What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elementary match-drilling question...

mdredmond

Well Known Member
I hope this is in the right place... There are two questions here.

I've got my HS all clecoed together and need to match-drill the ribs and spars. In the places where there is both a main rib and nose rib, I don't have clearance to drill through the nose rib, the spar and the main rib all at once. I need to pull the nose rib off, drill the main rib to the spar, then drill the nose rib to the spar in a second step. The issue I see is that I risk 'wallowing out' the hole in the spar by running thorugh it twice. What is the correct way to do this? A right-angle attachment won't give me the clearance either, and a long drill bit will only help me on one hole per rib (there are three).

Second question...

The gentleman I bought my kit from has already alodined and primed these parts - before match drilling, countersinking or dimpling. Would it be advisable, after match drilling and countersinking the holes on the spar flanges, to alodine and prime the newly exposed bare aluminum in the holes - or is this overkill?

Thanks!

Can you get clecos in to hold the parts together? If the holes are already prepunched in the parts and they line up OK, I would just drill or ream to enlarge the hole in each part separately. Are the holes all there or do you have to make some of your own? And yes, I think to try to re-alodine every hole would be overkill.

I think you are thinking too hard about it.

Last edited:
Yes, they cleco together just fine. There is no discernible (to my eyes) mismatch of the holes.

I'm too new at this I guess. I'm not yet at the 'just drill it and don't look back' stage.

Another acceptable method is to slightly straighten the nose rib flange. This will get the rib out of the way to drill. Then bend it back.

Back