What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto Spark Plug Terminal came off

tc1234c

Well Known Member
During run up I noticed rough running on electronic ignition. When the cowl was removed I saw the #2 ignition wire was laying on the side and not connected to the spark plug. Closer inspection showed that the spark plug terminal is unscrewed from the plug and is still in the ignition wire boot. I checked all other spark plugs and their terminals are still secure. The spark plug is NGK Iridium BR8EIX with 810 hrs in service.

It's recommended that you use the plugs with a solid terminal. They are harder to find. I order mine from sparkplugs.com.

George

Pretty well documented in here. Never use the screw on terminal plugs. Get the solid top types. I use NGK #3961, available at local O'Reilly auto parts or Amazon.

Last edited:
Both ways

Ted, I used NGK BR8ES plugs and you can get them both ways screw on caps or solid cap, I get the solid caps.

Thanks for information. When I ordered my plugs I did not realize the difference. I ordered BR8EIX and got BR8EIX #5044. It turned out #5044 has screwed on cap. Just checked and found BR8EIX #6747 that has a solid terminal. Most websites only list BR8EIX and we don't know whether it is solid or screw on terminals. One more listen learned.

Last edited:
If a person was to already have the 5422 plugs (screw off terminats), could they be made to be "solid" by securing them with the strongest version of Loctite?

Bevan

If a person was to already have the 5422 plugs (screw off terminats), could they be made to be "solid" by securing them with the strongest version of Loctite?

Bevan

May or may not affect conductivity,I would think a light squeeze with a side cutter malformed the terminal end would lock it in place. Still auto plugs are cheap compared to aviation,nothing like a fresh set of plugs.
RHill

Screw on tight

Everyone once in a while I will mistakenly get the screw on caps instead of the solid core plugs. I just screw them on really tight with pliers prior to installation and have never had a problem.
810 hours of service is pretty good. I think the plug was telling you it was time for a change. :)

Vic

May or may not affect conductivity,I would think a light squeeze with a side cutter malformed the terminal end would lock it in place. Still auto plugs are cheap compared to aviation,nothing like a fresh set of plugs.
RHill

IMHO it is easier, faster, more cost effective and just safer to replace the screw cap ones with solid cap ones. At $2.19/ea you are talking $17.52 for 8 brand new plugs.

:cool:

IMHO it is easier, faster, more cost effective and just safer to replace the screw cap ones with solid cap ones. At $2.19/ea you are talking $17.52 for 8 brand new plugs.

:cool:

I think the OP has more expensive plugs than that.

One possible way to "save" a set of plugs with screw on caps is to slightly crimp them with your standard terminal crimping tool. You're just looking to distort the threads enough (like a lock nut) to keep them secure.

I've done it, and it worked fine for me.

Back