What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Today 'Off Topic"

Neil Rob

Nice to see the South Island of New Zealand featuring at the start of the superb Orbit 2015 video.
I live in Invercargill it is on the Southern coast and located about one third up that area shown.
I have today dug a drainage pipeline ( with spade!) across my just grassed 1500 ft airstrip at 46,20-37 S. and 168,37, 50 E.
One new RV-7 flying, locally owned.

Neil Robertson
Slow build RV-3
S/n 11465 under construction

The fastest Indian

Neil
Many of us who love airplanes also love motorcycles.
Invercargill became well known over here by one of your past residents the late Burt Munro famous for the worlds fastest Indian (great movie).
Would love to give your new strip a try but it would be a pretty good stretch to get there ;). Best of luck with your project.

Ryan

I looked on google earth and didn't see your landing strip. What I did see was a ton of race tracks where you live. Holy smokes, I can't believe how many oval tracks there! Are they bikes, car, or horses?

Worlds fastest Indian.

I knew old Burt- we used to invite him to the car clubs flying miles the 500 Velocette would pull 132 mph with parts that he spent all week making.
I have three lathes- two came from a workshop that he frequented in the town.
While staff were having morning tea at 10 - Burt would take the workers parts out of the lathe and put his in. Frustrating when it was a large item and set up in its only four jaw chuck. The other machine - a capstan was used in war time for making hand grenades!
The film was done locally and Sir Anthony Hopkins played the part very well, he enjoyed being in our town for the filming.
E Hayes- a large hardware and tool shop has 25 bikes on permanent display many of them famous British models plus all of Burt's blown up engine bits
I realise this is still 'Off Topic' but it has surprised me with the world wide interest that the film created.
The Indian reached 208 mph but the tire expanded and began to rub on the fork brace! There is an interesting book of pictures printed.
Neil Robertson
Invercargill

Airstrip Co-ordinates New Zealand

Try 502 Railway Road Dacre New Zealand
It shows up on the update of the 2013 google earth version, work has been carried out since that year.
Its tough down here - got to build my plane from scratch , and then put in my own airstrip!
Thanks for the interest and to members of this great forum. Come and have a trip /look at NZ.
Neil R.

Back