop software (older laptop) but can someone help. Is there anyone that can help me tomorrow monrning sometime with the installed the software portion. Please PM me you info please.

Thanks

ccrawford
09-01-2015, 05:54 PM
If you can tell us what you are doing and where you get stuck we can probably provide some pointers. You might re-read/re-follow the tutorial to make sure you didn't miss a step.

Fracrat
09-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Does this work with garmin pilot app?

Charles C
09-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks Ben for your input on what I was doing wrong. I have completed the software and can see it on my Forflight. Now it is time to try it out tonight if the weather is clear and to see how it will work in a helicopter (just because that is what I will be in tonight for work).

Thanks once again.

catmandu
09-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Finally got all the requisite parts delivered, $92 all in since I had the battery pack. Assembly and programming took about 25 minutes mostly because my DSL is not too speedy for downloading. Plugged in the Kamashi, lights on the Pi2 eventually went to the expected green flash. Had my iPad wifi connect to 'STRATUX' and then started WingX. Got a good connection, showing 24 hour old internet weather. Left it that way, and headed out to do errands with the rig in tow.

Found myself an ADS-B tower, hope I am within range:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/260454872/VAF/ADSBtower.jpg

Unlocked the iPad and had to wait about three minutes, but eventually got local traffic:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/260454872/VAF/ADSBtraffic.jpg

Then tapped into the weather and saw that it had, in fact, updated itself:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/260454872/VAF/ADSBwx.jpg

I like it, suits the current need I had in the RV, and very promising to serve future needs (already ordered the GPS/AHRS chip in anticipation of future upgrades).

Mad science is fun!

humptybump
09-02-2015, 02:55 PM
great news Mike !

I do believe you were withing reasonable range of a tower.

I've joined the Stratux dev contributors and am working on the webUI. It's a small piece but its something.

for anyone who has built a Stratux, and for those considering it, keep an eye on the release page

https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/releases

there will be many good things showing up over the next few weeks!

roadrunner20
09-02-2015, 05:03 PM

In the ifly menu for connected devices, select "FreeFlight", and it appears to work.

Very happy on the first trial, but lots to learn yet.

Happy to see it's working on iFly.
For $105, I thought I'd try it out while I'm waiting for Navworx to finally ship their product.:rolleyes:

humptybump
09-02-2015, 05:25 PM
http://thesalmonfarm.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/uploads/2015/09/image1-480x640.jpg

I finally received my more compact battery which fits inside a low cost HDD storage case. Compact. Self contained.

petehowell
09-02-2015, 09:02 PM
Kinda crazy not to build one! $29 Pi2 from local microcenter, $21 SDR from Prime, Wifi button I had, but are $10 on Prime. I have usb power on the panel and with ADSB out, 978 only gets me the traffic via TIS-B (might miss some 1090 air to air, tho)

Kate and I took her up tonight and GDL39 was a-scared, very a-scared.

Metars--- Pi Gizmo - check || GDL - check

Traffic--- Pi Gizmo- check || GDL - check

5 Towers at 1000ft AGL --- Pi Gizmo- check || GDL - check

Heck, Pi Gizmo is pulling in the KSGS tower from my back porch! The GDL cant do that!(Update - the GDL can do this with the antenna in a slightly diff location) I'll work on a case next - the kids want to make one out of Legos..... What cool gift for a new aviator for a very reasonable price!

Got a couple of longer XC flights this weekend to check performance.

This is a cakewalk on the geek scale - just do it!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HSQxefGwWY4/VeeyXcv3NFI/AAAAAAAAneU/bp0h7YW5gqU/s640-Ic42/IMG_6264.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vs9fRPt42Ts/VeeyW-6WrBI/AAAAAAAAneQ/ObJbAzY-ZLc/s640-Ic42/IMG_6263.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--FG6ZKDVJPs/VeeyiJQuQ_I/AAAAAAAAnfc/s-q9Gag5Mgg/s800-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-09-02-19-01-33.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y32_hsJHU9Q/VeeyU_I9UoI/AAAAAAAAnd4/CUvjHcZsass/s640-Ic42/IMG_6258.JPG

humptybump
09-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Very cool Pete!

I think case ideas will be an opportunity for some EAB creativity :-)

Brantel
09-03-2015, 05:58 AM
Been using RPI's to build ADS-B receivers (using basically the same hardware) to decode and send tracking info to FlightAware and FlightRadar24. They work great for this purpose.

Looks like I am going to have to burn me another SD card and give this one a try!

humptybump
09-03-2015, 06:35 AM
Brian, it's a fun project and there is enough interest (and GitHub contribution) that it's is maturing well. I expect the quality of the data is mostly stable now and the work is on software stability, usability, and features.

There is also growing activity around designing cases for the components. A few 3D printable cases are popping up and going through iterations. People are also finding ways to use generic cases efficiently.

exsterminator
09-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Help please: if the software is loaded, 4 towers are showing on Foreflight and I can see our aircraft moving, suggestions as to why we cannot see any other aircraft in the vicinity?

We had traffic fly by us about 2000 feet away and it did not register, and we were close to SFO International airport . . .

Assume this is something very straightforward that we overlooked.

dynonsupport
09-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Daniel,
ADS-B is only designed to receive traffic reliably if you are in an aircraft equipped with ADS-B OUT. Stratux is only ADS-B in, so your experience is expected. You'll have the same experience when flying unless your airplane has a ADS-B OUT transponder or UAT.

okei
09-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Help please: if the software is loaded, 4 towers are showing on Foreflight and I can see our aircraft moving, suggestions as to why we cannot see any other aircraft in the vicinity?

We had traffic fly by us about 2000 feet away and it did not register, and we were close to SFO International airport . . .

Assume this is something very straightforward that we overlooked.

Do you see any traffic at all? Maybe you don't have the traffic layer enabled in ForeFlight? It isn't enabled by default and it appears AFTER you connect to the device.

boom3
09-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Daniel,
ADS-B is only designed to receive traffic reliably if you are in an aircraft equipped with ADS-B OUT. Stratux is only ADS-B in, so your experience is expected. You'll have the same experience when flying unless your airplane has a ADS-B OUT transponder or UAT.

This is something I don't have my head totally around. I mean I get it, but I don't. What happens if you fly right next to your buddy that has ADS-B OUT? Would you receive all the traffic then? What if your buddy was 10 miles away?
What if some other guy in the your general vicinity has ADS-B OUT? I guess I just don't get the waking up the ground stations part.

Brantel
09-04-2015, 11:21 AM
This is something I don't have my head totally around. I mean I get it, but I don't. What happens if you fly right next to your buddy that has ADS-B OUT? Would you receive all the traffic then? What if your buddy was 10 miles away?
What if some other guy in the your general vicinity has ADS-B OUT? I guess I just don't get the waking up the ground stations part.

There are specs about how big the bubble is around an aircraft broadcasting but I doubt it is actually that well defined in reality.

My experience is that yes, my wingmen can get traffic if they fly with me even though they are not broadcasting.

Have not tested how far away from me that works but since the ground stations are omni directional, I bet is works for some distance.

At Osh, I kept receiving traffic all the way to the field even though I turned off my xponder 30 miles out. That means someone else was waking up the ground stations besides me.....

dynonsupport
09-04-2015, 02:46 PM
ADS-B ground stations send out traffic for 15 miles around aircraft they know about and +/- 5,000' of the aircraft. They only do this on the frequency the aircraft can receive on ADS-B IN.

You can "piggyback" on another ADS-B out plane. But if you are 12 miles ahead of and 4,000' above that plane, you can only see planes 3 miles ahead and 1,000' above. And this assumes the other plane has the same ADS-B IN that you do. If they don't have ADS-B IN or have it on 1090 and you're 978, it doesn't do anything for you.

Almost no Airliners are ADS-B out (about 3%) and none of them are ADS-B IN, so they aren't useful to wake up ground stations.

Even worse, if the plane has dual band ADS-B in, ADS-B OUT targets won't be re-broadcast so you can miss some targets even when the ground station is woken up and it looks like you have coverage.

In reality, this means you can't rely on traffic at all unless you have ADS-B out yourself.

JimS
09-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Has anyone had any luck using this setup with FltPln.com on a Nexus7?

humptybump
09-04-2015, 04:55 PM
At the risk of VAF rules drift, there is a post on reddit that implies someone is using it with FltPlan Go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3jmzy3/fltplan_go_traffic/

This VAF thread is great but I also encourage people interested in Stratux to follow the reddit subgroup which has become the primary source of information after the GitHub source repository and image download site.

Scrabo
09-04-2015, 06:59 PM
There is a new image just posted a few hours ago.

http://imgur.com/HAoNwiV

1090ES on/off toggle - working now.

Interface improvements.

Data replay - stops sending data when app is not in foreground or iPad screen is off. Buffers data and sends it when app is in the foreground and screen is on again.

Callsign / tail number for TIS-B traffic. (ie removes "u" & "e" from tail numbers)

Here's mine with only cable tidy up and a container to do.

GTWreck
09-04-2015, 07:36 PM
There is a new image just posted a few hours ago.

I installed this image and took it out to the hanger and fired up my panel mounted G3X+GDL39 and compared the traffic to the Stratus and Foreflight. The Stratux was picking up a couple extra targets that the GDL-39 wasn't seeing. Granted, the GDL-39 antenna is on the bottom of the plane. I also saw targets as far as 100nm away (@FL390). Overall, I'm fairly impressed with the range just using it on the ground.

