What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Info request from Classic Aero (RV-7/9)

Luke D

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help shed some light on the situation with the new fuel injection system that Van's is shipping now. It's my understanding from talking to customers that the new assembly is longer than the old one, and will no longer fit in the old sheet metal box that Van's provides (although we did have one customer that was able to make it fit).

I talked to Vans tech support, and it sounds like there is no set time frame for re-designing the box. We make a lot of sheet metal parts, and are considering making a batch of boxes that are longer. Several customers have expressed interest in this. We would try to keep the cost about the same as the Vans parts (basically at our cost) depending on quantity.

The question is how long to make the box. If anyone with the new system could measure from the front of the fuel valve box to the front of their fuel injection assembly, it would be very helpful. Any pictures of the new system would also be helpful.

Thanks for your help,
Luke D.

I've put off installing my efii fp due to this. I called months ago but no redesign reveal as of yet. My fp is not the std vans choice and can be installed in a couple configurations. I want to keep it as close to to original depth as I can but I do see it will be slightly longer than std. I'm certainly looking for options so looking forward to see how this pans out.

Pump cover

Guys: It's just a couple of pieces of .020" with simple bends. Build a custom cover in a couple of hrs max and it will fit your pump install perfectly. Satisfy that urge to build something. D-D-D-R It's what we do. (Drill-Debur-Dimple- Rivet)

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Guys: It's just a couple of pieces of .020" with simple bends. Build a custom cover in a couple of hrs max and it will fit your pump install perfectly. Satisfy that urge to build something. D-D-D-R It's what we do. (Drill-Debur-Dimple- Rivet)

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress
Sure we can, but I suspect Luke at CAD would like to help those builders who might someday want to buy CAD's carpet. Making custom carpets designed to fit every individual pump cover probably isn't very cost effective for CAD or their customers.

Last edited:
I agree they are not difficult to fabricate. There are way more difficult tasks when building the rest of the airplane, right? :)

That's actually not the main motivation for us wanting to have pre-made parts though. Vans cover has made it much more convenient for our customers, and for us when they order front carpet because the size of the box is standardized.

I was just hoping to get measurements from one or two builders who have the new pump setup before we make a batch of parts. My guess is that Vans will eventually make an updated version at some point, and then we won't have to worry about it after that.

Carlos, if you would like to discuss details, feel free to give me a call.

Does anyone else have this new pump setup? I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Edit: Steve, your post must have showed up while I was typing. You are exactly right. Don's point is very valid, but for those who are getting our carpet, it's nice to have a standard.

Last edited:
Back