What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titanium bucking bars

captainron

Well Known Member
While perusing the McMaster-Carr catalog recently, I came across titanium bar stock in just about any thickness and width. For example, 2"x 1"x 12" long is about $369.00. A foot-long piece of this would make four 1"x2"x3"long bucking bars. Less than $95/ea.

Titanium defeats the purpose of swapping from steel. You want the bucking bar heavier than steel, not lighter.

Unless you really meant to type Tungsten instead?

Okay, 1-1/8" x 12" round stock is about $413.00. Could saw or machine width and height and still get several bars out of one length of Tungsten. Or, get larger dia. for back-rivet bar.

captainron said:
Okay, 1-1/8" x 12" round stock is about $413.00. Could saw or machine width and height and still get several bars out of one length of Tungsten. Or, get larger dia. for back-rivet bar.
That round stock must weigh a ton!
I got the impression tungsten is a bear to work - just how much trouble is it to make bucking bars out of round stock? And what would you do with the scrap?

I've heard it machines like ordinary steel, which means you can saw or grind it. As far as the scrap, I'm thinking anti-Al Quida ordnance.

Back