What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any one with a good Crystal Ball?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
Any predictions as to when Garmin will come out with a replacement for the 430? I've heard of a 430W, with WAAS, that put's it in the same price range as a 480. Does the 480 have a future, or will it's UPSAT heritage mean an early demise? Are there any competitors on the horizon?

waas

Rick_A said:
Any predictions as to when Garmin will come out with a replacement for the 430? I've heard of a 430W, with WAAS, that put's it in the same price range as a 480. Does the 480 have a future, or will it's UPSAT heritage mean an early demise? Are there any competitors on the horizon?
my brother just got the gns430 no WAAS but can get it for 2000$yet the 196 hand held has it whats up with that. :eek:

cytoxin said:
my brother just got the gns430 no WAAS but can get it for 2000$yet the 196 hand held has it whats up with that. :eek:

WAAS for handhelds is *way* different from WAAS for certified panel mounts. To meet the TSO for WAAS, you need to include "integrity monitoring" and a bunch of other things. This is sorta like RAIM for non-WAAS, but different. It also has to be able to maintain a navigation solution, when you loose a satelite.

Back