What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hotel recommendation, Carlsbad, NM

Low Pass

Well Known Member
Friend
Planning a possible trip in the next few weeks to Carlsbad, NM. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice and different or unique place to stay? Planning on doing the caverns and possibly hiking the hills/mountains nearby.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

I have some bad news. Carlsbad is in the midst of a huge energy boom and lodging prices have skyrocketed. Here is a recent quote from the Carlsbad Current Argus. "While tourists are still visiting Carlsbad's attractions, many are skipping an overnight stay here because of the high hotel prices ? a weekday night at the Holiday Inn, for instance, can run near $400. Many hotels in Carlsbad charge higher rates than similar hotels in New York City, Chicago or Washington, D.C."

That being said you might contact the Trinity Hotel.

Trinity.jpg

I have heard, but not verified that they haven't jacked up their prices near as much as most places, and it is unusual (converted old bank building with nice restaurant).

Bryan,

I am currently based in Carlsbad in hangar B1. I am here doing my part to help get America energy independent, or, maybe just get the bills paid. I am working the oil fields of the Permian Basin. When I first came to town I stayed in the Best Western Stevens Inn and was quite happy with the room I had. Lot's of space with separate bedroom, large bathroom etc. Food in the restaurant was so so.

There is alot of tanker truck and other oil field truck traffic to watch out for in the area. Especially first thing in the mornings as the crews head out. The road down to the caverns is not so bad as some of the others.

I have an RV6A in the hangar. If you really want to get your bird inside, I might be able to help out. My hangar is not a Tee hangar so another RV might fit, have not really tried it... Also, the FBO has a nice newer facility and some large hangars that you could probably get overnight parking in, air conditioned too! Do not know the cost but they seem to be nice folks to deal with.

Drop me a PM if you want to follow up...

Wow! Checked some prices and that's not what I was expecting. Thank you both for the information and offers for assistance! This was simply a fun getaway idea. Need to double-check the options tonight.

Bryan

Last edited:
Whites City

20 years ago I flew the wife and kids to Whites City near the caverns. They have a landing strip and the hotel came out and picked us up and we stayed the night. It was really fun.

20 years ago I flew the wife and kids to Whites City near the caverns. They have a landing strip and the hotel came out and picked us up and we stayed the night. It was really fun.

This illustrates some of the changes the oil field boom has caused. I believe there are two Motels at White's City. One of them is 100% booked for years into the future by an oil company.

The airport has been closed for 10 years or so.

Wow! I guess we made the trip just in time, 13 months ago. We stayed in a Best Western and it was not cheap, but something like $140/night iirc. Expensive hotels are too bad, because we had a nice trip. Good FBO at the airport, they had a rental car but also would hold the keys and paperwork from Avis in town.
You can check the rates in White City, close to the Caverns; but you still probably want to drive to Carlsbad for food.

Alright - landing and rental car at Roswell. Staying in Artesia. Caves Friday. Hiking as available.

Any good sites within 100 miles or so of Roswell for some aerial videography??

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks! Also looks like the Capitan Mountains and nice terrain near Ruidoso. Lots of "Rs" over there though.

Climb Guadalupe peak if you have time. Certainly don't miss the International UFO museum and all the wacky gift shops in Roswell. :p

Karl

Climb Guadalupe peak if you have time. Certainly don't miss the International UFO museum and all the wacky gift shops in Roswell. :p

Karl
UFO museum is definitely on the to do list! Guadalupe Peak is temperature dependent...

Thx Karl!

Back