What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HITS or not?

aadamson

Well Known Member
I know I've been in the middle of a few conversations about the pro's and con's of HITS (Highway In The Sky). Most of those threads were before I had any actual experience.

On paper it sounded like the best thing since sliced bread, and I can now say that in actuality, it's even better!

For those nay sayers, you have to try it.

I recently had the chance to fly behind the Chelton System for about 8 hours of flying. Some of this was training and some was in the right seat.

On my first training flight, the instructor coached me thru setting up a target altitude, and a Direct to for a specific airport. All of which was so easy, I couldn't believe it. (Remember, my recent experience has been 120 or so hours behind a G1000 in a 182 which I own). Once we were setup, he said, ok just fly the boxes and ring? Ring I said puzzled? Yep, see that little line with a loop on it on the 3D display? Just keep your airplane in the center of it, and we'll go right there.

Ok, so after a couple of mins getting used to the controls on the Lancair ES that I was flying (I've never flown side stick before). I managed to nail the heading and altitude for well over 10 mins, just hand flying. I noticed immediately that the altitude didn't waver by more than 20 feet. Now, this would be real easy in dead calm air, but a front had just come thru the bend area and it was pretty turbulent with the clouds and sun.

Now some may say, well, that's easy in straight and level flight, but how about turns. After a while, you get to the point that you start to beat yourself up of you don't keep the airplane (on the screen) centered in the boxes. Even turns for approaches, holds, turn arounds, etc start to become easy. And you'll notice immediately that your course over the ground is "perfect". Intercepts to course are just a smidge more tricky but not really. The CFS system uses a "turn noodle" to tell you where your turn course will take you, and if you use that to "lead" the turn, you'll end up right in the box.

I'd say that after about 15 mins, I had mastered the basics (mind you I didn't need the primer on Glass vs. Steam and my scan already was accustomed to glass presentation). It's exactly like they say. Like flying a video game. I don't ever want to fly behind anything else after this experience. I was already hooked on Glass before this, but now, I'm hooked on the value of HITS.

I did probably 4-5 approaches, some IFR, some VFR and following the boxes was just too easy. From a safety standpoint, keeping the airplane where ATC wants it and away from Terrafirma is a good thing and working to stay "in the box" continues to show its value.

For those that are just thinking about it, there are a variety of companies that offer the technology. Some offer augmenting feature additions, like the CFS "Noodle". So pick your price point, but my vote is certainly PRO and not CON for this technology.

I had a great time and can't wait to fly behind my own.

Last edited:
If all planes had these things it'd be raining aluminum from all the midairs. Sounds cool for IFR, but I hate the idea of folks using these for VFR nav and having their eyes inside the cockpit the whole flight.

aadamson said:
The CFS system uses a "turn noodle" to tell you where your turn course will take you, and if you use that to "lead" the turn, you'll end up right in the box.
I like the "noodle". It allows you to go from "where am I" to "where will I be in 1 minute?" Yes, you, as the pilot, should know where you will be in 1 minute, but the noodle serves to improve situational awareness.

Agreed!

I have flown HIT's displays in a number of aircraft and simulators, and can't agree more Alan - they make instrument flying quite intuitive. I think the major reason is that the "predictor" capability - you don't just know where you are (as when reading needles on a steam gauge ILS head), but where you are going. The GRT HITs display shows the next several boxes,and as long as you keep the velocity vector (the ring with the little cross hairs) in the second or third box, you are going to fly a very smooth line, close to the desired track. Like looking far down the road, rather than at your hood when driving a car.

I have gotten into to simulators for aircraft that I ave never touched before, and flown smooth approaches to minimums simply because they have the HITs on their glass (or better yet, try it on a HUD!). This is a major step toward using the capability of software and computers in glass cockpits to present information in a more useful way - rather than simply copying steam gauge pictures.

Obviously, as Steve pointed out, you have to be careful not to let yourself get mesmerized by these things when flying in VFR conditions, when you need to be looking outside - but for instrument flying, these types of advancements should increase safety margins considerably.

Paul

HITS missed approach?

Adam, am I correct in understanding that the Chelton has the missed approach programmed for the HITS? Paul, am I correct that the GRT does not have the missed approach?Jonathan

The GRT doesn't actually have ANY approach procedures "programmed into it" - all of that data comes from whatever navigator you are using. I am driving my system from a GNS 430, and that does have MA procedures - and they show up on the GRT. Inside the final approach fix, you get a "missed" buton on the GRT bezel, and you can hit that to give vertical guidance (GPS based) on the miss.

