What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lake Whitney (TX)?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Has anybody flown in to Lake Whitney State Park recently to go camping? I have seen it in the State Park guide for years, and wondered if the runway is any good, and if you can really camp next to your plane - I'm thinking of spending Friday night there.

Paul

We regularly go to family reunions at Whitney each October, and I can tell you that the current runway is tiny. Anything larger than a 152 is going to find the landing difficult. There is a discontinued runway there that is about twice as long, but because this is a state park, they didn't have the funds to keep it open. My uncle had been flying there for years, but hasn't since they shortened the runway. It's kind of funny watching planes circle the runway 4 or 5 times and then finally making the decision that they just can't make it and head to Waco instead.

Is there a clear approach? 2000ft seems fairly reasonable if the runway is level and smooth. I've flown my 6A into O44 (2100ft turf) and I'd rate my piloting skills as average at best.

Last edited:
Lake Whitney

Paul,

I flew there one day in a C150 (several years ago). Two of us pretty close to gross weight had no trouble getting in or out of there.
An RV-8 would have no trouble taking off. The last time I checked I believe it was 2000' paved. The "old" east/west runway was in very poor condition with weeds poking through. Unless they have mowed them it would be a real pain maneuvering thru them to the tie-down area at the west end of the field.
Facilities are next to nothing. There is a campground across the park road.

The approach is clear enough, although there are some 15 - 20 ft trees around. No phone or power lines. I walked the old runway last month, and it's now nothing more than gravel with 2 ft grass all over the place. Also, watch out for deer. There is a large group of about a dozen or so that call the nearby trees home.

Thanks for the quick response!

Thanks guys - it sounds like an interesting place to try - primitive is actually what I like in camping (although I do like runways without great gaping holes and the like), and I talked to a nice lady there on the phone and found out that camping with your plane is only $6 a night - the best deal around!

2000' with trees - sounds like the strips I used to use growing up in Minnesota!

If the weather cooperates, I think I might give it a try on friday....assuming the big P-49 isn't in effect...

Paul

Paul, I have flown in and out several times. There is a slight rise in the center but you should have no problems. The runway is very coarse and you shouldn't get on the brakes that hard or you could damage your tires. It is asphalt but it has aged making it abrasive. It's a nice place and I had no problems in or out with 2 adults and two children.

Recently a buddy went there and a guy was mowing. He said they are trying to get it closed because they fly RC there. Might want to circle to make sure no RC's are up.

Enjoy. Also you should look up Pettit Jean state park in Arkansas. It is BEAUTIFUL and I'm told you can taxi up to your campsite.

Lake Whitney

I landed at lake Whitney in 1965 in a Cessna 170 with 4 souls on board. I cant recall the runway length, but it was grass, well kept, and narrow with trees on both sides. They had parking, and you could walk to the beach from the strip. A very beautiful weekend retreat from Dallas, I flew there several times in 1965 from Redbird airport in south Dallas. Its just 2 bad you cant roll back the clock the way it was in 1965. :( Sorry I cant help you with a current assesment. It was really nice back then. :) Another good weekend retreat from Dallas that I flew into is Lake Texoma. It had a paved runway.

Last edited:
Paul,
If you come up to Whitney would you mind if I drive up to get a look at Valkyrie in person? I live in Gatesville which is not to far from there and If you don't mind a visitor I would like to try to find the time to stop by. I also understand that this is a break for you and completely understand if you would prefer no visitors.
Thanks in advance and have a safe trip.

Justin - no problem. I am planning on getting up there in the mid-afternoon Friday. Always willing to talk airplanes with people!

Paul

Thats good to hear. Could you send a pm to me with your cell # so that I may call before I head out to make sure that you are there?
Thanks again and I look forward to seeing your beautiful plane.

Back