What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB Antennas

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I've made several post regarding ADSB's in the past and how they work. I sometimes get questions about antenna placement and whether or not I get good reception.

I don't profess to be any kind of guru on this, but my system works great.

I have a SkyRadar D2 ADSB receiver for both 978 and 1090 bands. I used the provided whip antenna's for a while and they worked great, but looked bad just placed on the glare shield.

You can see them in this photo, one on either side of the G-Meter.

8333542291_3dda09831f_c.jpg

I decided to mount permanent transponder antenna's and see how they worked.

I called Stein and told him what I wanted to do and he sent me a couple of these transponder sticks.

104-12%20ANTENNA-XPDR%20L%20DSC02612.jpg

http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=42

I also needed to get from the back of the D2, which uses the SMA connectors. Stein sells converters that take the SMA to BNC. Not the cheapest way, but really works well and easy. Used BNC's on RG400 to both antenna's.

I mounted the two monopole antennas on the fairing between the left wing and the fuse bottom. No, I didn't measure wave lengths or anything, I just drilled where they would fit and put them in. Works good, lasts a long time. The single monopole in the background is my transponder antennae.

12990843344_32d2c23956_b.jpg

Like I said, I'm not an antennae guru and I'm sure someone will chime in here and say don't do it this way, but hey, it works great for me. No interference with anything that I can notice. I get ADSB signals on the ground if a station is anywhere near by and at my home base in Dahlonega, I get stations climbing through 800 feet. Have seen as many as 12 stations on the EFIS.

I also use the Trig TT31 Transponder with the WAAS GPS fed from my GTN650, so I have full in/out ADSB. I can't believe how many airplanes are flying around me all the time!

Last edited:
That is exactly the antennas and positioning we used in our panel upgrade. We also have the Skyradar, and it works great.

Best of all, there is an ADS-B ground station on an oil rig just 1.8 miles away -- so we get traffic and weather on the island as soon as we start up.
:D

I have also installed my ADSB antennas at the same location, only one each side and I have used the blade antenna as they create less drag. It works great, I pick up stations on the ground.

It's interesting that the SkyRadar and the GDL-39 are both dual frequency receivers but one has two antennas vs one antenna.

I would be curious to know if the Garmin has an internal antenna splitter or something more technical - and if the same would be efficient for SkyRadar installations.

I love the clearance, or flight plan, or whatever it is written on the cocktail menu :eek:

I found SMA connectors for RG-400 (crimp I think) at mouser and pretty inexpensively too.

Thanks

Thanks Jerry I've been waiting to see them.
That is clean and easy.
Thanks for posting them.

Gents

For what's it worth PI MFG Co has the SMA to BNC adaptors for about $2.50 for RG58, RG400 and lots more and will fabricate a cable for very little cost.

Ron B

I just finished installing a SkyRadar D in my -10. I unscrewed the two antennas that came with the unit, and glued them to the forward side of the front door posts (fiberglass). I found some coax with SMA (one male, one female) connectors at NewEgg.com (intended to extend WiFi antennas). Shipping cost more than the coax.
Works fine, I see multiple (today it was 6) ground stations on 978 and lots of airliners on 1090. Feeds both GRT HX (USB cable) and iPad (WingX) via WiFi.

Back