What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternators?

DCalland

Does anyone have thoughts on whether it might be better to use Van's 60 Amp alternator or would it be better to use one with an external voltage regulator? Are the internally regulated alternators more "noisy" in the intercoms and avionics?

I used the Van's 30/35 amp with an external regulator for 5+ yrs with fair success. I switched to a Nippon (?) for an '87 Suzuki Samurai 60/65 amp internally regulated alternator in June and have been very happy. No noise and I can turn on all the electrics with no low voltage warnings.

Just a suggestion, you might want to try a search thru the archives on the subject, and more specifically, read a few posts from George (aka gmcjetpilot), he knows the subject quite well.

And though I'm not flying yet (taxi stage only), I'm using Van's 60 amp I/R, no noise that I can hear yet...

John

Last edited:
Low Pass said:
I used the Van's 30/35 amp with an external regulator for 5+ yrs with fair success. I switched to a Nippon (?) for an '87 Suzuki Samurai 60/65 amp internally regulated alternator in June and have been very happy. No noise and I can turn on all the electrics with no low voltage warnings.

Ditto on that. I have a Nippon Denso internally regulated alternator and it makes no noise - that I can hear. :)

dd

You might want to buy a copy of AeroConnection by Bob Nuckolls. It is the bible on all things electric in airplanes. www.aeroelectric.com/

He's not real high on internally-regulated alternators; also, he says that 40 amps is more than enough for most RV-size applications.

I just received my 40-amp alternator and LR3C controller (regulator, OV protection, low voltage monitoring & warning) from B&C Specialty products. It's not the most inexpensive way to go, but my RV-7 will be all-electric and I spent a little more in this particular area. www.bandc.biz We'll see how it goes.

I got an 60A

Toyota Camry alternator from Autozone for $100.

Good deal as long as it doesn't catch fire.

No noise on the audio either.

Frank

Alternators

Thanks for the input. I finally decided to go with the B & C 40 amp with the external regulator. I sense the reliability might be better and I too will be all electric. It just arrived today!

There have been several recent threads addressing the new Plane Power alternators. Vans sells the 60 amp experimental version for $375. This is constructed of all new parts, and has been designed for aircraft. It contains some hi-tech? features such as dual fans that are oriented correctly for the rotation and other considerations for operating in a high altitude environment. It comes with an internal regulator and OV protection. Looks like it will offer performance and control equal to the B&C alternator/vr combo for less than 1/2 the price. B&C has come competition in price, performance and quality now.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...9550-30-288&browse=new&product=alternator-kit

http://www.plane-power.com/

I recommend a search for some of the threads mentioning the Plane Power alternators.

I had my load plan and budget set up for a B&C alternator and VR right up until Plane Power introduced their wares. Now, I have a Plane Power 60 amp on my engine. More output, 1/2 the cost, better features and what appears to be equal quality.

Jekyll

Back