What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B equipment question for someone

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
The question is about the value of dual band receivers in an aircraft that has ADSB In and OUT receiving on the UAT .
For someone who has only ADSB IN service, I understand that the 1090 band gives them the ability to see directly the other XponderES equipped plane without getting that same info from ground broadcast.( Otherwise they might not get, having IN only). For someone who has ADSB In and OUT installed and is receiving on the UAT or 978 band, Would not that same aircraft with the xponder ES show up on his traffic broadcast from the ground station?
My question is : Would someone with a full operation UAT system( IN & OUT) need or have any value from a dual band receiver. What raised this was I notice the NavWorX ADS600-EXP offers an option for the 1090 (dual band). Looks like an order at present would include only hardware with software to follow later. Just questioning the value of that option. However, There's still a lot I don't understand about this at the present, but for now just one question at a time.

For someone who has ADSB In and OUT installed and is receiving on the UAT or 978 band, Would not that same aircraft with the xponder ES show up on his traffic broadcast from the ground station?

Correct. The ground station would see your "receive capability band", or whatever that's officially called, as 978, and relay that 1090ES traffic info in the 978 packet to you.

Would someone with a full operation UAT system( IN & OUT) need or have any value from a dual band receiver.

Dual-band receiver? Highly doubtful, at least IMHO. Much more useful to have a dual-band tranceiver, or just go with 1090ES as the OUT. Remember, 978 UAT is US-Only. Everywhere else - Canada in particular - is 1090ES.

My question is : Would someone with a full operation UAT system( IN & OUT) need or have any value from a dual band receiver.

If you only fly in the US and stay below FL180 then the simple answer is no, a 978UAT IN & OUT system is all you require. IMHO the best option, albeit not the cheapest, is a 1090ES OUT and a 978 UAT IN system.

:cool:

The question is about the value of dual band receivers in an aircraft that has ADSB In and OUT receiving on the UAT .
For someone who has only ADSB IN service, I understand that the 1090 band gives them the ability to see directly the other XponderES equipped plane without getting that same info from ground broadcast.( Otherwise they might not get, having IN only). For someone who has ADSB In and OUT installed and is receiving on the UAT or 978 band, Would not that same aircraft with the xponder ES show up on his traffic broadcast from the ground station?
My question is : Would someone with a full operation UAT system( IN & OUT) need or have any value from a dual band receiver. What raised this was I notice the NavWorX ADS600-EXP offers an option for the 1090 (dual band). Looks like an order at present would include only hardware with software to follow later. Just questioning the value of that option. However, There's still a lot I don't understand about this at the present, but for now just one question at a time.

Hello Dennis,

This is a good question, and one that I am surprised isn't asked more often.

Good or bad, the U.S. is a dual frequency country with some ADS-B Out aircraft transmitting on 978 and some on 1090.

Using a TIS-B datalink from a ground station as a crutch to enable us to see Mode C traffic as an interim solution until "everyone" is ADS-B Out is fine, but you sure don't want to invest in an ADS-B receiver that isn't dual frequency for both types of ADS-B Out transmitters and have to rely on ground stations to complete your traffic picture (with ADS-R) forever.

Think about it. If you have a single frequency 978 Mhz receiver, you could be flying straight at a 1090ES aircraft at your altitude a short distance away and not be able to see it without getting help from a ground station.

My home airport is fairly close to an ADS-B ground station (17 nm), but by the time I get down to traffic pattern altitude approaching the airport, I have lost line-of-sight to the ground station and am on my own to see both 978 Mhz and 1090 Mhz transmitting aircraft in the pattern and approaching the airport.

Of course this isn't a problem for the dual frequency GDL39 receiver that I fly with and it works well to directly see all ADS-B Out traffic no matter where you are flying.

Thanks,
Steve

ADS-B IN/OUT??

Garmin Expert Steve..

I have installed in my RV-4 a G-796 with a GDL-39 3D so what does it make me ADS-B Out or ADS-B In compliant ??

I have a GTX-327 as a TXPR..

Also will I get traffic & Weather when I fly in the US on my way to Oshkosh or do I need a different TXPR?

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Garmin Expert Steve..

I have installed in my RV-4 a G-796 with a GDL-39 3D so what does it make me ADS-B Out or ADS-B In compliant ??

Also will I get traffic & Weather when I fly in the US on my way to Oshkosh or do I need a different TXPR?

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

You have a receiver only, or ADSB-in. Since there are no standards for adsb-in nor is it required, 'compliant' does not apply. You will get weather, and some but no where near all, traffic.
You have no ADSB-out equipment (796 not qualified for position source).

Garmin Expert Steve..

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]
Hello Bruno,

You are quite nicely equipped when it comes to receiving free ADS-B traffic and weather and can display the following:

1. All traffic transmitting ADS-B Out on 1090 Mhz
2. All traffic transmitting ADS-B Out on 978 Mhz
3. FIS-B weather

Your 796/GDL39 will receive and display this information regardless of what transponder you may or may not have.

Since you aren't transmitting ADS-B Out, the ADS-B ground stations won't be providing you with TIS-B services, which means you won't see the Mode C transponder equipped aircraft like yours unless you are flying close to an aircraft that is receiving these services.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Back