What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

German visit

Hi all,
My wife and I are going to Germany during the last ten days of November. She will be visiting and cooking Thanksgiving Diner for her Air Force son and daughter-in-law. It seems that I will have plenty of free time. I would love to meet some European RVers while there. Are there any RVs at a flughafen within driving range of Ramstein Air Force Base?

P.S. Is there a better place to post this?

Hi Ron,

We are in Delft, an historical (1600AD) town in the western part of the Netherlands. Maybe a little bit too far to drive but you are most welcome to visit our project. You can also contact Simon Paul, he lives near Maastricht, much closer to Ramstein.

Things to do in Germany

I recommend the technology museum in Munich. Unbelievable (almost). Fokker Dr I hanging from the ceiling, Messerschmidts, etc. Along with things like cars from the early 1900's, the U-1 WWI submarine, etc. Ranks right up there with the Smithsonian.

There is a pretty cool military museum in Dresden as well with Eastern block armor and airplanes. Stuff you wouldn't see anywhere else. I chronicles the history of warfare from prehistory to present. Very interesting.

You should also look at some castles either along the Rhine or the Mosel rivers. My favorite is Castle Eltz http://www.mosel-valley-germany.european-vacation.net/pictures/mosel-river/fr-index9.html. Wherever you go, you will have fun.

Flight options

Ron,
My family and I lived in a little town outside Ramstein AB from '97 to 2000. We loved our assignment in Germany. I wasn't in the flying or home building commmunity then, but I seem to remember a German-American gliding club that wasn't too far from the Landstuhl/Ramstein area. They might be able to point you in the direction of some builders, but no guarantees. I'll see if I can dig up some info and forward separately. Enjoy the trip regardless. It's a beautiful country.

R.

Gary Parker

Not answering for your question but if you wish to spend some time at Sinsheim's auto & technic museum (http://www.technik-museum.de/uk/sinsheim/ 49?14'20.05"N 8?53'49.56"E) to walk-in some planes like Concorde etc... It seems that the Sinsheim is 100 km away (direct bird route) from Ramstein so it's pretty close.

To look for RV people in Germany, check out the white pages at http://www.vansairforce.net/rvwp.htm -- there are few builders/RV owners at Germany.

German builders

Hi Ron,

The organisation in Germany that deals with the homebuilding scene is called the OUV (Oskar Ursinus Vereinigung) and they have a list of all RV builders.
You can contact them at [email protected] Their secretary is Elaine Fecher who also comes from the UK so communication isn't a problem !

I am in the north of Germany so am too far from your visit area ... good luck

Sorry - no joy

Ron,
Flydjd's reply is your best bet for making contact. I couldn't find any additional info after doing my own search. Have a safe and enjoyable visit.

Gary Parker

Hi Ron,

There are some rvators not far away from Ramstein AFB...but on the French side of the boundary in Breitenbach, Kingersheim, Colmar, Hettange Grande...and many more...

Meet the French RV aircraft association at "Van's Club de France"

Feel free to ask more info... [email protected]

Enjoy your trip !

Cheers !

Back