What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Cable tension " R"

godspeed

Well Known Member
Well since I am a height challenged person (I am 5'6") I have placed my rudder pedals as far forward as I thought necessary..as close as the middle support will allow.. so when I was connecting the
rudder cables, I really didn't need the little spacers that connect to the pedals
but I don't see any other way to keep it true to the grommet ,I hope this is understandable.. I am confused just typing it..:) when its connected directly to the pedals they are exactly straight up and down, I need to be able to use the brake.. so I wanted them close.. anyway more than that, I think if I make some really short ones they will help the alignment were the end of the cable wants to catch in the plastic gromment.. but I was also wondering if anyone as has used any type of springs to keep the pedals pulled back so they will auto center when the right is pushed and then left and it will come back to neutral ? I just had my 1st visit from the eaa tech guy and he asked me about it and I didn't know what to say.. (no rv people at this end of the earth)

Any help would be great..

Danny..

Last edited:
Danny
It does seem at first that the rudder pedals need some sort of return spring, but once you fly the plane it becomes quite clear that return springs aren't needed. About attaching the rudder cable to the pedals, I would stay with the original design. Attaching them offset would cause a bending momment that the attach bracket was not designed for. You don't need much force to work the rudder but sometimes you can really stand on the pedals while pushing the brakes.

Cam

Rudder Pedals

You may want to also place the rudders in the "normal position just to drill extra mounting holes for a possible future owner. Keep the steel links available for a possible future owner. And most of all, if you move your seat back to the forward of the three locations, that would also shorten the distance to the rudder pedals -- provided you have enough clearance between you and the control stick. Obviously that would be the deciding factor as to where you put your seat back hinge pin at the bottom of the seat. I mention this since moving the rudder bars aft also shortens the leg room for any passenger you have in the right seat.

As far as springs to pull the rudder pedals forward, no, don't go there. You would have to get equal tension on those springs to keep the rudder "trimmed" in normal flight. For tall guys with long legs like me, I have talked with other tall RV pilots who move the pedals out of the way with their toes in long cruise flight segments. I am talking about putting their toes past the rudder pedals and pivoting the bottom of the pedals aft to provide more leg room. This lets the rudder cables go slack when this is done. You rudder springs would prevent this, but for you that would not be a problem.

One thing to note, during my first flight in an RV-9A, I pushed on the rudder pedals when going 180 mph and the it was like pushing on a brick wall. The idea of your "rudder return springs" modification becomes a non-issue when you consider that and the leg room topic I mentioned above.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ

Thanks Jerry , Cam

I think i will wait till Abby is done with my seats and pannels and then measure to see if I need to adjust the pedals, I put cusions to try and
simulate ,LIke I said I am 5'6" tall and 158 pounds but I don't want the
control stick too close :) I did drill a few extra holes for moving the pedals
forward for othe pilots if need be.. as If I was buying it I would not want to
crawl up under there to move them without predrilled holes.. I don't plan on
selling this thing but my kids might when I am dead and gone.. :) as they cash out all my other life savings, aint that a great feeling, anyway the slack cables don't cause any problems I suppose if the taller guys are pulling the
pedals back to get them out of the way for more room in cruse , I just don't have any wind in the garage to keep them tight.. I am going to make those brackets tonight and bolt them up.. I just was thinking they needed turn buckles or some way to tighten them up a little.. too much slack for me..
but I guess that ok.. as of now the groment that bolts to the pedal is hitting
trying to go through the gromment, so my pedals are too close maybe I can put a sleave on it so it won't hang up there.. but I will give up the springs..
Idea..

Danny ..

Back