What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Chicago PIREP

Spoon

My wife and I visit Chicago a couple times a year by car and have been thinking of flying over. Can any of the Chicago area RVers give any recommendations for airports that are GA friendly? Any place with hangar space?

Michigan Ave and the lakefront. I've been into PWK on business in the past, I just don't remember it being very RV friendly.

Go to Gary and hop on the train to the city. Avoid the hassle of MDW. FBO will provide ride to/from train. Hangar is available, can't recall price, but was nothing unreasonable.

You might call JA Air at Aurora, KARR. 630-549-2100

The train ride from Aurora station direct to Union Station is $6.75. But need transportation to/from the airport. This can not be a first time for JA-Air.

Good luck.

*sigh* Meigs was so perfect for the trip you're planning.

:(

I flew my instrument cross country into Meigs some years ago. Actual conditions, broke out over the water with the city in front of me, right turn and land. It was very cool and I miss it. Sour grapes...

My wife and I were there shortly after "closing" and it looked like this:

DSC00182_zps06f39419.jpg

Thanks to all for the tips....that's what I was after....someplace to land and train downtown.

Sadly, the same mindset that doomed Meigs overnight has gone national.

Maybe someday Meigs will come back - when the Cubs win the World Series!

:)

Cubs flying

That's exactly what I plan to do with my -7. A couple of trips per season to see my beloved Cubs.

Back