What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell prop numbers

Jonathan Cude

Hey all,

I am looking at buying a used Hartzell, 38 hours TT. However the prop is an

HC-C2YK-1BF / F7666A

and Van sells an: HC-C2YK-1BF / F7666A4

the subtle difference is the "A4" at the end, but i'm too dumb to know what "A4" signifies. Probably the diameter of the prop...

Anyone know:

1. if it would work on an RV-7A
2. what it should sell for (ballpark figure) $$$
3. any other catches out there about the prop itself?

thanks all,

Jonathan

According to my Hartzell manual, the F7666 means 76" diameter (first two numbers, 76) the second two is a blade model # (66). The A on the prop in question means the tip is narrower and thinner. On the Van's prop, the A4 means the diameter was reduced to 72" (which is what their catalog says). I would ask the seller what the actual diameter is. If it is 76" it is probably going to be too big for a 7A for proper ground clearance. I have a 74" BA Hartzell on my 7A.

Anyone with more knowledge feel free to step in.

Roberta

Prop size vs. engine power and RV models.

Johnathan,

What engine do you have? C2YL-1BF/F7663-4 is the prop recommended for 160 HP Lycoming O-320. My invoice from Hartzell shows the full part number as HC-C2YL-1BF/F7663-4/SM8 The other sizes for engines are all detailed on this Van's web site page:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...-402-591&browse=props&product=csprop-hartzell

Look at the bottom half of the page and you will see Roberta's prop listed there, but not at the top of the page. Go figure!?!

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ

Last edited:
Hartzell Numbers

Jonathan,

As others have said, you didn't indicate what engine you have.
The HC-C2YK/1BF-7666A4 works great on an O360. Also, you could get an HC-C2YR/1BF-7666A4, as I did, from Western Aircraft Propellers in Oregon for around $3,500 plus shipping. If the prop has A2 in the numbers it is 74" diameter, A4 is 72" diameter. No "A" suffix and it is 76" diameter. I believe a 7A stands a little taller than a 6A. My 6A would suck up way too many rocks with an A2 so I purchased mine as an 7666A4.

Can't help you with the numbers for an O320.

Good Luck!

Back