Paul

JonathanCook said:
Adam, am I correct in understanding that the Chelton has the missed approach programmed for the HITS? Paul, am I correct that the GRT does not have the missed approach?Jonathan

Unlike the GRT, the CFS system has all the Jeppesen data built into it. This includes all legs of the approaches. What makes this even better is that if you load and activate an approach for a specific airport, you see the "full approach" on the MFD *and* the PFD. This include all the PT, HOLDS, MISSED procedures, etc. It also allows you to create any HOLD that may be asked for and that becomes a part of your flight plan. As an added bonus, this includes all the altitude information as well.

For example. I flew the Non-Precision approach into Bend, OR. It starts with hold if needed at the Deschutes VOR. The CFS system will determine if, based upon your direction of flight to the IAF, you need an specific entry, it will then give you that entry pictorially and as a part of the flight plan, including the altitude limits, which can be overridden if so directed.

If you then couple the AP to the flight plan, the airplane will fly the hold entry, turnaround, and hold precisely, including altitude. The legs on the hold are pre-calculated to provide the right length based upon speed, etc. Once you leave the hold and are inbound on the "step down" approach, each altitude target is also included in the approach information such that you never have to touch another dial and the AP, if coupled, will fly each step down (note, this does require a vertical guidance type GPS - TruTrak Sorcerer in this specific example, but the DigiFlight will work as well). You just simply monitor your approach descents and power requirements.

Because, not only the inbound course, but the missed course is displayed both on the MFD and the PFD, once you are inbound from the FAF to the MAP, you can activate the Missed and the CFS system will fly both vertical and horizontal navigation data again, only requiring power control. (We could all wish for Auto Throttles :) ). Again, on the Missed, if there is a course reversal, the system we determine the proper direction, type, etc (hold or PT) and will cause the coupled AP to fly that course.
All of this flight path information is generated in HITS as well, so if you hand flying, you have the specific information, including terrain data (BTW, did I mention that it's TAWS Class C or B terrain info?). It's a very complete system and when used the FreeFlight WAAS module, is approved for /G type, and WAAS approaches. As a side benefit, that module also completes the requirements for sole navigation via WAAS GPS if so desired.

I'm very excited that I selected this system for my airplane. It has so much more power and flexibility than the G1000 that I fly behind today!

Sounds awesome, but I'll bet the price of admission is beyond those of us who are not oil tycoons or furtune 500 CEO's...

Price is sorta relative. I built a spreadsheet with the cost of an IFR system with PFD, MFD, single nav/com, WAAS certifiable GPS, etc. It was amazing to see how the price really wasn't that out of the ordinary. In fact, to be complete, I also included a 6 pack instrument in similar fashion. Oh, one other note, I used all electric gauges.

If you shop the show specials, etc. You can build your dream panel very economical. Mine loaded is less than 49K and that includes everything, including the work for the panel, radios, chelton, etc. I've got a few things in mine that could be tailored and that would lower the price by around 5-8K.

Yes, I know some will say that is more than they have in their whole airplane. But I'm building a utility airplane, one that I can get it, and go places and not just fly it on the weekend in mostly VFR weather.

As I've said a bunch of times, build to your mission profile, that includes, airplane, performance, engine, avionics, etc. But don't think you can't get to what you want if you shop hard and design well.

Great info on HITS

Adam,
Thank you for the information on the HITS from Chelton. I an nearing the flying stage and have the Chelton EFIS coupled to the DIGITRAK TruTrak 3 axis autopilot with Garmin 430 and stack backup. I went all electric gauges also. It is always comforting to hear that the system you paid dearly for is performing as advertised.
Keep sending information as it becomes available.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV9-A 942PT (reserved) Tip-up (Chelton)
RV9-A 942WG (reserved) slider (Garmin 430 stack)

Raining planes

:eek:
If all planes had these things it'd be raining aluminum from all the midairs. Sounds cool for IFR, but I hate the idea of folks using these for VFR nav and having their eyes inside the cockpit the whole flight.

Please don't think I am flaming you, but don't you think our predecessors thought the same thing about the addition of all the gauges to the panels of VFR planes? :rolleyes: As an instructor I share your concern, as a pilot I can't wait to get behind my own glass panel with dual GRT's. :D

Back