What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AUTOPILOT/DIGITRAK SERVO INSTALL PICS?

rreichelt

I'm considering installing a single axis auopilot with a servo in the fuselage or wing. Does anyone have any photos and or comments on the difficulty. I finished my RV-4 four years ago so access to the inside of the wings or fuselage my be more difficult. Thanks

Digitrak

Send me your e-mail. I have a pic of the servo mounted on the wingtip that I can send to you. It's not how the Tru-Trak instructions show you, but I did it this way. Others may have other ideas.

We just put one in an RV4 that I'm "test flying" right now, and though I don't have any pics of it, I'll try to explain it. We sort of *******ized an RV8 type install and put it under the floor (where the rear footwells would go) and ran it to the torque tube between the sticks. Sort of a kludged version, but it's the only place we could do it in this particular plane (riveted on wingtips, footwells too big, etc..). Overall works fine!

Cheers,
Stein.

A/P Servo

I placed mine inf ront of the spar to the right of the F seat under the floor. I was a great place for electrical as well. I have tip tanks so the tips were out for me.
Bullet

Easy

The wing leveller servo was a piece of cake. The brackets all fit perfectly. The only thing you have to do is drill a hole in the bracket.

All of the install drawings are on the Trutrack website for download.

Frank
7a

Truetrack in a -4.

Frank - I am a bit confused are you talking about an RV4 installation or a -7A? If a -4 did Truetrack supply all the brackets? Did this include the clamp tat goes around the weldement?

Are the servos somewhat heavy?

Thanks, Steve.

Specificaly the 7a

I had not read first time you were installing in a 4.

The servos are a little weighty...Probably about 3 lbs each...If you look on the website you will see this stuff here.

Essentially the servos have about a 2" moment arm and you will drill the brackets on your control surfaces to match the 2 inch moment about the fulcrum.

Even if there is no specific kit offered I think you will see how to do it by looking at the RV 8/7/9 mounting kits.

Cheers

Frank
7a

tru trak bank servo

Here is a picture of the servo mounted in the wing of RV9a. It connects to the aileron bellcrank and mounting brackets were included. The bottom wing skin was not installed yet so access was easy. For a retro fit, If the RV4 has an access panel on the wing over the aileron bellcrank then it might be possible to mount in thru this access if it is similar to the RV9 bell crank. Everything fit

Picture of the tru trak bank servo mounted in the RV9a wing

A/P Servo

I'm not smart enough to send a photo here, if you email me I will send you a few photos of my servo on the -4. I purchased mine built as well as adding wing tip tanks after, so the tip install was not an option. I had to remove the tanks and add bushings for the fuel lines for the tips as well as you would need to do for the tip install. I thought about this for a few days prior to installing under the R floor. gjslutz(at)adelphia.net I had the ELT in that location & is now behind the rear seat. R floor is too easy.
Bullet

I installed an ADI Pilot II to my RV-4 last fall. Both servos are mounted in the fuselage. The aileron servo was mounted under the front pilot seat, my right cheek to be exact, just a few inches rear of the aileron push tubes. Brackets for both servos were supplied by Tru Trak as well as the clamp to go around the control column. Even supplied most of the AN hardware required to mount. I did as I recall need a few extra bolts though. I cheated and purchased a ready made wiring harness from SteinAir Store. Plugged in and worked just great. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Just love the dual axis pilot

Hello Steve,
Double check that nut, would not like to see the bolt back out and bind on the servo case, it would ruin your day.
Regards,

Loose nuts!

DP - thanks for the reminder. In fact if you read the text in the blog " The note is to remind me that I have yet to adjust the pushrod length and install a nylock." you will see it's in hand.....but better safe than sorry.

It did prompt the thought that when I do set it up for good it might be better to reverse the bolt. That way if it did undo it would fall clear. Having said that you have to decide if you believe in Nylocks or not!

Thanks again.

Back