What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS v. separate units

grover

Well Known Member
am debating a GNS-430, or separate comm, nav, gps and display of some sort. GNS looks like less work and similar $$$. thoughts?

Don't you like the 430 in the Tiger? I would take it over the others! Are you taking the Tiger this weekend? You need to take a ride in Robby Knox's 8, he keeps it in Sylvania.

Out of town this weekend

Guys:

Rides next weekend. Going to Bob's electrical seminar at BMI. James I have the fairing out for you. Todd I still have your bag from LOE. Give me a call.

430 cheapest

grover said:
am debating a GNS-430, or separate comm, nav, gps and display of some sort. GNS looks like less work and similar $$$. thoughts?

If you want an IFR GPS, the 430 route is definately cheapest, at least if you're talking new equipment. I thought I did at the time, so I've got a 430.

If you can give up on-screen approach charts, a handheld GPS with an SL30 nav/com is the way to go. The 296/396/496's are actually better GPS's than the 430, and you can take it home with you to program your trip. The difference in price would pay for about 5 years worth of weather subscription. By the way, the map subscription required to actually use a 430 as an IFR GPS costs about a grand a year, last time I checked.

Personally, I'd rather have weather in the cockpit than a controller in my ear.

I agree with Jon that the 430 is a great way to go (maybe not for everyone, but it works great for me...), but the annual subscription is not a grand...the first year you DO have to buy the card burner, but after that, I think the annual subscription is closer to $350/$400....

Paul

options

yes, I'm taking the tiger. so go out and get lots of lawn fertilizer out, as it usually rains when I schedule the plane. thanks for the feedback. it seems like the 430 (I like the unit in the tiger lots) would be a nice way to reduce the time/effort to get all that functionality. . one hole to cut, one tray to mount, etc.

And get it prewired

John Stark did mine and it allows you to buy the trays and slide the 430 when you need it...I.e at the end of Phase 1...Delays some dollar flow which is always a good thing

Frank
7a

jonbakerok said:
If you can give up on-screen approach charts, a handheld GPS with an SL30 nav/com is the way to go. The 296/396/496's are actually better GPS's than the 430, and you can take it home with you to program your trip. The difference in price would pay for about 5 years worth of weather subscription. By the way, the map subscription required to actually use a 430 as an IFR GPS costs about a grand a year, last time I checked.

Personally, I'd rather have weather in the cockpit than a controller in my ear.
By "on-screen approach charts" I gather you mean IFR approach procedures in the database which is required by all IFR GPS navigators. The 430 does NOT have on-screen charts. Also, I pay $360 per year for Dual 430 Eastern US subscription per year. For a single unit it would be $180 per year.

You won't regret going with GNS-430. If you can only have one radio, it is the one radio to have.

Back