What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop and engine mount for the Subaru?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi fellow builders.

A friend of mine is considering a Subaru H-6 in his RV-7, and he has trouble deciding which prop to buy.

What props do you with Subaru-engines use in your 7's? And what size?

Also; someone told him that he couldn't use the Eggenfellner engine mount on a 7-taildragger without modifying it first? Is this true?
Is it any of you out there who has experience with a Subaru in a taildragger -7?

Best regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway

Robert Paisley has the Eggenfellner H6 in his RV7 with MT prop. I think your prop choices with the Egg H6 will be either MT or the new 28 lb. carbon fiber prop being tested now. I think 3 and 4 blade versions of the new prop will be offered.

The props that work best are on the Eggenfellner order form on the website (Sensenich three and four blade, and the MT three blade). The one that is not listed that is working well for those using it, is the IVO Magnum three blade. I just had a guy stop by my FBO last week with an H-6 and IVO prop in a taildraggin' -7, and he LOVES it.

As far as the mount goes, Jan told me that if I was gonna build a -7, that I had to get the mount from Van's, and send it to him for modification. He said to get the non powder-coated mount because it's cheaper, and he will powder-coat it after they mod it. Essentially, the only thing he uses from the Van's mount is the pre-drilled gear tubes. They are welded to his mount for the H-6.

Back