What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sporty's Nav/Com Equip. Tester

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Yes I bought one, and I will share my reaction. The unit comes with a calibration certificate and sticker. The unit seems to be of good quality and usage is very intuitive. That's a good thing because there are no instructions or test methods in the thin manual that comes with the unit. It does include technical drawings of the unit itself and includes a calibration procedure. The equipment required to perform the calibration probably cost more than my avionics and they would also require periodic calibration. The tester lets you make independent checks of Localizer, Glide Slope, ILS, VOR receivers and more but is a "feel good item" only in my opinion. If you get an apparent failure you don't know if is due to the avionics, the tester, or an invalid test method. At $1,300 I'm questioning my purchasing judgment more than a little bit. I would have felt a lot better about it if the manual would have defined operational procedures and test conclusions and left a little less to my imagination.

Last edited:
Back