What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intersection fairing shape

crabandy

Well Known Member
I'm planning on remaking my intersection fairings and would like to tweak the shape/mounting slightly. I've got the mounting figured out but would like some pointers on shape.
I had quite a bit of oil running everywhere during the 0 G testing, looked like the airflow was good except for the trailing edge of my upper intersection fairings. I'm thinking I need to enlarge the trailing edge radius but not sure how much. Also I'm thinking about trying to shrink the front radius. Ideas?
50C36DA6-C600-45B3-A11B-280D1039F22B_zpsixpfbc7x.jpg

Hey Andy,
I may not be much help as your fairing looks like a good start. The only thing I might add is that I learned from sailing that a keel needed to have a fairly sharp flat trailing edge. Not blunt or rounded. Kinda goes against logic as my first new set of Hobie rudders I spent time making them sharp until I found out this was a no-no. Instead used a file to file the back flat. Seems like that would be hard to carry up into the larger part of the fairing.

Hey Andy,
I may not be much help as your fairing looks like a good start. The only thing I might add is that I learned from sailing that a keel needed to have a fairly sharp flat trailing edge. Not blunt or rounded. Kinda goes against logic as my first new set of Hobie rudders I spent time making them sharp until I found out this was a no-no. Instead used a file to file the back flat. Seems like that would be hard to carry up into the larger part of the fairing.

Yeah, first set was a good start but I think I can do better. As for the trailing edge, you think the curved radius trailing edge of the fairing is fine but to "flatten" the trailing edge with a file to about 1/8 inch?

When I made these I basically tried to mimic what I've seen on other RV's.

I cut a shape for the trailing edge out of .063 aluminum and taped it into position behind the trailing edge of the leg fairing.
DA9D283D-7479-4BC6-A597-951082104952_zpsbyhhu6yb.jpg

Smushed clay around it and rolled a shape into it with various round objects.
863F2AD3-6A9A-4EC5-9883-4A3C30115EDC_zps6eijxbau.jpg

16B9469A-9082-499A-BE34-219B4283A33F_zpsz79avtqn.jpg

F83ACF54-27F6-4362-947B-A0798C96115C_zpsu6zqg2jw.jpg

I originally split the upper intersection fairings along the trailing edge, but on the next set I would like to split them parallel with the gear leg fairing on the underneath side. Kinda like I did with the lower intersection fairings.
3A64B5C6-C4D1-44AD-8C5A-BA9935A7DB55_zpsman6rtx4.jpg

Any tips/ideas on making my second set are appreciated, hoping to have a better plan besides "Here Goes Nothing!"

Back