What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workbench?

mdredmond

Well Known Member
I build a super-duper nice workbench that is a clone of one I saw posted here. It's got a replaceable MDF top that is edge-banded with chamfered trim, etc... It's going to work great for general work, but now I'm thinking about ailerons, rudder, flaps, etc... - things that need to be really straight.

I'm thinking about this 30"x60" steel bench from Northern Tool:

143195_lg.jpg

Thoughts? Will this be useful? It's got a 3000 lb rating - I could go buy a big rectangle of steel and use the entire table top to back-rivet...

Workbench

The steel seems like overkill to me, just my opinion. I can tell you for sure, I built a bench that is 4' X 10' and it is always full. Bigger is better if you have the room.

I have a 4 ft straight edge that I bought from Lowes. Check your workbench flat in all directions. If it is flat, use it.

The standard EAA workbench, the plans are all over the place, search for "EAA bench", is rock solid. Glued and screwed, you will never break it. Mine is
8 feet long 2 feet wide. You can work around the plans and make it as long or wide as you want. You can even use the wood from your wing crate to build it.

Last edited:
My main workbench is made out of a "fire" door from Lowes (or Home Depot...I forget which). I borrowed a straightedge from the tool crib and selected the straightest door I could find. The thing is rock solid. The bench itself is almost the same design as the EAA bench except I left an overhang around the edges so that I could clamp stuff down (large overhang on one side...smaller on the other 3).

The predrilled door knob works well as an electrical cord pass through. If you put the knob in back, you end up with precut pockets for the hinges in front. I put some flat moulding around the whole door. This creates little slots on the front side (formed by the moulding and the precut hinge slots) that are pretty useful (I use mine to hole the blow gun for my compressor...the hook on top fits in there perfectly).

This probably isn't what you were looking for but I thought I'd throw it out there to maybe give you some ideas.

Bowling Alley workbench

My workbench is a ten foot section of an old bowling alley lane. Sturdy, straight, level...and yes, HEAVY! I'd guess it weighs in excess of 200 pounds.
Mine is the third RV to be built on it.
Someone knew someone who knew someone who had rebuilt a bowling alley and he sold the lanes for $10 per foot.
I spent a few dollars building a support frame that has a hydraulic jack and two telescoping legs with casters on each end to move it around in the shop. It's a beast, but it sure is level and sturdy!
Don

Thanks, guys.

I'll take a straightedge to my bench and see how straight it came out. The thought of a rock-solid perfectly flat 5' table seemed great from control surfaces, but at $269, it might not be the best deal if the one I built is good 'nuf.

To be honest, I just don't want to build another one...

Back