What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Relocating to Boise, ID?

RV8N

Well Known Member
I have an interview in Boise this week and am looking for opinions on the area. I know there is an RV contingent that goes into the back-country but haven't heard too much about the populated areas of Idaho.

My wife grew up in Bozeman and is dying to get back to Montana. I have been twice (winter and summer) and absolutely love it there. I feel like John Dunbar in Dances with Wolves. I feel like I've found my place in life. Unfortunately Montana doesn't have an abundance of jobs (Mechanical Engineer) and we have been looking in Idaho also.

For those of you that have visited or lived in Boise and some western Montana cities (Missoula, Bozeman, Helena, Kalispell), can you give me your opinion of the differences and similarities.

If anyone lives in the Boise area, I'm also interested in hanger space, I prefer uncontrolled airfields.

Thanks for all input, Karl

Last edited:
I flew a Citabria into Boise and stayed a couple of days visiting an old high school buddy. I was extremely impressed with Nampa Municipal Airport (S67). I also stopped at Caldwell, but it seemed more industrial than GA. Never having been to Idaho before, I was amazed how nice it is up there. It does seem like they are starting to have traffic issues there though.

Here are some photos I took:
http://www.pilotbill.com/OregonTrail/Pocatello-Boise/Pocatello-Boise-15Jun06.html
http://www.pilotbill.com/OregonTrail/Boise/Boise_16Jun06.html
http://www.pilotbill.com/OregonTrail/Boise_OwyheeResevoir/OwyheeResevoir-17Jun06.html

Last edited:
RV8N said:
If anyone lives in the Boise area, I'm also interested in hanger space, I prefer uncontrolled airfields.
Karl,

I live on the west end of the Treasure Valley on the Oregon border so I keep my plane at the Ontario, OR airport. Nampa or Caldwell would be a good choice for you if you're going to live in Boise. They are building new hangars at both of those airports and both also have a pretty active experimental crowd.

If you're going to work in Boise, but live west, you will have a commute problem. They do have traffic problems as Bill pointed out.

Boise is awesome

I grew up in Idaho and I can't wait to get back there. I live in North Carolina right now (I'm in the Air Force). I've taken 2 trips cross-country to Idaho since I've finished my RV-6 and it is an absolutely fabulous place to fly. There are several airports to choose from, and if you're careful about it, you can find a place to live that is close to the airport and isn't too far to drive, either (relatively speaking). The Treasure Valley is growing like crazy, so they will have the same kind of growing pains that any city will have. If you like Bozeman, I think you'll love Idaho. Just get out of the "city", such as it is, and you can easily find places that are similar to Montana - and still have all the city conveniences in Boise.

Calwell has a huge experimental group. Stopped there last summer for lunch(excellant grub) and met Ed McGinty and his RV10 N770BD, what a beauty! This plane is responsible for swaying my wife towards the RV world. Ed's 325hp Rocket was none too shabby either, as was his SmithCub. Another Rocket was taxiing out, also. Lots of brand new hangers going up.

Not sure about job market.

Landscape is different than Bozeman or any of your Montana choices. Flatter and more high desert, but mountains are close by.

Good luck in your search.

Karl,

We considered all around the northwest and settled on Boise. Been here nine years since SoCal and won't leave. BOI keeps popping up on various best places to live, raise kids, bike, etc.; it's been discovered.

Idaho is a VERY aviation friendly state, with effective activist orgs (Idaho Aviation Association), and the state government is fully supportive. Can't go wrong. Annual reg fee, no property tax, is $.01/lb gross weight, ergo RV's are ~$18 to register. Many more interesting back country strips (most not RV-able, unless yours is a beater) than MT, but what the hey, they're neighbors.

Southwest Idaho wx year round is more benign than MT, especially winter.

I'll have a 37x40 hangar at Caldwell (KEUL) for rent this January.

Regional growth is causing traffic problems - compared to the farming culture of 20 years ago. Don't be stupid and buy a sleezy, cheap, crackbox to the west of the valley and lock yourself into a long, snarled commute to the east side of Boise. If you're coming from anywhere along I-5, -25, or -95, you can buy a nice house in Boise for what's little more than a down payment there.

Nampa and Caldwell airports have their different cultures. Both are uncontrolled and strictly GA. Caldwell has a huge experimental community (the whole region, actually).

Private message me if you want more info or a place to hole up, talk RV, fly RV, meet the gang, etc. Best wishes on the interview.

John Siebold

I want to thank everyone for their replies and information. I leave tomorrow morning but please keep the replies coming if there's any additional info.

John, check your private messages.

Karl

Hi Karl,

I think John Seibold summed it up pretty well. My wife and I relocated here 14 years ago from SoCal, and coming from a major metropolis I was awed by the open spaces and all of the great flying available here.

I've really noticed a major increase in traffic here in the last 3 years. There has been a major influx of people and the local highway district has really dropped the ball - however, that's a story for another time.

I love the area, and I also operate out of Caldwell. It's still fairly rural, offers easy in/out, cheap fuel, and a good cafe. I have space available in my hangar if you're interested.

It looks like you're already on the way, but I'll PM you with contact info if you'd like to get together or chat while you're here. I'm in the next row of hangars from John, hopefully we can meet up this week.

Ed Bundy

Back