What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More magnets, Arrrrrrgggggh!

13brv3

Well Known Member
OK, we all know about the stupid magnet that Garmin put in the base of the XM antenna that they include with the 396 unit. Most of us also know that they made an "A" version of the XM antenna for the 496. This is the same, but minus the magnets.

Moments ago, I was in the process of mounting my GPS antennas on the glareshield. I needed to measure the GPS antenna for a piece of velcro, and as I got my ruler near it, SNAP. Now Garmin put a magnet in the base of the GPS antenna. Sheesh...

The new antenna is labeled P/N: 013-00201-00 GA25 BNC.

Is this the same antenna everyone else got with their 496? I'm about to do some surgery on it to see if I can do a magnetectomy. I'm goin' in...

Rusty (victim of Garmin's practical jokes)

magnets gone

At it turns out, the magnets are really easy to remove. Just peel off the label, take out the 4 tiny screws on the corners of the metal plate, and remove the plate. The magnets are barely glued to the back side of the plate. I just plucked them off, and put the plate back without them. I didn't even bother putting the label back since I'll be velcroing the antenna down.

Cheers,
Rusty (moving right along)

Rusty,
Just got off the phone with Garmin. Your antenna was the only one shipped with the magnets.....they said they wanted to see how you'd react :D .

Just kidding. Thanks for all the input....got my prop bolt tool, less-volatile brake fluid, and fuel/brake lines all in the last week. PS - Elba is at $2.65 and Picayune is at $2.99 so don't go buying any gas from 2r4, except maybe for your first flight.

See ya,
Tobin

Back