The display in Foreflight is much improved over the last Stratux image. N-numbers and relative altitudes are displaying correctly.

Scrabo
09-04-2015, 07:41 PM
I installed this image and took it out to the hanger and fired up my panel mounted G3X+GDL39 and compared the traffic to the Stratus and Foreflight. The Stratux was picking up a couple extra targets that the GDL-39 wasn't seeing. Granted, the GDL-39 antenna is on the bottom of the plane. I also saw targets as far as 100nm away (@FL390). Overall, I'm fairly impressed with the range just using it on the ground.

The display in Foreflight is much improved over the last Stratux image. N-numbers and relative altitudes are displaying correctly.

Agree, it seems better overall and being able to disable the u and e prefixes on traffic cleans the screen up.

humptybump
09-04-2015, 08:08 PM
It's pretty impressive and it hasn't even hit its 1.0 release yet!

One of the big improvements will be the "read-only" SD card work. It will insure long term stability of the unit over many many flights.

If this sounds confusing, just remember that disconnecting the battery at the end of your flight is like turning off you home computer by pulling the plug out of the wall. :eek:

I'll definitely plan an update and flight this weekend!

David_Nelson
09-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Hi Everybody,

Already having an ADS-B solution (NavWorx and AFS-4500), it didn't seem to make sense to duplicate the work that the NavWorx was doing (receiving and decoding ADS-B messages). So I took the StraTux project and substituted the NavWorx for the SDR and gen_gdl90 program. I wrote a simple Python script that essentially listens on the NavWorx's RS-232 TX line and re-broadcasts the ADS-B messages via WiFi so that ForeFlight Mobile (FFM) could take it in.

Things that don't seem to work just quite right:
- GPS Altitude. As noted in the bottom left corner of the FFM pictures as '-------'.
- Traffic positions appear delayed. Comparing the AFS-4500's display with what I saw out the window with what I saw on FFM, the AFS-4500 and actual won hands down. On one occasion, a jet landing into Austin was way off my left wingtip and several thousand feet higher. The AFS display had it spot on. FFM had it way behind and to my left.
- Traffic altitudes were off compared to the AFS-4500 display. At most they seemed about 1000 ft off. This may coincide with the lack of 'GPS Altitude' mentioned earlier.
- Course was delayed. Prior to reaching KSOA, I made a U-Turn. It took FFM maybe 30-60 seconds before it showed the correct course.

What seems to work but has not been confirmed as accurate:
- SIGMETs and AIRMETs
- WX RADAR and looping
- Surface Winds

As this was my first foray into FFM and ADS-B, I may have other info available that I don't know how to access/display properly. For example, at times I was receiving data from three ADS-B antennas but I don't know how to display their location.

Some screen shots I got today:

http://caura.homenet.org/gallery/d/28935-2/IMG_0060.PNG

http://caura.homenet.org/gallery/d/28939-2/IMG_0061.PNG

http://caura.homenet.org/gallery/d/28942-2/IMG_0062.PNG

To make this work, I used:
- A copy of StraTux - mainly for the WiFI Access Point work.
- RPi Model B
- RS-232 / USB Dongle
- Cigarette Lighter to USB Power Adaptor to power the RPi
- Some wire, connectors, and a DB-9 that plugs into the above RS-232 / USB Dongle

During development, I used a USB / RS-232 dongle that plugs into the RPi's GPIO pins.
Bear in mind that this is highly alpha level stuff and nothing about it is guaranteed. If you are interested in helping out, drop me a line and I'll share the source code and any notes.

Today's test flight was about 1.5 hours. I am planning on going to the Bad Lands fly-in , WX permitting, and I intend on taking this contraption and seeing how it does for the long haul (about 6.5 hours).

Question to the folks using StraTux: Have you compared FFM's ADS-B display with a known good ADS-B display solution?

Regards,

roadrunner20
09-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Received my hardware today.
Using a MacBookPro, I didn't have any luck installing the OS with the stratux image. Multiple issues with the SD write protect tab(had to apply tape), then formatting issues, then pi filler not able to find SD even though it was present. Will start over tomorrow from scratch.

Oh & I also got taboola adware from the downloads that keeps popping up a tab in Safari. :mad:

GTWreck
09-05-2015, 03:58 AM
Received my hardware today.
Using a MacBookPro, I didn't have any luck installing the OS with the stratux image. Multiple issues with the SD write protect tab(had to apply tape), then formatting issues, then pi filler not able to find SD even though it was present. Will start over tomorrow from scratch.

Oh & I also got taboola adware from the downloads that keeps popping up a tab in Safari. :mad:

I had a similar problem using Pi Filler on MacOS. I fell back to using the terminal and the 'dd' program to write the image out.

Information here should help you out. If you're not comfortable figuring out which disk of the SD card, then you may not want to do this, as writing to the wrong disk device can potentially corrupt your hard disk.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/mac.md

humptybump
09-05-2015, 06:06 AM
Thanks Aaron!

I'm not a Mac owner so I was looking for instructions online.

I found a wiki page that has several options for writing an "image" to an SD card for raspberry pi.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

roadrunner20
09-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Thank you Aaron.I will give a try later today.

sprucemoose
09-05-2015, 07:17 AM
I too have had hit and miss success with Pi Filler for Mac. Try ApplePi Baker, which does the same thing and seems to work more reliably.

http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/raspberry-pi/macosx-apple-pi-baker/

catmandu
09-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Burned the new image this morning and took it out for a 2.5 cross-country. Attached the stock antenna to the canopy strut. Solid signal and information, better than my XGPS170 in the other plane performs. Had to restart twice airborne, but that was a function of the flaky, way too long power cord I was using. Need to find a nice short cord with 90* connections on each end.

okei
09-05-2015, 12:12 PM
I too have had hit and miss success with Pi Filler for Mac. Try ApplePi Baker, which does the same thing and seems to work more reliably.

http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/raspberry-pi/macosx-apple-pi-baker/

Pi Filler works great for me. I found that the trick was to not insert the SD card until it gets to the point where it says "Looking for SD card..." Otherwise it won't find it on my MacBook Air.

roadrunner20
09-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Pi Filler works great for me. I found that the trick was to not insert the SD card until it gets to the point where it says "Looking for SD card..." Otherwise it won't find it on my MacBook Air.

Thank you Okei.
That did the trick. It found the SD card and the image has been loaded.
I'll try the bootup later on tonight.

I really appreciate your help on this. :)

petehowell
09-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Quick lunch trip to Superior gave me a chance to try out the Gizmo. Pretty impressive..... some captioned pics in the link (https://goo.gl/Cn4fTH)

The Gizmo and IFlyGPS.............
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HyJiIxwhPIs/Ve3sElMTORI/AAAAAAAAnjI/fDdZ4aVxTr0/s800-Ic42/IMG_20150907_114440441_HDR.jpg

Traffic!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EMoUR0ZvN3A/Ve3sFOYKEdI/AAAAAAAAnjI/BwHACZNvRQA/s800-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-09-07-11-53-29.jpg

Good Reception - 6 Towers...........
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gKK3MFg44mk/Ve3sF3UJMaI/AAAAAAAAnjI/bx1y5lrgPPQ/s800-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-09-07-11-55-22.jpg

Scrabo
09-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Quick lunch trip to Superior gave me a chance to try out the Gizmo. Pretty impressive..... some captioned pics in the link (https://goo.gl/Cn4fTH)

The Gizmo and IFlyGPS.............
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HyJiIxwhPIs/Ve3sElMTORI/AAAAAAAAnjI/fDdZ4aVxTr0/s800-Ic42/IMG_20150907_114440441_HDR.jpg

Traffic!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EMoUR0ZvN3A/Ve3sFOYKEdI/AAAAAAAAnjI/BwHACZNvRQA/s800-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-09-07-11-53-29.jpg

Good Reception - 6 Towers...........
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gKK3MFg44mk/Ve3sF3UJMaI/AAAAAAAAnjI/bx1y5lrgPPQ/s800-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-09-07-11-55-22.jpg

So you are the iFlyGPS user....:D. But serious surprised you have to extend the antenna that much to get good UAT data rates, mine is not extended at all and surprised me with the rates

ChiefPilot
09-07-2015, 05:09 PM
So you are the iFlyGPS user....:D. But serious surprised you have to extend the antenna that much to get good UAT data rates, mine is not extended at all and surprised me with the rates

I flew mine from South St. Paul MN to Hutchinson KS and back on Friday, and extending the antenna at all had negative consequences on the reception. My antenna is stuck to the side of the slider frame, antenna vertical.

I bought a dedicated 978MHz antenna, and as a quarter wave antenna it is quite a bit shorter than the collapsed "stock" antenna is. Will try that next, but the existing antenna was quite usable - always at least three towers visible on the trip I mentioned above, with usually five or six and as many as nine at times.

humptybump
09-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm contributing to the Stratux project for the WebUI. I'd love your input on what you want in the web interface (and a brief detail of why). The VAF site is not the forum for that work. So ...

I'd like to have as many of you who wish, post over on the reddit subgroup for Stratux. I've already defined a few VAFers. Thanks! The developers and a broad range of users are active in that corner of the Internet.

If you have ideas, suggestions, or even issues, please share on the reddit subgroup.

Over the next 2-3 weeks, we hope for stability as well as some big additions. I (we) look forward to your input.

Thanks!

petehowell
09-07-2015, 05:35 PM
I have some mcx connectors coming in the mail to allow me to make a properly sized antenna. I was surprised at the extension as well, but it was repeatable in the plane and on my back porch.

