What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 wing bolts

lhawkins

I am currently working on an older RV-3 kit that was worked on by at least two other builders the wings are complete except for the top skin. I am working on the fuselage and wanted to make sure the wing attach bolts and splice plates would all line up ok. After much head scratching and looking through old drawings Mike and I figured out that it was drilled for Taper pins. Any of you RV-3 experts out there (Randy) have any words of wisdom. Is this still a satisfactory way to build? Any comments and or advice is very much appreciated.

First off, good job in checking this critical joint in advance. I'm not familiar with "taper pins" ever being used for a wing joint but it certainly sounds non-standard. If you could drill/ream them out to the size bolts called out in the plans that is what I'd do. If they are already too big at one end from the taper pins then I'd call Van's. Structurally, I'm pretty sure that joint relies on the compression generated by the bolts clamping down with the splice plates to give it strength in shear. Seems like taper pins would load things differently and that is not a joint you want to be experimenting with.

I know very little about the RV-3, but generally in the Aircraft production world, tapered fasteners (or Taper-Loks) are generally regarded as tough to install due to the bearing area required. They are strong but not used much anymore. What sort of fastener is called out for on the drawing? -- Les

RV-3 Taper Pin Joints

All of the early RV-3s with the 1/8" spar flange laminations that I have seen (including one that I own) used taper pins for the splice plate/ center section joint. I assumed that Van switched to bolts around the time of the 3/16" flange (RV-3A) changes.

You can always identify the builders of the early Taper Pin Threes because they still have a huge right forearm as a result of turning those reamers.

Hawkeye Hughes
Skyote, RV-3

RV3 wing bolts

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate you guys.
The plans just said taper pins and I found them with all the rest of the hardware, they seem to fit just fine but after reading your comments, I think I will call Van's and get more information.

Randy, If I drill them out I will have to go to a AN-6 bolt as that is the largest part of the existing holes.

When I get time to call Van's I will post their reply also.

Thanks again

Larry

Thanks Alex
This info helps a lot. I was able to buy the reamer from a local tool supply. I think I am on the right track. Everything fits fine but I am in the process of building a new forward F-303 bulkead and need the reamer to make the holes the right size.

Thanks again

Larry

taper pins

In. The early. 20page builders. Manual. Van recommended the use of taper pins at the wing splice. Joint and for the landing gear to mount attach bolts because of their assured tight fit. And on the gear if you had to make small adjustments along the was you could simply. Make the adjustment and ream the hole a little more.

Back