What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doh! Messed up my Longerons, need help near Pensacola, FL

BLittleton

Last ditch effort...

I've tried everywhere from Pensacola to Mobile...and I can't find the angle to remake my longhorns. Is anyone in the area getting ready to order wings? If so, Vans can ship my longhorns in your wing box and you'll have the satisfaction of saving a buddy about $200 in shipping.

Thanks all.

Time to fess up...after making 2 beautiful bends on my longerons, I didn't pay close enough attention to the plans and notched the wrong sides of both. I need 2 new 174" bits of aluminum angle. Because they are over the accepted lengths, special shipping is in the $1-200 range for two bits of aluminum that only cost $20 ea. I've called all over my local area and can't find the proper demensions.

Vans suggested I try to find someone in my area who is ordering their wings. They could through in the extra longerons and save on the shipping.

Is there anyone near Pensacola, FL ordering their wing kit? I'd like to ask you to include in you order 2 extra longerons (for an RV-7). I'd come to you to pay/pick up.

Thanks,
Bradley Littleton

Last edited:
Hey Bradley,
I wouldn't sweat it. I also screwed one of mine up. Found a supplier local (2 mi.)
that had them for $16 ea.
I just checked and Alro Metals does not have a place near you but I am sure someone would be. You just need 6061-T6 3/4"x3/4". If I remember they come in 20' sticks.

Local Machine/Fab Shops

My suggestion is to call local machine/fab shops. They typically get materials shipped in reqularly. So you might be able to get your order through the shops.

Bradley,
Send me an email. I might be able to help you. Don't have any here, but I know where you can get some locally.

Just make sure, if you get them locally, hat they are the correct alloy and hat they have the inside radius.

Just make sure, if you get them locally, that they are the correct alloy and that they have the inside radius.

Structural angle

Unless you live in the sticks in a far away land, you will find these angles locally.

They are called structural aluminum angles whatever the plans call out for.
Structural angle has an inside radius non structural does not.
Fabricators and metal shops will have them in stock, it is not a strange size.

Give it another try.

Good luck

Back