What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Water Spots

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi Guys
Is there a trick way of removing water spots from my canopy?
I have tried denatured alcohol, Meguiars plastic polish, with out
any success. :(

Pledge

I have great results with Pledge furniture polish, helps the bugs come off too, this is on a c-185, so could be different????
greg

Plexi clear

I inherited a couple of cans of Plexi-Clear from a hangar neighbor who sold his plane. Seems to work well. I've even used it to clean bugs off the leading edges. Aircraft $pruce sells it.

Mannan Thomason
RV-8 N161RL
IO-360 McCauley Prop

Datton,
I had spots on my canopy and removed them with Meguiars Swirl remover. I got the tip from another builder who had spots on some other A/C and it worked great for them also.

gstone said:
I have great results with Pledge furniture polish, helps the bugs come off too, this is on a c-185, so could be different????
greg
I have also used Pledge furniture polish for years on sailplane canopies. Periodically, I'll try the latest greatest aircraft plexi cleaner, but nothing has ever worked as well as Pledge. It cleans the surface and fills and hides the micro scratches, leaving a clearer canpoy than anything else.

Try it. It's readily available and cheaper than the specialty cleaners. I use the spray can variety....Lemon scented.

Spots

call me crazy... but I'd swear that someone said vinegar removed spots.... it should be ok as long as there is no ammonia...
Brian

Lemon Pledge

Dave Cole said:
I have also used Pledge furniture polish for years on sailplane canopies. Periodically, I'll try the latest greatest aircraft plexi cleaner, but nothing has ever worked as well as Pledge. It cleans the surface and fills and hides the micro scratches, leaving a clearer canopy than anything else.

Try it. It's readily available and cheaper than the specialty cleaners. I use the spray can variety....Lemon scented.

And the Lemon Pledge stuff also will keep field mice out of your sailplane (or RV) trailer. Just spray the inside corners.

Learnt that at Truckee, CA after finding a dead mouse under seat cushion after only one night tied down.... :) Locals said it had to be the lemon variety.

gil in Tucson - preferring to kill our local pack rats....

Paint Overspray!

Hi Guys
What I thought was water spots turns out to be paint over spray :eek:
Is there any way to remove over spray from plexi glass?

That's the Spirit!

Dayton, Mineral Spirits work great, won't hurt the plexi and won't hurt paint either. I use it for cleaning the belly as well. The spirits leave a shiny greasy film that comes off easily with soapy water. Good Luck!

RR

Overoverspray

YES!!! I've had great luck removing overspray on an aircraft windshield by using the Wal-Mart scratch remover for cars... It's in a yellow bottle... and is advertised as a scratch remover.... Works Great!!! It's less than 2 bucks.
Brian

Back