What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attn: Electricians (Band Saw Speed)

txaviator

Well Known Member
Greetings.

I posted this same question within another thread awhile back, and wanted to see if there were any more suggestions (from the people who may not have seen my other post).

Here's my dilemma: I bought a small Ryobi band saw from Home Depot a few months ago. One of the $99 versions, about like the Delta's that people mention. The problem is that it does NOT have variable speed, and let me tell you: that blade is cruising!

I need to slow it down. Does anyone know of a way to wire in a variable speed device? Something similar to a light switch dimmer? I think the question at hand, is if the motor will burn up if I do this? Someone replied earlier that Home Depot had some sort of a fancy "exhaust fan variable speed control" that may work. When I asked at Home Depot and Lowes, they had no idea what I was talking about.

I wired my entire home myself, and feel fairly knowledgable about 110/220. However, when it comes to things like this (out of the ordinary), I like to ask questions before I burn up a brand new tool.

Any suggestions? Thanks! :confused:

Variable AC speed controls aren't cheap, but I'm not much of an electrcian either. Aluminum can be cut at higher speeds using bi-metal bandsaw blades. How fast is the blade running in feet per minute? -- Les

Maybe this was already mentioned, but you don't need to slow down the speed. Just find a metal cutting blade. Aluminum is pretty soft, and I've had no trouble cutting sheet, angle, and bar on my $99 Delta band saw. Just don't ever get tempted to try steel. I tried to cut one little steel thing and completely ruined the blade.

I can confirm Davepar's comments. I have a $99 Delta and changed to a metal cutting blade. Works great for non-ferris material (copper & aluminum). But don't even try to cut steel. I'd also caution using on fiberglass. I tried it and it think it also dulled the blade. You should probably purchase two of them at once. They are pretty cheap and it's never a convenient time when it needs replaced. I firmly believe a band saw is must for some of the parts requiring fabrication, but a cheap one will certainly be adequate.

Good luck!

Yes, I am running metal-cutting blades. I had them made at a local shop for $5.00 each. If memory serves me, I am running 14tpi and I also got some 16tpi blades. The saw just screams! I was thinking that a slower balde rotation speed may be the ticket? I am not having any trouble cutting aluminum, I just think I would have more control and a better cut if I could slow things down.

BTW, on the Delta's...do they have variable speed control, or just one, haulin'-a** speed?

Thanks.

OK, I am a real electrician... but... what you want to do is experimental.

Honestly what I would do is return the Ryobi and get the Delta.

If you DO want to experiment, (this is a listed, UL tested and approved tool) try a CEILING FAN speed control. Theoretically, it SHOULD work.

If you give it a whirl, unplug it ALWAYS when not in use. Please tell me if it works and/or what color the smoke was.

Disclaimer: I am telling you NOT to do this!

:D

Good luck!

:) CJ

Back