I was always able to meet or better the reception of my GDL39.

ChiefPilot
09-07-2015, 05:51 PM
I have some mcx connectors coming in the mail to allow me to make a properly sized antenna. I was surprised at the extension as well, but it was repeatable in the plane and on my back porch.

I was always able to meet or better the reception of my GDL39.

Stuff like this is why I think RF engineers are akin to voodoo witchdoctors. Anything related to RF seems to me to be black magic of the darkest kind :)

humptybump
09-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Funny you should mentions RF engineers. I have a dear friend who is a voodoo doer.

We talked at length about the antennas and I concluded that a half-wave was the way to go since we are "receive only" and there is no need for a ground plane on a receive-only antenna.

A half wave antenna for 978Mhz is close enough to 5-7/8" as we want it to be.

Those voodoo doers are a precious commodity.

fr0gpil0t
09-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm contributing to the Stratux project for the WebUI. I'd love your input on what you want in the web interface (and a brief detail of why). The VAF site is not the forum for that work. So ...

I'd like to have as many of you who wish, post over on the reddit subgroup for Stratux. I've already defined a few VAFers. Thanks! The developers and a broad range of users are active in that corner of the Internet.

If you have ideas, suggestions, or even issues, please share on the reddit subgroup.

Over the next 2-3 weeks, we hope for stability as well as some big additions. I (we) look forward to your input.

Thanks!

As the project uses dump1090 - is it possible to turn the dump1090 web server on so when not in the plane using foreflight, I can use it to display traffic ?

petehowell
09-07-2015, 07:02 PM
I took a quick and dirty sample of 978 UAT data tonight using the IFLY data rate dialog. One tower only from the comfort of my back porch. The data seems to support what I saw in the plane today - that a longer antenna with length of ~7.75-8.25 inches from transition of plastic base to metal antenna provides a better data transfer rate.

Methodology - Antenna length was set and then data taken at 10 sec intervals for 4 intervals.

I'll try it again later - not intuitive at all...happy to be proven wrong

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GSIIdjUWYXo/Ve4t2EGmAxI/AAAAAAAAnk4/hKOmNb3vr8g/s800-Ic42/Stratux%252520Data%252520Rate.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TwZK4-OUpqg/Ve4t73MBzKI/AAAAAAAAnlA/lW0t-xsG0rk/s800-Ic42/Stratux%252520Data%252520Rate%252520Graph.jpg

flytoday
09-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Quick Labor Day weekend x-country, Houston to Ft. Benning and back. 11 hours flight time including VFR weather deviations.

At altitudes above 500', every time I checked FFlight indicated at least 1 tower, most frequently 3 or more. Also used flight following on every leg. Cruise altitudes were 1000', 2.5K, 3.5K, 4.5K, and 5.5K.

I taped the Stratux antenna to the top of the passenger seat seatback, behind her left shoulder, with antenna un-extended, and battery/R Pi sat on the baggage compartment floor.

In eleven hours I only saw traffic in my vicinity twice, in the Houston area, and a single plane I was overtaking while enroute at 3.5K near Montgomery AL. Maybe cumulative view of traffic for 20 minutes time in 11 hours of towers in view. Did see distant weather at least a few of the hours.

I still see value in keeping/buying XM Wx on my 496, and look forward to more ADSB-out aircraft "pinging" the ground stations so traffic appears more consistently.

Pleased to have another tool to increase Situational Awareness, and it does indeed provide traffic and weather information to Foreflight on a 64 gB iPad2 for a one-time cost of around $120. My GPS position comes from the BadElf chip plugged into the iPad2 charging/data connector. Since the Pad 2 battery has weakened I supplement power with USB "recharger" packs.

It would really be nice if FFlight would audio announce that ADSB identified traffic is within a certain range of your position. That annunciation could draw your attention to the display.

Carl

Scrabo
09-07-2015, 07:49 PM
I took a quick and dirty sample of 978 UAT data tonight using the IFLY data rate dialog. One tower only from the comfort of my back porch. The data seems to support what I saw in the plane today - that a longer antenna with length of ~7.75-8.25 inches from transition of plastic base to metal antenna provides a better data transfer rate.

Methodology - Antenna length was set and then data taken at 10 sec intervals for 4 intervals.

Must reports I have seen have it the antenna at 5.5 to 5.75 inches

Scrabo
09-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Anyone have it working on FlyQ V2.0 ? I know you have to change the SSID to "Stratus12345" for it to recognize it but the app loses traffic after about 30 seconds.

Rock solid on WingX the complete time.

PaigeHoffart
09-08-2015, 05:21 AM
Pete it looks like you've rediscovered the 5/8 wave antenna. You should be able to increase your efficiency some with an impedance matching network. I'm curious to see how it performs in the air. The sensitivity directly above and below you will probably suffer (I'm guessing TIS-B traffic is broadcast from the nearest ground station). You could get some data on the ground by tilting the antenna towards or away from the ground station to look at the gain at various elevation angles.

Paige

humptybump
09-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Hi Paige,

I'm not an RF guy. I always look for experts when this stuff comes up. I tried to do some reading and came up dry.

Everything I read about impedance matching focuses on transmit efficiency. Can you point me to a book or document or internet page that goes into the specific influence of impedance matching on a receive-only system?

Thanks.

David Paule
09-08-2015, 09:30 AM
There's now a 7" touch screen available.

That is, it's available for the Raspberry Pi, not the Stratux. So far. (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/09/raspberry-pi-now-has-a-60-7-inch-touchscreen-display/)

Dave

DrHolling
09-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Pete,

Your data makes sense for 1/2, 5/8, & 3/4 wavelength antenna lengths.
These are the lengths I calculate for 978MHz:

Speed of light 299792458
Frequency 978000000

Antenna length in inches.
Full wave: 12.06820977
3/4 wave: 9.051157327
5/8 wave: 7.542631106
1/2 wave: 6.034104885
1/4 wave: 3.017052442

Looks like 1/2 wave and above really helps.

Not an antenna expert just following a basic calculation.
Dave

PaigeHoffart
09-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Hi Paige,

I'm not an RF guy. I always look for experts when this stuff comes up. I tried to do some reading and came up dry.

Everything I read about impedance matching focuses on transmit efficiency. Can you point me to a book or document or internet page that goes into the specific influence of impedance matching on a receive-only system?

Thanks.

Impedance matching works both ways. You are attempting to couple maximum power from one device to another. Bad things happen to transmitters with a poor match, but performance is also lost when a receiver has a bad match.

Noise also enters into the equation in receive systems, so sometimes the best signal to noise ratio is achieved when the receiver's internal matching network is adjusted for best noise performance instead of maximum power transfer, but that's the radio designer's problem. You can basically treat the receiver as a black box that expects to see an antenna of a specific impedance (usually 50, sometimes 75 ohms).

The best you can do is match the antenna to the transmission line (coax) to the receiver. If you don't, you lose power and increase noise.

Here's a pretty extreme example from google books:https://books.google.com/books?id=6-tZBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=impedance+matching+receive+noise+figure&source=bl&ots=RVfcK8gVXx&sig=a6kTWf2Gh9-PQP9Ok-A_4q4dP60&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAzgKahUKEwiT1bfIvOjHAhWQD5IKHW3GAB8#v =onepage&q=impedance%20matching%20receive%20noise%20figure&f=false

roadrunner20
09-08-2015, 06:18 PM
I finally got back to booting up the latest image installed from pi_filler macbook pro.
On bootup, I select option 1, for using the remainder of the sd card as writeable.
Then, I was prompted for the userid & password.
I remember the uid = pi, and pwd=null.
no go on the null password.
Can someone chime in?

mchargmg
09-08-2015, 06:25 PM
So how long before someone comes up with an ADSB out solution like this? GPS layers are all over for Rasberry. I would transmit, so maybe that is the problem, just not legal? Just wondered if anyone had heard anything. It surely would never meet the mandate, but if it was cheap, it might give you better situational awareness.

cheers

Geoff

ChiefPilot
09-08-2015, 06:42 PM
So how long before someone comes up with an ADSB out solution like this? GPS layers are all over for Rasberry. I would transmit, so maybe that is the problem, just not legal? Just wondered if anyone had heard anything. It surely would never meet the mandate, but if it was cheap, it might give you better situational awareness.

Technically, it's very feasible - it's been done already, in fact. Doing so would run afoul of both FAA and FCC rules.

As an aside, that it is in fact so easy to do demonstrates the lack of security inherent in the current ADS-B system and why primary radar will continue to have a place in the ATC system in a post-9/11 world.

fr0gpil0t
09-08-2015, 06:52 PM
I finally got back to booting up the latest image installed from pi_filler macbook pro.
On bootup, I select option 1, for using the remainder of the sd card as writeable.
Can someone chime in?

Default Raspberry Pi password is raspberry

okei
09-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Can someone chime in?

Username: pi, password: raspberry. The blue screen comes up but you really don't need to interact with the device at that point, it's already reading from the tuner and has created the wifi network.

Charles C
09-09-2015, 08:40 PM
I just checked the site and saw there is a new update available. I have not downloaded it yet but will try tomorrow.

Just wanted to pass it on.

roadrunner20
09-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Username: pi, password: raspberry. The blue screen comes up but you really don't need to interact with the device at that point, it's already reading from the tuner and has created the wifi network.

The boot cycle throws some errors & the wifi network is not active.

