What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for Atlanta area RV builders.

tvlawyer

Where can I get a piece of steel to use for back-riveting? The Depot only sells a piece about 10" square for $30 !!

Welding shops are pretty good for that for real cheap. I picked mine up from the welding shop on the north side, airport rd near astron, at KLZU for $5. They had steel plates laying all over the place.
Work in Sandy Springs, Live in Cumming.

Best,

Last edited:
tvlawyer said:
Where can I get a piece of steel to use for back-riveting? The Depot only sells a piece about 10" square for $30 !!

Try the yardstore.com.
Talk to them and explain what you want. Dimentions. If you order other stuff and add this on in the end shipping will be with it and you pay by the pound for scrap iron. Usually about 10$

Lunch in Sandy Springs

Kahuna said:
Work in Sandy Springs, Live in Cumming.

Kahuna, TVlawyer, I work in Sandy Springs too. How 'bout we pick a day and grab some BBQ for lunch. I'd love to meet you guys.

Another Atlanta builder

Count me in on the BBQ. I live in Stone Mountain, work it Tucker and am willing to commute to Sandy Springs for BBQ. Oh, and I just ordered my back riveting plate from Avery. You can borrow mine till you snag one.
Steve Ashby

Machine shop

Mornin' everybody,
Larry, I went to a local machine shop and picked up a piece of mild steel bar stock, 1/2" thick by 3" X 12" long and they quickly polished one side so that the rough finish wouldn't transfer to the rudder I was building.

I then cut a rectangular, matching hole in a piece of 2' X 4' particle board and shimmed the 1/2" bar stock up to match the 3/4" particle board's surface. This provided a big work surface to lay the controls on, supported evenly.

You can have the board and the iron if you're down this way,
Regards,

pierre smith said:
Mornin' everybody,
Larry, I went to a local machine shop and picked up a piece of mild steel bar stock, 1/2" thick by 3" X 12" long and they quickly polished one side so that the rough finish wouldn't transfer to the rudder I was building.

I then cut a rectangular, matching hole in a piece of 2' X 4' particle board and shimmed the 1/2" bar stock up to match the 3/4" particle board's surface. This provided a big work surface to lay the controls on, supported evenly.

You can have the board and the iron if you're down this way,
Regards,

I will take you up on that offer, kind sir! I will try to get a plane on Sunday afternoon and come down your way, if that's OKwith you.

Yes

Hi Larry,
I double-checked the MDF board's dimensions and they're 36" X 20 1/2" I thought that it'd fit in the baggage area of my 6A but it seems a bit tight.
Call me at 478 494 3757 (cell) upon arrival at 2J3. I live 5 minutes away, in the pattern! :D
Regards,

Lunch

tvlawyer said:
definitely!

How about Slopes BBQ (Johnson Ferry & Roswell Road) next Friday at 11:30?

The ribs are on me!

(The preceding offer is limited in scope to the following participants: Kahuna, Larry and Steve)

Call me on my cell: 678-313-7230

smithhb said:
The ribs are on me!

(The preceding offer is limited in scope to the following participants: Kahuna, Larry and Steve)

RATS!!!

I was about to book a trip to Atlanta for some Southern hospitality.

Mike

#%$#@(!!!!

Slope's is less than 2 miles from my house.

I can't do it 11/3... 10:00 AM meeting down in McDonough. How about the 10th?

I work up in Alpharetta. Count me in for Slope's. I can do any day mentioned thusfar.

Slopes

Don't know how we got from back riveting plates to BBQ... (Ha Ha, yeah I do...)

OK, to accomodate the intrepid traveler Kahuna, we will shoot for November 10th at 11:30.

Love to have you Jamie! Lets see now, how many free meal coupons do I have?

November 17th Lunch

Due to family illness, I will be OOT on Friday the 10th. How about everyone who wants to meet at Slopes BBQ plan for Friday, Nov 17th at 11:30?

We can take this off-VAF and confirm with me at [email protected]

Thanks

Reminder: Atlanta Area BBQ Lunch tomorrow

smithhb said:
How about everyone who wants to meet at Slopes BBQ plan for Friday, Nov 17th at 11:30?

I'll plan to see you guys there...

It's been a long time since we started planning this. So how about everyone chimes in on whether they're still in?

I am.

Back