What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting

How many gallons

I can not tell you for sure on a 9A but I helped a friend paint his 6 and it took I believe 4 gallons although if he had used a HVLP vs.air pressure I fell it would have been a lot less.The coatings co. where he bought the paint was closed on the wk end and what they said and what we used were alot different.Make sure you have plenty if working on off hours. Good luck our job came out excellent.Looks like a year or so before I will worry about it. Jim

I painted a Cessna 120 in 1981. It took 3 gallons of base color to paint the entire airplane. I had about a quart left over when I finished. I used DuPont Imron. An RV airplane has less area than the Cessna. Paint is heavy. I wouldn't put more on than necessary. I still own the Cessna and it still looks pretty good.
More than 30 years of owning airplanes have taught me that an airplane is near pristine perfection for only a short time after you finish it, then it's all downhill from there, no matter what you do. Maybe slowly downhill, but still downhill.
Been thinking about painting our RV-6, but it's still just thinking.

It takes 2 gallons of main color and about 3 quarts of trim to paint a 6.
Plus the reducer and kicker for each.
That's after proper priming.
Costs about $1200. if you do it all yourself.
Carr

Back