What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Website Search Engines

smithhb

Well Known Member
Can anyone recommend a FREE website search engine? All I can find that are free have advertising attached to the result.

I would prefer one that is a script which runs internally within the website.

I was in your bind a while ago. The easiest search engine for me was htdig(http://www.htdig.org/), however my web server doesn't allow me to compile cgi scripts. What I ended up using was Fluid Dynamics Search Engine (FDSE) (http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/). It is a perl based search engine with a frontend that can be php, asp, etc.. I modified it to work within the layout of my site for a more integrated look.

Not Free

I know you want something free, so I doubt I will be of any real help, but I did just add search to my site a few weeks ago. I couldn't find a product that I liked, without adds, that allowed me to index 200+ pages, for $0. I gave up and went with Zoom Seach Engine by Wrensoft. It is pricey but VERY cool, very easy to deploy, and plenty of support (for multiple platforms). You index the site from your PC and upload the needed files to your site, or you can have Zoom do it for you automatically.

If I had known about the FDSE search I probably would have given it a shot. Oh well.

Edit... there is also the Picoseach service, but as with many "free" products I found, I was limited to the number of pages I could index with the free version.

Last edited:
Could you just use Google? It allows in-site search also, but it ain't AD free too. It should be simple, powerful and doens't need more than few lines of HTML ie. no CGI or similar required from your site.

Google

Pirkka said:
Could you just use Google? It allows in-site search also, but it ain't AD free too. It should be simple, powerful and doens't need more than few lines of HTML ie. no CGI or similar required from your site.

I looked into Google but cannot find where they post the HTML code for in-site searching. All I can find is their enterprise-wide solutions for $$$$. An interesting tidbit: my son works for Google but he had to sign a confidentiality agreement as a condition of employment that he cannot tell anyone anything about what he does...or even where his office is. He is allowed to only say whether he likes his job or doesn't. You'd think he worked for the CIA...

smithhb said:
I looked into Google but cannot find where they post the HTML code for in-site searching.
Try from here: http://www.google.com/intl/en/services/websearch.html and there is link to "Google Free WebSearch". Accept terms to proceed. Then you should be on page where is three different ways to make Google search box to your page. One for whole web, one for whole web w/o adult content and last one for insite search. Rest should piece of cake...

smithhb said:
...or even where his office is. He is allowed to only say whether he likes his job or doesn't. You'd think he worked for the CIA...
It's between Ampitheatre Pkwy and Charleston Road in Mountain View, CA. OH NO! I think I just signed my own death warrant... is that the google-squad at the door?!?! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Back