What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Power Wire Hookup Question

Capflyer

Well Known Member
I am in the process of wiring up my Infinity grips along with the relay board, servos and LED indicators. I have 4 - 12V+ wires all going to the same circuit breaker (Trim). What is the best way to combine and hook them up to one wire that goes to the circuit breaker on the panel? It seems overkill to run all four wires seperately from under the seat to the breaker.

The 4 power wires are one from each servo (elev & aileron trims) and one from each of the indicators that are mounted on my center console.

Anyone have pictures?

Thanks

Mike:

If using the same CB, then run 1 power wire through the spar and split at the trim board. Crimp or solder lap splice a jumper wire at the board end so you can connect to both 12v relay feeds. I ran 22AWG wires but my trims are segretated to individual CBs. I don't believe the infinity coolie hat will accommodate powering roll and pitch trim simultaneously so 22 AWG is sufficient to power 1 servo at a time.

The LED indicator requires 3 direct wires from the servo to the indicator. The indicator power feed stops at the indicator on the panel. Both indicators can come off the CB using the same techniques as under the floor.

Two 22AWG wires will nicely fit into a red terminal.

An alternative would be to run 1 wire back to a terminal board with the 2 feeds comming of jumpered terminals from your terminal board.

Lastly, 1 wire to the back with the 2 feeds comming off a stud.

Here are some examples on ganging wires from Bob Nuckolls:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/multiplewires/multiplewires.html
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Solder_Lap_Splicing/Solder_Lap_Splices.html

I put stick selector relays under my floor near the trim/flap relay board. I used a combination of solder lap splices and 2-into-1 terminal ends (faston and ring terminal as needed by the relays and boards)

I do solder lap joints in the middle of wires, not just at the ends. In this way, I split the feed into 2 wires.

Are you using the infinity trim/flap board?

Jekyll

Last edited:
Thank You

Thanks Jekyll, this is exactly what I was looking for. I keep forgetting about Bob Knuckles site.

I am using the trim relay board. What wires go where was intimidating at first but after some study of all the various diagrams and schematics it all makes sense. Lots of wires with the Infinity grips.

Capflyer said:
Lots of wires with the Infinity grips.

Yep, especially if you put grip selector relays under the floor. I spent considerable time drawing schematics and planning the wiring. I must have put in at least 50 hours drawing, redrawing, planning and testing. Wire labels are a neccessity under there!

I didn't want to run the large infinity cables up to the panel for a selector switch. I opted to put 2 relays under the floor so I could select which grip is active. I isolate the starter, trim and flaps (1 relay for trim and flaps) from the c/p grip unless that grip is selected by the remote switch. I also have a relay under the floor for the landing light. I chose to put the light switch on the grip so I could turn on the light without glancing away from traffic when it is a small speck and therefore easy to loose. The light draws too many amps for the grip switch so that must be relay activated.

The relays default to the pilot grip without power.

Jekyll

Back