What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to fasten connectors to Aircraft

vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
I'm building the wings and have installed the duckworks light. I know I need to attach the ground lead to the airframe, and will use a ring terminal. The question is:

How to fasten the ring terminal to the Aircraft?

I plan to drill a hole in the end rib and fasten there, but with what type of HW?
Is stainaless ok? Should I use Cad-Plated steel? If Cad-plated, where can I get that? Do I need a star washer to bite into the Al?

Thanks

Just drill and install a #6 or #8 nutplate and put the ring terminal around a regular screw. Simple as pie. Make sure you have a good electrical connection between the terminal and airframe (i.e. remove any primer, etc).

Corrosion kills a good ground

BP:

Well, almost. A close look at Circular,AC-43.13-1B, pages 11-76 through 79 show multiple methods for installing grounds. One method is the afore mentioned nutplate. A second method uses a screw and nut and both aluminum and cadmium plated steel washers. Aluminum alloy washers are used next to the aluminum structure with a second washer (cadmium plated steel) against the screw head and nut. This is to prevent corrosion and ultimate loss of ground as a result of dissimilar metal contact at the current carrying joint.

The circular has a wealth of information on "acceptable methods, techniques and practices".

Jekyll

Jekyll is right about AC 43.13-1B. No one should be building an airplane without this book at arms reach.

Back