What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS monitor vs EI MVP 50

Dean

I am getting ready to decide on an engine monitor. I like the Advanced Flight Systems monitor the best (visually). It appears to function the same as the EI MVP-50 unit. Everyone says the MVP-50 is "better" and the way to go. Since they appear to function the same, why is the MVP 50 better. I like the AF-2500 unit because I can pick up the information visually beter than the MVP-50. But if it has bugs or is not reliable, I would rather not chose the AF-2500 system from Advanced. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

Dean said:
I am getting ready to decide on an engine monitor. I like the Advanced Flight Systems monitor the best (visually). It appears to function the same as the EI MVP-50 unit. Everyone says the MVP-50 is "better" and the way to go. Since they appear to function the same, why is the MVP 50 better. I like the AF-2500 unit because I can pick up the information visually beter than the MVP-50. But if it has bugs or is not reliable, I would rather not chose the AF-2500 system from Advanced. Any insight is appreciated.
While EI makes great instruments (I had a panel full in my RV-8), I think the AF-2500 has a better featureset and is a WAY better value. There are lots of these units out there and no complaints of any reliability problems. Also, company support is excellent. I believe the EI unit is STC's for certified ships which may explain the significant price delta.

What is the real price difference?

I'm getting real close to ordering an MVP-50 to take advantage of the $300 rebate. Van's is selling the MVP-50 for $4200, so the net price with the probes is $3900. It looks to me like the AFS 2500/3400 is around $3500 with probes. That only a $400 delta (or as I tell my wife .4 airplane dollars).

I feel like EI has a solid reputation and a lot of experience with certified equipment which I think is a plus. I like the MVP-50 a little bit better than the AFS and the EI unit is little smaller than the AFS, which helps on panel design.

The choice of Bonanza drivers

FWIW - I also follow several Bonanza lists and there is a lot of people (who seem to have bottomless bank accounts) that are replacing perfectly good, late model JPI and EDM engine monitors with the Xerion unit. They are getting them done with field aprovals as the unit does not have an STC yet. The lean function is what seems to be driving them to this choice.

Thanks for all the input. I think I am leaning toward the AFS. I will see if I can look at one in person to make sure I feel the same. Dean

Redundancy

If you are considering 'Glass' filght instruments, then using GRTs http://www.grtavionics.com/ gives you a much more flexible package, as the screens are multi-functional. That is you can display either Flight Instruments, Moving Map or Engine Monitor OR combinations of any two.

Two screens will give you a very powerful cockpit. Flight Instruments on one and Engine Monitor on the other for Take-off and Climb and then a split screen of Flight Instrument/Engine Monitor and Moving Map on the Cruise.

Also, the GRT Map/Nav system is even easier to use than the Garmin system.

IMAO
Pete.

Back