Scrabo
09-09-2015, 09:28 PM
I just checked the site and saw there is a new update available. I have not downloaded it yet but will try tomorrow.

Just wanted to pass it on.

You mean https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/tree/v0.2r1. That's been out for a few days now and is a improvement in stability

Bill Boyd
09-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Funny you should mentions RF engineers. I have a dear friend who is a voodoo doer.

We talked at length about the antennas and I concluded that a half-wave was the way to go since we are "receive only" and there is no need for a ground plane on a receive-only antenna.

A half wave antenna for 978Mhz is close enough to 5-7/8" as we want it to be.

Those voodoo doers are a precious commodity.

My EFHW experience, while extensive, is all at 7, 10 and 14 MHz. UHF is a different animal when it comes to practical design and construction.

I'm going to sit back and watch the stripline and waveguide guys figure out proper matching for your receive antennas, which is important for Rx just as it is in Tx, except you don't blow finals with your mismatch in a receiver ;)

Enjoying this very geeky thread.

-Stormy

Veetail88
09-10-2015, 01:29 PM
I've been using AvNav EFB for a while now and like it. Relatively inexpensive too at $4.99 a month after the 30 day free trial.

I sent the developer an e-mail tipping him off about the Stratux project and let him know it might be a good move to support the device. I don't really want to change at this point as I'm used to it.

Anyway, I got this reply today. Just thought ya'all might like to know of this option.

"Jesse, this is a very exciting development. We will certainly support it. As soon as next week's release. Thanks for the heads up. Sanjay"

roadrunner20
09-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Got it working! Stratux is enabled & available.
On the ground I'm seeing weather. No traffic, but as others have said, you gotta be flyin' :D

I'll be test flying it tomorrow as my last flight prior to a panel upgrade.

I just received my GRT 8.4 Sport SX EFIS with synthetic vision. I'll use the old Dynon10A as a backup. It was state of the art when I installed it back in 2006.

chepburn
09-12-2015, 07:08 AM
Received my pi on Friday,, waiting for the SDRadio stick next week.

I'm planning to add a USB serial out to the go code to feed my Odyssey's ADSB in...looking forward to integrating this.

Once done, I will share it.

Chris

Charles C
09-12-2015, 01:24 PM
I have bought my Stratux and love it so far. I was wondering what people are using as a case and other options for the antennas. I was hoping to find a way to clean it up and keep the wires contained and maybe some type of quick disconnect for the antenna.

The main reason I am asking is because I went on my trip to ATL and had to fly back on the airlines due to weather and my wife made me dissemble it, split up the pieces and put in in several different bags. She didn’t want to have the TSA holding me for several hours trying to get it through security…LOL. Also I was at work before I left for the trip and had it was sitting on my desk and a K9 deputy (friend of mine) came in the hanger and he thought he might have to go get his dog to do a sweep of the device to make sure it was safe.….He was joking :D:D:D:D.

Also is there a need for the dual attennas?

So any photos would be nice. Thanks.

Scrabo
09-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Flew today with it again, didnt take long for it to shutdown on the glare screen, but sitting on the backseat it was fine.

emuyshondt
09-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Anybody know how well this stub antenna (http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=TG.22.0111virtualkey57580000v irtualkey960-TG220111) would work with the Raspberry Pi setup? The return loss graph in the datasheet makes it look like it should work ok. It is much better than the graph for the antenna used by the Skyguard TWX setup.

Scrabo
09-12-2015, 03:01 PM
I used these today with good results

http://i.imgur.com/JNBFRmm.jpg?1

Darin Watson
09-12-2015, 04:41 PM
I used these today with good results

http://i.imgur.com/JNBFRmm.jpg?1

So being a neophyte...is this setup for dual band?

Scrabo
09-12-2015, 05:05 PM
So being a neophyte...is this setup for dual band?

Yes

Its just slapped together with velcro straps and rubber bands until I find a better way to package it

PaigeHoffart
09-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Anybody know how well this stub antenna (http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=TG.22.0111virtualkey57580000v irtualkey960-TG220111) would work with the Raspberry Pi setup? The return loss graph in the datasheet makes it look like it should work ok. It is much better than the graph for the antenna used by the Skyguard TWX setup.

I'm not sure what skyguard is using, but a 4dB return loss isn't good. The higher the return loss number, the better (lower) the SWR is.

Simply stripping the shield off a piece of the coax, leaving 2 7/8" of insulated center conductor exposed would probably work better. For best performance use a $20 transponder antenna on your belly and connect it to the SDR dongle.

Paige

Scrabo
09-12-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure what skyguard is using, but a 4dB return loss isn't good. The higher the return loss number, the better (lower) the SWR is.

Simply stripping the shield off a piece of the coax, leaving 2 7/8" of insulated center conductor exposed would probably work better. For best performance use a $20 transponder antenna on your belly and connect it to the SDR dongle.

Paige

Skyguard uses these and this is their supplier.. I use these myself.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ANT-916-CW-HWR-SMA/ANT-916-CW-HWR-SMA-ND/1139580

emuyshondt
09-13-2015, 02:58 AM
The datasheet for the Skyguard antenna is at https://www.linxtechnologies.com/resources/data-guides/ant-916-cw-hwr.pdf and says the antenna is recommended for 900 to 930 MHz. It has a pretty sharp VSWR curve that is at a minimum just below 916MHz. If tha antenna works well, the other one I posted should look even better. I haven't tried either, though, and Skyguard seems to get enough performance out of theirs.

Scrabo
09-13-2015, 10:57 AM
The datasheet for the Skyguard antenna is at https://www.linxtechnologies.com/resources/data-guides/ant-916-cw-hwr.pdf and says the antenna is recommended for 900 to 930 MHz. It has a pretty sharp VSWR curve that is at a minimum just below 916MHz. If tha antenna works well, the other one I posted should look even better. I haven't tried either, though, and Skyguard seems to get enough performance out of theirs.

Let me know your findings between the two antennas

emuyshondt
09-13-2015, 12:37 PM
I ordered the stub antenna. I may also try the Linx Technology (Skyguard) later on. I actually ordered it from Skyguard, but they refunded my money yesterday and told me to go get it from DigiKey. I'm traveling for a few weeks so it will have to wait until after I get back and try things with the stuff I already got. I don't have any measurement equipment to give detailed answers, though.

I thought maybe there are some RF gurus here that might know the answer without me having to buy a lot of hardware.

One thing I will try is running two receivers 978 and 1090MHz), with a splitter and a single antenna. I have the parts to do that waiting for me.

Scrabo
09-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Looking at this for some cooling relief

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Raspberry-Pi-B2-Acrylic-Enclosure-w-CPU-Fan-p-2132.html

petehowell
09-15-2015, 06:15 AM
While I would encourage others to experiment, I have been doing some test flights and am happy to report that science works and I am finding the best over all results with one antenna just under 3 in long feeding both SDR sticks.

This antenna consistently pulls in the same number of towers as the GDL sitting next to it on the dash, is compact, and seems to work pretty well on both bands.

I still get better reception on 978 with an extended antenna on my back porch, but I don't fly there very often, so I am gonna ask that people ignore my previous post (for those of you who don't ignore all of my posts already.....)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GSIIdjUWYXo/Ve4t2EGmAxI/AAAAAAAAnk4/hKOmNb3vr8g/s800-Ic42/Stratux%252520Data%252520Rate.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TwZK4-OUpqg/Ve4t73MBzKI/AAAAAAAAnlA/lW0t-xsG0rk/s800-Ic42/Stratux%252520Data%252520Rate%252520Graph.jpg

RickG
09-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Pete - which antenna are you using?

humptybump
09-15-2015, 07:21 AM
I am finding the best over all results with one antenna just under 3 in long feeding both SDR sticks.

Pete, if you don't mind, would you post a picture of your antenna? Also, when you say "feeding both SDRs" would you share what you did to share the antenna?

Thanks for your contributions!

petehowell
09-15-2015, 07:43 AM
I'll try to grab it at lunch and post some pics. My daughter dubbed it the "killer bee".

Pete, if you don't mind, would you post a picture of your antenna? Also, when you say "feeding both SDRs" would you share what you did to share the antenna?

Thanks for your contributions!

humptybump
09-15-2015, 09:52 AM
I'll try to grab it at lunch and post some pics. My daughter dubbed it the "killer bee".

Your daughter should be in marketing :)

petehowell
09-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Your daughter should be in marketing :)

Here you go!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iLVg7Sf06Uc/Vfg_TOcTIYI/AAAAAAAAnnA/0oI6GI3jsOA/s800-Ic42/IMG_20150915_105200273_HDR.jpg

Lunch time cell phone greatness!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PR6lngh6P24/Vfg_XIl0OaI/AAAAAAAAnnI/wBUtGuqT6co/s800-Ic42/IMG_20150915_105218590.jpg

Printed case from a clever Reddit guy. 2x $1.43 usb extensions. Velcro strap from the bottom of my desk drawer. Yes - those are Legos as spacers........ The antenna is from the $12 SDR stick chopped to ~3" with 2 cables run into the base and soldered. Will probably incorp a small fan at some point. Antenna might get a bit shorter, but works pretty well. (5 Towers at 1000AGL just north of Minne. and good ES coverage of the big boys upstairs)

Clearly, this design is an acquired taste. Proceed with your giggling - I can handle it! My wife says it needs a sign that says "NOT A BOMB!"

ChiefPilot
09-15-2015, 10:27 AM
My wife says it needs a sign that says "NOT A BOMB!"

