What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans gages failing one at a time......

Steve Brown

Well Known Member
First the battery voltage gage, then right fuel, most recently CHT. All within the last year and <100 hrs.
The replacements are not expensive and are easy to install, but it's a nuisance having them go one at a time.
The airplane 7 years old with under 500 tach hours.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Just the gauges? Check your system voltage. How about panel vibration? What changed?

I have the entire set of Van gage's (fuel pressure, fuel quantity, oil temp, oil pressure, amp meter, tach). Seven years and over 600 hours and have only had to replace one fuel gage. Cheap and simple to replace but do think they should be more reliable.

sounds pretty typical.....:(

I think when my EGT went at about 80 hours, I checked the threads then, and found similar stories.
Falcon T&B also went at 75 hrs.
quality control?
- perhaps.

It sounds like they are at least consistent in MTBF. Did you cut them open to determine the root cause of failure?

First the battery voltage gage, then right fuel, most recently CHT. All within the last year and <100 hrs.
The replacements are not expensive and are easy to install, but it's a nuisance having them go one at a time.
The airplane 7 years old with under 500 tach hours.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Steve you got a bad batch of gages made on Friday. My Lucas voltmeter quit even before first engine start. I opened it up then closed with a hammer. Hey, what do we want for $36? A Davtron or EI? :D

Falcon TC gave a ghost after 200 hours. Replaced with something certified but recently it started whining too. Only trusty Whiskey compass is holding good. :D

My experience was that after 400 hours several of my Van's gauges were failing - once the oil pressure went to zero on the way into Osh I decided action was required! At the time the GRT EIS-4000 was pretty good value, so all of the Van's gauges came out except for the voltmeter which I kept to fill a hole. I then discovered that the temperature gauges were probably not very accurate. I think you get what you pay for...

Pete

Back