LOL! When my boys saw mine, they asked if the Pi was a detonator and the battery pack was the explosive charge.

Definitely not going to put this thing in the carry-on luggage...

Scrabo
09-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Here you go!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iLVg7Sf06Uc/Vfg_TOcTIYI/AAAAAAAAnnA/0oI6GI3jsOA/s800-Ic42/IMG_20150915_105200273_HDR.jpg

Lunch time cell phone greatness!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PR6lngh6P24/Vfg_XIl0OaI/AAAAAAAAnnI/wBUtGuqT6co/s800-Ic42/IMG_20150915_105218590.jpg

Printed case from a clever Reddit guy. 2x $1.43 usb extensions. Velcro strap from the bottom on my desk drawer. Yes - those are Legos as spacers........ The antenna is from the $12 SDR stick chopped to ~3" with 2 cables run into the base and soldered. Will probably incorp a small fan at some point. Antenna might get a bit shorter, but works pretty well. (5 Towers at 1000AGL just north of Minne. and good ES coverage of the big boys upstairs)

Clearly, this design is an acquired taste. Proceed with your giggling - I can handle it! My wife says it needs a sign that says "NOT A BOMB!"

It doesnt have a red flashing light or countdown clock, no bleep bleep sounds so acording to my TV research... Its not a bomb

Leland
09-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Here you go!

and good ES coverage of the big boys upstairs)
"

Pete, when you see the "big boys upstairs", can you also see the little boys below them, when you are close enough?

Scrabo
09-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Pete, when you see the "big boys upstairs", can you also see the little boys below them, when you are close enough?

Love the lego, you just solved a problem for me

petehowell
09-15-2015, 11:14 AM

I am getting good coverage on 978 and 1090. WX data is streaming in, I see the local traffic nearby and airliners up top.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Cq4orSaqA3U/VfhRhwDlm7I/AAAAAAAAnnk/SA_DAp8O4gs/s800-Ic42/image-3.png

petehowell
09-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Some people ask why a J-Pole.....I Ask, Why NOT!

Easy build and it rocked on 978Mhz! Some scrap plexi, copper tape and a little math! It opens up the possibility of a flexible antenna that could be incorporated into the canopy as well ......

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TMVdxx0TmNU/Vfjyt9eXarI/AAAAAAAAnpc/X4kffqZgRI4/s800-Ic42/IMG_6280.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Sn7PRlmOdok/VfjyuxGHVzI/AAAAAAAAnpc/kFQwb2XVEoo/s800-Ic42/IMG_6282.JPG

More to come.....

Leland
09-16-2015, 12:29 AM
I am getting good coverage on 978 and 1090. WX data is streaming in, I see the local traffic nearby and airliners up top.

But do you see all the local traffic when the airliners are overhead, or do you only see ADS-B Out equipped local traffic?

Bill Boyd
09-16-2015, 05:21 AM
Some people ask why a J-Pole.....I Ask, Why NOT!

Easy build and it rocked on 978Mhz! Some scrap plexi, copper tape and a little math! It opens up the possibility of a flexible antenna that could be incorporated into the canopy as well ......

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TMVdxx0TmNU/Vfjyt9eXarI/AAAAAAAAnpc/X4kffqZgRI4/s800-Ic42/IMG_6280.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Sn7PRlmOdok/VfjyuxGHVzI/AAAAAAAAnpc/kFQwb2XVEoo/s800-Ic42/IMG_6282.JPG

More to come.....

I said I had only played with end-fed half wave antennas at HF, but I forgot about my homebrew J-poles for 2m and 440 fast-scan TV. :o

Great idea! Just hate to see it attached to RG-174 or similar with losses of 1dB/inch :D at 900MHz. Well, maybe not quite that bad. Best to mount the receiver right at the antenna and ditch the feedline if you can.

Like I said, awesome geeky thread. Carry on.

-Stormy

petehowell
09-16-2015, 06:08 AM
Hi Leland,

I see all the traffic if it is in the system b/c I am ADS-B out equipped.

So I am seeing 978 out planes, 1090 out planes, and radar targets that are rebroadcast to me as an out equipped plane.

If I have misunderstood your question, let me know.

But do you see all the local traffic when the airliners are overhead, or do you only see ADS-B Out equipped local traffic?

dan carley
09-16-2015, 06:24 AM
does any one know when they might come out with one for garmin pilot?

thanks
dan carley

petehowell
09-16-2015, 07:13 AM
Yes the coax is a joke - thus the small runs on "The Bee" blahahaha

I said I had only played with end-fed half wave antennas at HF, but I forgot about my homebrew J-poles for 2m and 440 fast-scan TV. :o

Great idea! Just hate to see it attached to RG-174 or similar with losses of 1dB/inch :D at 900MHz. Well, maybe not quite that bad. Best to mount the receiver right at the antenna and ditch the feedline if you can.

Like I said, awesome geeky thread. Carry on.

-Stormy

humptybump
09-16-2015, 08:20 AM
!Just hate to see it attached to RG-174 or similar with losses of 1dB/inch at 900MHz.

stormy, I used one of the online "calculators" and came up with about "0.35 dB" loss at 978Mhz for 12 inches of RG-174. Did I make a mistake?

petehowell
09-16-2015, 11:42 PM
Tested the Jpole vs the stock antenna tonight. Jpole pulls data from the 1 ground station from my back porch very well - the stock antenna did not at all. Looks to be promising for further development!

Screen cap video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCnfh3zyC34&feature=youtu.be) tells the story. Log files being analyzed.

okei
09-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Tested the Jpole vs the stock antenna tonight. Jpole pulls data from the 1 ground station from my back porch very well - the stock antenna did not at all. Looks to be promising for further development!

Screen cap video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCnfh3zyC34&feature=youtu.be) tells the story. Log files being analyzed.

So cool. I'm going to give the J-pole a try! Thanks!

Bill Boyd
09-17-2015, 04:10 PM
;)

stormy, I used one of the online "calculators" and came up with about "0.35 dB" loss at 978Mhz for 12 inches of RG-174. Did I make a mistake?

You missed my tongue-in-cheek. It's all good.

Point it, it works - and apparently, very well.

WingedFrog
09-19-2015, 10:38 AM
During my flight testing with Stratux using Fltplan GO on an Android Nexus I was disappointed to discover that the GPS function did not work any longer. I have been using FLtplan GO as a backup of my Skyview and I program all my flights in Skyview and Fltplan GO. All other functions of Stratux (Weather and Traffic) are working but when ADS-B is on my map is no more moving on Nexus.
Here is what support at Fltplan answered on this matter:

"This is because Stratux does not have built in GPS and at this time our app does not support separate ADS-B and GPS receivers.
We will be making changes to the programming in the next couple weeks so that you can separate the two out. ".

It looks like Fltplan is going to do something about it soon. I hope so else it would be a big incentive to switch to another application on a different type of tablet.

Scrabo
09-19-2015, 05:50 PM
New beta version posted today..

Auto configure RY835AI GPS over serial port.
Added support for different GPS sentences.

lr172
09-19-2015, 06:37 PM
I want to upgrade to one of the new beta releases, but the notes indicate that the logging is turned on and will fill up the memory card with data. Does anyone know how to turn off the logging? There was mention of a console, but I have never used a console for this program. I burned it to the SD card and it self boots on the Raspberry. Also happy to lock the card or create a partition as they suggeted, but don't know how to do that.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Larry

NM Doug
09-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Hi Larry - I've been playing around some with the beta builds, both from the image and building from source. I'm not as proficient as the people doing the coding, but as far as I can tell, the only way to turn the logging on or off at this point is when the software is compiled. Even with the logging on, though, it would still take the stratux several hours to accumulate a log large enough to fill up the micro SD card.

If you are able to connect a console (like Terminal in OS X) to the RPi with an ethernet cable, you can try logging in with something like "ssh pi@192.168.2.2" (that's the default IP address, AFIK). The default password is raspberry. If you get logged in OK, you can try looking at the logs with "ls -al /var/log". You'd see a listing of the log files for the RPi, including a few for the stratux. You can try deleting the UAT log (the one that would grow the fastest with a single SDR antenna) with "sudo rm -f /var/log/stratux-uat.log". Then do "ls -al /var/log" to see if the UAT log has in fact gone away. You'd probably have to restart the Rpi to get stratux happily running and logging away again (restart it with "sudo shutdown -r 0"), but I'm not sure if it needs the restart.

As I said, I'm learning this as I go, so YMMV! I've started over from scratch on the SD card a few times while experimenting...!

lr172
09-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Hi Larry - I've been playing around some with the beta builds, both from the image and building from source. I'm not as proficient as the people doing the coding, but as far as I can tell, the only way to turn the logging on or off at this point is when the software is compiled. Even with the logging on, though, it would still take the stratux several hours to accumulate a log large enough to fill up the micro SD card.

If you are able to connect a console (like Terminal in OS X) to the RPi with an ethernet cable, you can try logging in with something like "ssh pi@192.168.2.2" (that's the default IP address, AFIK). The default password is raspberry. If you get logged in OK, you can try looking at the logs with "ls -al /var/log". You'd see a listing of the log files for the RPi, including a few for the stratux. You can try deleting the UAT log (the one that would grow the fastest with a single SDR antenna) with "sudo rm -f /var/log/stratux-uat.log". Then do "ls -al /var/log" to see if the UAT log has in fact gone away. You'd probably have to restart the Rpi to get stratux happily running and logging away again (restart it with "sudo shutdown -r 0"), but I'm not sure if it needs the restart.

As I said, I'm learning this as I go, so YMMV! I've started over from scratch on the SD card a few times while experimenting...!

Thanks for the guidance Doug. I will try some of these suggestions. Do you know if the log deletes itself after shut down or will it keep collecting? If the latter, when the disk gets full, will Statux still run or does it need free space to do things? I don't get why the developers would turn this on, knowing that users will have to take proactive steps to keep the system running. That seems inconsistent with their philosophy on this project.

Larry

petehowell
09-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Had 3 hrs in the plane today to do comparisons. The J-pole always picked up more ground stations and traffic than the ~3" stub antenna, but is harder to package in the plane. When you are are 4500 ft, they both work pretty well.

I'l continue to experiment.......

humptybump
09-20-2015, 04:21 AM
Does anyone know how to turn off the logging?

Hi Larry,

If you are comfortable with SSH to access the Raspberry Pi while it's running and if you can use "vi" or "nano" to edit the file /etc/stratux.conf then you can turn logging on/off that way without touching the code.

The content of the config file are shown in this other thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3l84cm/calibrating_the_rtlsdr_dongle/

You want to set ReplayLog to false.

lr172
09-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Hi Larry,

If you are comfortable with SSH to access the Raspberry Pi while it's running and if you can use "vi" or "nano" to edit the file /etc/stratux.conf then you can turn logging on/off that way without touching the code.

The content of the config file are shown in this other thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3l84cm/calibrating_the_rtlsdr_dongle/

You want to set ReplayLog to false.

Thanks Glen. I can figure out SSH, but I don't have a mac or linux, so not sure how to edit the file yet. Can I delete the log file via SSH? Also, can I edit the config file while the SD card is in my windows machine or is this config file programmatically create at run time?

Larry

humptybump
09-20-2015, 10:50 AM
I'd suggest doing a little reading on "nano". It's the easiest text editor on the Stratux.

For more detailed questions, it would be good to use the reddit forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/

I'm doing everything in my power to resist turning VAF into a Stratux support site.

Snowflake
09-20-2015, 11:10 AM
During my flight testing with Stratux using Fltplan GO on an Android Nexus I was disappointed to discover that the GPS function did not work any longer. ...

Here is what support at Fltplan answered on this matter:

"This is because Stratux does not have built in GPS and at this time our app does not support separate ADS-B and GPS receivers.
We will be making changes to the programming in the next couple weeks so that you can separate the two out."

Interesting, and good to know as I am running FltPlanGo on Android as well. It does make me wonder though: Could you plug in a GPS antenna to the Stratux and include the GPS data that way? One of the benefits of the Stratus/Dual/etc. units is that it's also a GPS, so you can ensure good signal regardless of where the tablet is in the cockpit... Maybe it's an option for Stratux?

humptybump
09-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Stratux has beta level support for GPS. As development continues, it will have full support for a GPS/AHRS module that adds about $45 to the cost. You can read about current beta testing experience over on the reddit subgroup.

petehowell
09-21-2015, 08:12 PM
No surprise to many VAFers, but Don P's Delta Pop antenna is a big winner with Stratux! I made a quick and dirty 2X - MCX to BNC splitter cable by jamming 2 RG174 cables into an RG58 BNC. This can't be legal...... what the heck, give it a try!

Well, this is what I saw on the ground at KANE......No towers are available on the ground at KANE.....
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DhD9zl1iB68/VgCuFLsZjNI/AAAAAAAAnwE/O95GE3cGj6Y/s800-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-09-21-18-27-37.jpg

At 1000 AGL I had 5 towers and crazy data rates....
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-am_MReOd0Fc/VgCuFq_STaI/AAAAAAAAnwE/1qGnwkqjxI4/s800-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-09-21-18-34-43.jpg

A video of the action (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu92SMfeVzg)- sorry about the music - it was better than loud engine noise.

The stock antenna and the jpole work OK, but the Delta Pop is crazy good.

Brantel
09-22-2015, 05:50 AM
Pete your such a geek! :p

petehowell
09-22-2015, 06:14 AM
Pete your such a geek! :p

If the shoe fits!

Brantel
09-22-2015, 06:30 AM
If the shoe fits!

My kind of people! :D

Snowflake
09-22-2015, 07:18 AM
Stratux has beta level support for GPS. As development continues, it will have full support for a GPS/AHRS module that adds about $45 to the cost. You can read about current beta testing experience over on the reddit subgroup.
Well, alrighty then... Guess i'd better look at placing an order from Amazon... :)

moll780
09-23-2015, 12:53 PM
is this the antenna you are referring to?

No surprise to many VAFers, but Don P's Delta Pop antenna is a big winner with Stratux! I made a quick and dirty 2X - MCX to BNC splitter cable by jamming 2 RG174 cables into an RG58 BNC. This can't be legal...... what the heck, give it a try!

Well, this is what I saw on the ground at KANE......No towers are available on the ground at KANE.....
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DhD9zl1iB68/VgCuFLsZjNI/AAAAAAAAnwE/O95GE3cGj6Y/s800-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-09-21-18-27-37.jpg

At 1000 AGL I had 5 towers and crazy data rates....
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-am_MReOd0Fc/VgCuFq_STaI/AAAAAAAAnwE/1qGnwkqjxI4/s800-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-09-21-18-34-43.jpg

A video of the action (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu92SMfeVzg)- sorry about the music - it was better than loud engine noise.

The stock antenna and the jpole work OK, but the Delta Pop is crazy good.

Scrabo
09-23-2015, 11:56 PM
New beta posted : v0.3b4

GPS message replay log.
UAT signal strength logging.
/var/log/stratux.log - added periodic status updates (CPU temp, GPS info, etc.)
Improved queue/memory management.
Go1.5.1 (dev).

Tony Kirk
09-25-2015, 06:36 AM
I designed and printed my own totally self-contained Stratux case, simply plug in the micro-USB power cord and go flying.

My design has a cooling fan and I printed it with ABS plastic so it should survive summertime use on the glare-shield. A couple strips of velcro will hold it in place.

The reception is great, I was receiving 10 978Mhz towers and over 6,000 1090es messages while cruising at 1,000" AGL.

See more details in my Reddit post at Stratux Case (https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3m382l/my_idea_of_the_best_setup_with_a_cooling_fan/?ref=share&ref_source=link).

More photos are at http://imgur.com/gallery/bS2gD/new.

And get my 3D STL files and build instructions at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1013857.

Now I need to tinker with a j-pole antenna design to incorporate into the case.

http://i.imgur.com/dK16BBb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EEw2wYK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/35dbcOA.jpg
Notice - the portable battery on top of the box is not good for built-in GPS reception - this was a test flight of ADS-B reception only. It will be plugged into a 2.5A cigarette adapter plug for normal use.

petehowell
09-25-2015, 07:39 AM
is this the antenna you are referring to?

That would be the one.....

petehowell
09-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Sweet build, my friend. Don't hesitate to hit me up if I can help with the J-pole.

I designed and printed my own totally self-contained Stratux case, simply plug in the micro-USB power cord and go flying.

My design has a cooling fan and I printed it with ABS plastic so it should survive summertime use on the glare-shield. A couple strips of velcro will hold it in place.

The reception is great, I was receiving 10 978Mhz towers and over 6,000 1090es messages while cruising at 1,000" AGL.

moll780
09-25-2015, 08:21 AM
would a jpole antenna be better than the deltapop antenna?

Where would one mount the deltapop UAT? I would guess under the AC someplace as close to the receiver to avoid single loss as much as possible without interfering with under fuse mounted comm antennas..

Sweet build, my friend. Don't hesitate to hit me up if I can help with the J-pole.

petehowell
09-25-2015, 08:32 AM
I found the Jpole better than the stock dongle antenna, but the delta pop with the airframe as ground plane was even better.

Not a lot of testing - YMMV.....

would a jpole antenna be better than the deltapop antenna?

Where would one mount the deltapop UAT? I would guess under the AC someplace as close to the receiver to avoid single loss as much as possible without interfering with under fuse mounted comm antennas..

Dean Pichon
09-30-2015, 05:08 PM
Has anyone tried this with Anywhere Map on an Android system?

Tony Kirk
10-03-2015, 10:07 PM
I have not tried Anywhere Map but it works with Avare and Fltplan.com apps, which are both free.

moll780
10-06-2015, 03:52 PM
so, has anyone gotten Avare to work with this?

I have not tried Anywhere Map but it works with Avare and Fltplan.com apps, which are both free.

humptybump
10-06-2015, 06:31 PM
so, has anyone gotten Avare to work with this?

I've been testing with Avare. I'm not flient with the App (as I use Garmin Pilot App). It connects and provides weather and traffic as expected.

moll780
10-06-2015, 08:04 PM
I also use garmin pilot and Im trying to figure out avare.
I installed the I/O app but Im not sure if its connected to the stratux directly or if I need to connect via the devices wifi.

I've been testing with Avare. I'm not flient with the App (as I use Garmin Pilot App). It connects and provides weather and traffic as expected.

Tony Kirk
10-06-2015, 09:31 PM
I got Avare to show stratux traffic and WX by using the following steps.

Connect your phone or tablet's Wi-Fi to the stratux Wi-Fi
In the Avare I/O app choose Wi-Fi as the data source
In the Avare map app choose Preferences, Display, Show ADSB Traffic
In the Avare map app choose Preferences, Weather, Use ADSB Weather

Hope this helps.

RickG
10-07-2015, 03:42 AM
Tony - which port do you have Avare set to use in the I/O helper app: 4000 or 43211?

humptybump
10-07-2015, 08:17 AM
Tony - which port do you have Avare set to use in the I/O helper app: 4000 or 43211?

I just checked my setup and it is using port 43211.

Veetail88
10-09-2015, 10:19 AM
As I'd posted a few weeks ago, I've been using AvNav EFB. I'd emailed the developer and queued him in on Stratux, and he said he'd be on it right away.

Downloaded the updated app today and Stratux shows up as one of ADSB devices for configuration.

My hardware arrives today, so I'll put it together, test and post results.

humptybump
10-09-2015, 12:46 PM
No sooner did I post "port 43211" then a new build of Stratux was released that dropped 43211 in favor of 4000.

femski
10-09-2015, 02:26 PM
AvNav EFB developer here.

We are very excited to hear about Stratux - thanks Jesse for the heads up. Stratux is now a first class citizen in Avnav EFB - we are expecting it to be running on port 4000 with "stratux" as wifi id. We may make this configurable in future.

Thank you and look for some exciting development in this area in near future.

-Sanjay

moll780
10-10-2015, 05:29 AM
I installed Avnav yesterday and will be heading up to test this morning on my way up to T67.
g

AvNav EFB developer here.

We are very excited to hear about Stratux - thanks Jesse for the heads up. Stratux is now a first class citizen in Avnav EFB - we are expecting it to be running on port 4000 with "stratux" as wifi id. We may make this configurable in future.

Thank you and look for some exciting development in this area in near future.

-Sanjay

humptybump
10-10-2015, 02:33 PM
AvNav EFB developer - we are expecting it to be running on port 4000 with "stratux" as wifi id. -Sanjay

Hi Sanjay, if you need/expect different port number or wifi ID, you may get a quick response on GitHub where the development is taking place. There is an "issues" page for development discussions, integration requirements, etc.

https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/issues

JimS
10-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Just got my pieces from Amazon and seeing the directions to down load "the" file to write to the SD card, does that mean just "one" file or the "three" files that are shown. Also to unzip before writing the file(s) is that a right click type of action? Thanks!

humptybump
10-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Download the img zip file. It's about 360mb. Then unzip it to get the 3.2gb file. That's the file to write to the micro sd card.

JimS
10-20-2015, 05:39 PM
THANKS SO MUCH!

emuyshondt
10-21-2015, 07:15 AM
Sorry if this is obvious to some, but also make sure you use the recommended utility to put the file on the card. You don't just copy it over with file explorer or finder. The utility makes the SD card a bootable drive.

moll780
10-21-2015, 07:22 AM
use Win32DiskImager
heres how to use it.
http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/win32diskimager
and
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/
download it here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

have fun!

Sorry if this is obvious to some, but also make sure you use the recommended utility to put the file on the card. You don't just copy it over with file explorer or finder. The utility makes the SD card a bootable drive.

emuyshondt
10-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Has anyone done any research into the best antenna setup for this project? It seems it should be possible to use a single antenna connected to both radio receivers.

The data sheet data sheet (https://www.linxtechnologies.com/resources/data-guides/ant-916-cw-hwr.pdf) of the SkywardTWX antenna (made by Linx Technologies) that many use shows the antenna is tuned for 916 MHz, with the SWR going up pretty quickly as the frequency increases. If this antenna works well, it should be possible to find an antenna tuned for 1GHz or so that should work for both UAT and ES application. That antenna and some variants can be purchased through DigiKey (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ANT-916-CW-HWR-SMA/ANT-916-CW-HWR-SMA-ND/1139580). I need to figure out some direction before just buying several versions of the same thing. The 1/4 wave antenna looks like it could fit with the cables I have, but I'm not sure if it will work well.

I've read of others buying tuned antennas for both 978MHz and 1090MHz. However, that might be overkill. Why not just use one antenna with a splitter?

I am going to try a few different setups, but I was wondering if anybody has tried using some of the GSM stub antennas like this Taoglass TG.22.0111 (http://www.taoglas.com/images/product_images/original_images/TG.22.0111%20Penta-Band%20Dipole%20Antenna%20250110.pdf). I just got one, but haven't had time to fly with it yet.

I intend to try a few setups.

1.) UAT reception only with the Taoglass attached to the radio using an MCX to SMA cable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP1129K) plus an SMA Female to SMA Female adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007POCWD2). The main purpose is to see how reception compares to the stock antennas that came with the radio. The Taoglass antenna is much more compact, if it works.

2.) UAT and 1090ES reception using a simple T-Adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q8KEVY). I may also try the Linx antenna with this.

3.) Try a real splitter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BQR84), using F-male to MCX-male cables (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XH33GV2) and an SMA-female to F-male adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CVTT8XI)

The latter has already shown poor performance in my office, where all I can receive is planes flying overhead with 1090MHz transmissions. The stock antennas that came with the SDR pucks seem to do better. I do receive some signals, but I get more planes and more solid reception with the original antennas.

If anybody would want to suggest other antennas, I would be willing to try them. I also intend to talk some guys i know with an EMC chamber, to see if they have any suggestions or if they can help me device a test to more objectively measure the results of various setups.

My main objective is to see if I can come up with a single antenna setup for a portable application so I can move my receiver between planes. I may also later install a dedicated transponder antenna on my own plane, but I'd still like to have one antenna to feed both the 978MHz and 109MHz receivers.

Any ideas or discussions welcome.

humptybump
10-22-2015, 04:16 PM
A single antenna is relatively straight forward. A dumb splitter from either an SMA or BNC to a pair of MCX.

The antenna should be biased to 978 since they are ground stations. You don't care about 1090 traffic at a distance. You want to know when it's close.

I'm having my best luck with a j-pole (smaller version of what a number of us use for APRS trackers).

emuyshondt
10-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Are there any commercial J-Poles tuned to 978 MHz somewhere or are they strictly DIY? When I look online, it looks like they are mostly DIY jobs that don't look all that nice. I was hoping to find a "finished" antenna that could be attached to a nice box that goes around the Pi and dongles.

Agreed on the 978 MHz vs. 1090 MHz.

I found a reference for several home-made types of ADS-B antennas here (http://www.rtl-sdr.com/adsb-aircraft-radar-with-rtl-sdr/).

humptybump
10-23-2015, 05:39 PM
The J-Poles are all DIY.

I trated three antennas today.

DIY J-Pole fabricated using twin-lead, tuned for 978
the dmurray14 978 antenna (from dmurray14 on Reddit)
a chunk of coat hanger (not exactly but darn close) - it's a length of suspended ceiling suspension wire cut to be a 978 half wave and then crammed into the end of a BNC crimp connector to lodge in the center pin; JB Weld hold it in place

my Stratux has a BNC connector that is split and feeds 2 SDRs.

performed very well at 1090 and pretty good at 978. Odd given it was built using 978 dimensions but without a $1000 antenna analyzer it's hard to be sure it meets the design specs.
did not perform well; however, I suspect some of the problem may have been an inferior SMA-BNC adapter. If my Stratux used an SMA connection natively, I would guess my results would have better. The dmurray14 antennas are all sold with SMA male fittings on the end.
was very good at 978 and lousy at 1090.

For a single SDR 978 Stratux weather receiver, the simplest and cheapest antenna worked the best.

For a dual SDR Stratux the J-Pole worked best.

My personal opinion (repeat those two words several times) is that a traffic receiver, regardless of the frequencies, is only a fraction of all traffic and without ADSB-out, they are more distraction than they are worth.

A single SDR Stratux is the most bang for the buck.
Second is the single SDR + GPS/AHRS.

Again, my opinion.

tfoster100
10-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Been looking at all the threads. Can't find out best way to turn it off. Hate just unplugging the battery. Is there a preferred approach? Had the unit running for a few weeks then it stopped working. Was wondering if the hard turn off impacted it.

Scrabo
10-25-2015, 04:03 PM
That can corrupt the SD card if the Pi was writting to it when you pulled the plug.

I use an app called WebSSH to connect to the pi and then issue a clean showdown command

NM Doug
10-25-2015, 05:08 PM
I use a similar app ($2) from the iPad: SimplePi. It can issue restart or shutdown commands to the RPi running Stratux. It works well for me, and when I try out a new build of the Stratux software, it's easy for SimplePi to connect to the new version - just allow it to delete the old security credentials and then tell it to connect again (assuming you're using the same password. The default username in the RPi is pi, and the default password is raspberry.)

Brantel
10-25-2015, 05:18 PM
I am no PI expert but since the PI has built in OI capability, could someone use that to add a switch and some code to the Stratux to let it know to shutdown clean before turning off the power?

RogerG
10-26-2015, 06:15 AM
This may be a solution.

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-78055/l/adding-a-shutdown-button-to-the-raspberry-pi-b?forceNoRedirect=true

humptybump
10-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Brian,

the topic has been circling the drain for several weeks. Once the project settles a bit, the discussion is to make the SD card read-only by default so cutting power is completely safe. At that point, if you want a power switch, it will be just that simple "switch off power".

howard4113
01-14-2016, 07:55 PM
I'm working on a serial interface that connects to the GRT EFIS using the same serial interface as the ZAON (2 wires). It also connects to the Stratux ADS-B receiver WiFi and streams the ADS-B data to the EFIS. You get everything on your panel that you would on Foreflight -- METARS, TAFS, NOTAMS, Radar and Traffic. I have completed beta testing and the unit works great.
Is there any interest in this?

Mark

David Paule
01-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Yes, there is.

I intend to use Stratux as the IN part of my RV-3B system, and have assumed it would show on an iPad. If I have the option of hardwiring it to an EFIS, that would be a good option for sure.

Keep the interface as generic as possible to make it easy for other EFIS companies to use it.

Dave

DaleB
01-15-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm working on a serial interface that connects to the GRT EFIS using the same serial interface as the ZAON (2 wires). It also connects to the Stratux ADS-B receiver WiFi and streams the ADS-B data to the EFIS. You get everything on your panel that you would on Foreflight -- METARS, TAFS, NOTAMS, Radar and Traffic. I have completed beta testing and the unit works great.

Mark
I'd be even more interested in just software to stream data directly out from a serial port from the Pi itself. Wifi to serial seems a little overkill (and another potential point of failure). Either way, though, I'd love to see a GDL-39 emulated data stream from a serial port. If you can send data in a format my Garmin 496 or its eventual replacement 696 or Aera 5xx could understand, I'd be very interested.

And check your PMs...

Noah
01-15-2016, 04:47 PM

Mark
Hi Mark- I'm very interested in an ADSB-IN solution that would feed my AFS EFIS via serial hardline input. I'm not sure if the GRT data stream is different from what the AFS EFIS requires. Navworx offers the only COTS solution available right now in their ADS-600 EXP for $1300. The EFIS is a lot easier to see in the cockpit than the IPAD. Would be cool to have the same data stream over wifi (or bluetooth?) feed the IPAD as a redundant display.

dynonsupport
01-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Noah,
AFS displays support the Dynon ADS-B IN receiver as well.

Noah
01-15-2016, 05:21 PM
Didn't know that, thanks. Any idea whether your TIS-B data stream can be used to provide audible traffic alerts, either from the AFS box (4500 in my case) or some other means? That is a requirement for me.

howard4113
01-15-2016, 09:16 PM
Yes, there is.

I intend to use Stratux as the IN part of my RV-3B system, and have assumed it would show on an iPad. If I have the option of hardwiring it to an EFIS, that would be a good option for sure.

Keep the interface as generic as possible to make it easy for other EFIS companies to use it.

Dave

Agreed on the "generic as possible". That's why I did it this way. I know I can connect with other transponders because I'm talking to the ADS-B manufacturers. I WILL be working on a Stratux direct serial out. I'm going to be working with Dynon next. Garmin does not play well with others.

howard4113
01-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Didn't know that, thanks. Any idea whether your TIS-B data stream can be used to provide audible traffic alerts, either from the AFS box (4500 in my case) or some other means? That is a requirement for me.

EFIS software compares your location and vector, compares to other traffic, and alerts. GRT does support this, and yes the ADS-B / GDL90 data is used for this purpose.

howard4113
01-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Hi Mark- I'm very interested in an ADSB-IN solution that would feed my AFS EFIS via serial hardline input. I'm not sure if the GRT data stream is different from what the AFS EFIS requires. Navworx offers the only COTS solution available right now in their ADS-600 EXP for $1300. The EFIS is a lot easier to see in the cockpit than the IPAD. Would be cool to have the same data stream over wifi (or bluetooth?) feed the IPAD as a redundant display.

Does your EFIS take GDL90 data over the serial input? Pretty sure the Navworx outputs that format. Most serial-equipped receivers do. If you're buying an out system anyway, I'd go that route. My interface is for those who have no out capability or are out-capable but no serial link - only wireless.

lr172
01-15-2016, 10:14 PM

Mark

Do you believe this will work for Garmin x96 series portables? It was my understanding that the Zaon would drive traffic input for the 396/496. Not sure if they had multiple protocols, but I would doubt it. I would LOVE to have this capability and happy to help beta test for you.

Larry

Noah
01-16-2016, 07:28 AM
EFIS software compares your location and vector, compares to other traffic, and alerts. GRT does support this, and yes the ADS-B / GDL90 data is used for this purpose.
I only ask this question because I don't believe that the AFS 4500 provides audible traffic alerts. I have a GTX-330 mode S transponder, and I believe that outputs audible traffic alerts directly - as well as sending traffic to the EFIS (for display only). Just trying to understand if it is going to be possible to keep audible traffic alerts with the addition of a serial ADSB-IN serial data stream to my current EFIS and I don't think it is.

Noah
01-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Does your EFIS take GDL90 data over the serial input? Pretty sure the Navworx outputs that format. Most serial-equipped receivers do. If you're buying an out system anyway, I'd go that route. My interface is for those who have no out capability or are out-capable but no serial link - only wireless.

I'm pretty sure upgrading my GTX-330 to add ES will be my cheapest option for achieving ADS-B "OUT" capability. That leaves the question as to what to do for "IN" capability.

I don't think the AFS4500 will take GDL90 data via serial input (at least the manual doesn't say it does). I think traffic must be ICARUS protocol per their manual. Compatible receivers include the Navworx ADS-600 EXP for $1299 (RS-232, 57.6 k baud) & Dynon SV-ADSB-470 for $995. I believe that both are UAT only (978 MHz) receivers.

A Stratux which adds a serial hardline to my EFIS might be a nice alternative.

Chkaharyer99
01-16-2016, 01:32 PM
I'm pretty sure upgrading my GTX-330 to add ES will be my cheapest option for achieving ADS-B "OUT" capability. That leaves the question as to what to do for "IN" capability.

I don't think the AFS4500 will take GDL90 data via serial input (at least the manual doesn't say it does). I think traffic must be ICARUS protocol per their manual. Compatible receivers include the Navworx ADS-600 EXP for $1299 (RS-232, 57.6 k baud) & Dynon SV-ADSB-470 for $995. I believe that both are UAT only (978 MHz) receivers.

A Stratux which adds a serial hardline to my EFIS might be a nice alternative.

The Navwporx ADS-600 EXP has an option to add 1030 ES hardware/software.

From the Navworx site:

Navworx ADS-600 EXP

http://www.navworx.com/products-ADS600-EXP.php

Options:
1. 1090ES Receiver - This is both a hardware and software option. If ordering the option, 1090ES receiver hardware will be installed. A future software update (free) will enable the feature at a later date.

http://www.navworx.com/navworx_store/Experimental_Aircraft_Transceivers/ADS600_EXP.html

Cost to add 1030 ES

DUAL RECEIVER:

1090ES RECEIVER ADD-IN (Add $89.00)

I have the same AFS 4500 EFIS with a Garmin 327. Was thinking about adding the Navworx after Jesse chimed in.

Scrabo
01-29-2016, 06:03 PM
New release candidate for Stratux published

https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/tree/v0.6r1

Pdtofly
02-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Any new update on the Raspberry Pi Stratux? Looking at putting all my parts together. Is there a newer ISO file out there than the Aug 2015 one to download?

Thanks for your input.

Brian

Scrabo
02-15-2016, 10:40 PM
Any new update on the Raspberry Pi Stratux? Looking at putting all my parts together. Is there a newer ISO file out there than the Aug 2015 one to download?

Thanks for your input.

Brian

https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/releases/tag/v0.6r1

humptybump
02-16-2016, 04:31 AM
Yeah, 0.6r1 has a lot of improvements and bug fixes.

I also just saw a code submission to Stratux that will make all future updates easier. It looks like the project will soon release an "update capability" which won't require a whole new image. I'll be watching for it.

petehowell
02-16-2016, 06:18 AM
Kudos to Glen and Scrabo for some great work on Stratux. If there are others here at VAF I have missed - thanks to you as well.

Stratux is a cheap and effective way to get traffic and WX in the cockpit - and if you are not careful, you might learn something and have some fun building it.

Pair it with the free app Avare, and you can't get more bang for your buck.

Thanks Guys!

Pdtofly
02-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Thanks. Will download the new IMG file when I get home Friday.

Anyone know of a source for a cheap USB GPS that can plug into the Pi for position.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

638RS
02-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Try a USGLOBALSAT BU353-S4 USG SIRFIV USB GPS RECEIVER

Available at Walmart ~ $50.00

John Owen
02-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Thanks. Will download the new IMG file when I get home Friday.

Anyone know of a source for a cheap USB GPS that can plug into the Pi for position.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I have a friend that has this one and said that it works well with his Stratux.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWEEWW8/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

My parts just arrived today so I have a project to do!!

John
RV-8

Pdtofly
02-16-2016, 02:49 PM
John,

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I have the GPS with ADHARS but looking for a simple GPS.

Brian

humptybump
02-16-2016, 03:25 PM
I've put together a couple "Stratux" with that USB GPS. I'd suggest watching the price. It seems to fluctuate regularly. I picked up my first one for $15 and then a couple more when the price bounced down to $12.

okei
02-17-2016, 10:41 AM
I've put together a couple "Stratux" with that USB GPS. I'd suggest watching the price. It seems to fluctuate regularly. I picked up my first one for $15 and then a couple more when the price bounced down to $12.

They've got them on eBay now for $13.50, free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIYMALL-Vk-172-Gmouse-G-mouse-Usb-Gps-glonass-Ublox-Windows-10-8-7-vista-xp-/271626061593

Pdtofly
02-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Free shipping from China like the eBay ones, and the cost is $9.90 each.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VK-172-GMOUSE-USB-GPS-GLONASS-USB/32222460342.html#!

Getting cheaper.

Brian